Sponsored by:

Self Install Rock Guard Application

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Self Install Rock Guard Application

I wanted to try something different for a rock guard treatment. The goal being to make it as inconspicious as possible, using the existing panels and body lines.

I got an 18''x 72'' roll of 3M Ventura Shield 8.5mm material to play around with for about $120. This amount will allow for application to the hood as well and plenty left over for mirrors, headlights, etc

I measure 12'' up from the rocker panel crease and applied painters tape to get a general shape. Taking this I applied it to a piece of card board (pictured), cut that out and traced the 3M making sure to leave a bit extra to wrap under the rear wheel well.
Thats really the hardest part. After that its just a matter of applying the film.

One major point, clay and wax the area prior to application. Any minor imperfection will show through, and even with a good cleaning there will be small particles bonded to the surface.
Interestingly, the few small rock chips that are there are not noticeable.

In all I am pleased with it as the area from the door to the wheel well is covered, but only 1 edge is visible.

Thoughts and constructive criticism welcome
Attached Images    
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went the magnetic route. They come on and off easily and look retro. Breaks up the long length of the 996.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Bill 944 S2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice job.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carcster88, that looks sweet. Did you make or purchase?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM
oldsock
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpowers
carcster88, that looks sweet. Did you make or purchase?
Yes, yes! Please share!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

[QUOTE=carcster88;10844504]I just went the magnetic route. They come on and off easily and look retro. Breaks up the long length of the 996.

I like the magnet idea, no doubt easier to apply. If I were to go with the retro look this would be my choice.

What degree of flex they can handle, i.e. what degree of contour would they stick to ?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 PM
carcster88
Racer

They are made by a company I forgot. They flex easy and are made for the car. These were made for the 996.

EDIT: Just found the company I got them from.

http://www.magnagrafik.com/

I have had them for years, they do not fall off in rain or snow. I would take them off and wash them every time you wash your car. The price was not that bad I thought and really make the 996 look a little different and retro. Mine are gloss black, they make them in matte black and fake carbon fiber look. The company is legit.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 PM
carcster88
Racer

[QUOTE=BAD.TAG;10845993]
Originally Posted by carcster88
I just went the magnetic route. They come on and off easily and look retro. Breaks up the long length of the 996.

I like the magnet idea, no doubt easier to apply. If I were to go with the retro look this would be my choice.

What degree of flex they can handle, i.e. what degree of contour would they stick to ?
They are pre cut for your car, kinda like a fridge magnet. They stay put when they go on. They really look stock to me. If I had a older 911, I would rather have these than the tape that goes on and fades. Plus, you can take them off when you want if you change your mood. Win win for me. Personally I think the 996 narrow body looks a little long and this breaks it up a bit. Again, just my personal opinion. Cheap little cosmetic mod that makes a big difference on the 996.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM
carcster88
Racer

OP, sorry to thread jack. Good work on yours also, they look stealth.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM
dpixxi
Advanced

[QUOTE=carcster88;10849970]
Originally Posted by BAD.TAG

They are pre cut for your car, kinda like a fridge magnet. They stay put when they go on. They really look stock to me. If I had a older 911, I would rather have these than the tape that goes on and fades. Plus, you can take them off when you want if you change your mood. Win win for me. Personally I think the 996 narrow body looks a little long and this breaks it up a bit. Again, just my personal opinion. Cheap little cosmetic mod that makes a big difference on the 996.
CC88 thanks for the shout out. We make our Stone Guards out of high energy magnetic. It holds much better than the standard energy. We also back coat the magnetic with a film that protects your finish. Our magnetic is very flexible. It will not however conform over the rocker "hump". Here is another angle on a 997.
Thanks,
Dan
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Originally Posted by carcster88
OP, sorry to thread jack. Good work on yours also, they look stealth.
No worries, it got a good discussion going

I like the magnet idea, and would def go that route for the retro look. Heck I might even throw them on over the 3M for double protection this winter

Quick Reply: Self Install Rock Guard Application