Sponsored by:

Tires thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 AM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche951
Anyone have a suggestion as to which tire is the quietest? I just put a pair of Sumitumo HTR Z3's on the back of my 2002 and at highway speeds the noise level is bordering on unacceptable.
Sumitomos are cheap tires. Great for blasting through canyons, tearing them up, then throwing them out. Not exactly good for track days, not very informative to the driver, but a great value to go shred up.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I have Pirelli P-Zeros. Excellent tires. They do tend to wear relatively quickly, but that's the trade-off you always have with sticky tires. These are great for street or track.

Every review I have ever seen of the Michelin pilot sport has been excellent, too. Can't go wrong there.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:08 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche951
Anyone have a suggestion as to which tire is the quietest?
Originally Posted by Cuda911
Every review I have ever seen of the Michelin pilot sport has been excellent, too. Can't go wrong there.
The Pilot Super Sport is an incredible dual-use tire. It's quiet and comfortable on the road, wears well and is cheaper than the PS2.

To the OP, though you said that wet traction isn't important in your case, the MPSSs are the best street tire I've ever used in the rain on track. Nothing else has even been close.

They do have soft sidewalls, though, and this means that when you start them soft, you'll have to spend your first lap deliberately stretching them to build the pressure you need, even though you have the grip.

Also, avoid R888s and the Nitto NT-01 for street use in my opinion. The noise is horrifying, and only gets worse as you wear them down.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
I don't track the car. Thread wear is very important for me. None of this 5k thread life bull **** people are posting here about.

I already put 10k miles on the car, no wear on F or R since I got it in mid July. Tires are Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
It's tread genius, the threads are on the inside!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Don't forget these too:
Brakes = Breaks
Calipers= Calibers
Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Don't forget these too:
Brakes = Breaks
Calipers= Calibers
And pedals NOT petals LOL
Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget these too:
Brakes = Breaks
Calipers= Calibers
Originally Posted by roadsession
And pedals NOT petals LOL
...Aluminium not Aluminum
Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by mcbit
...Aluminium not Aluminum
Doesn't that partly depend on what side of the pond you're on?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Doesn't that partly depend on what side of the pond you're on?
Correct. I refuse to waste an "i" when not needed. I also refuse to waste all those superfluous "u's" you folks toss into words like "colour," "humour," and others. And, to spell "tires" as "tyres"? Absurd.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunlop ZII's are excellent tires for track days, autocross and also being able to be daily driven. They do have a very stiff sidewall though (great for crisp turn in, bad for bumps and road noise)

I did read that the BF Goodrich G-Force Rival's are great tires as well.

the last few years when I autocrossed the Dunlops Direzza star spec's were always within the top contenders for quickest street tires, if not the feastest. The ZII's are supposed to be even quicker, but from my experience are a little more of a sacrafice for comfort on the streets.

I've never liked tires that are compromises of everything. I always hated the Michelin Pilots... they are pretty good street tires, and have pretty good grip. For a daily driver, they are great tires but if you are planning on doing any sort of track days, or autocross you will quickly realize you really want the best in the street legal tire classes for overall grip. Are my ZII's great in the rain? they are ok, but are hydroplane prone. I accept some sacrifice in other areas to have one of the best in one area.

One thing about the dunlops is they are great tires for autocross because they work very well without much heat in them. I've read they can get a little greasy when really heated up. It depends how long your sessions are at track days I guess...
Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Correct. I refuse to waste an "i" when not needed. I also refuse to waste all those superfluous "u's" you folks toss into words like "colour," "humour," and others. And, to spell "tires" as "tyres"? Absurd.
LOL, I "realise" that you are over "analysing" this to death. Gotta run to the loo now. Better get Hurdi in here in the mean time...
Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver

Thanks for the correction. Now please go park another press fleet car. You can entertain the owner with your "torque take-off theory", maybe he will give you a better tip.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

The spectrum from dual purpose to full-out race would start with Pilot Super Sports and Direzza star specs (although I heard the newer ones aren't as sticky as the originals), then there are some street tires that stretch the definition of "street" tire like the Rival, which is awesome in the dry but has very little tread depth and pretty much zero wet grip. After that you have stuff that is in the gray area between DOT R-comp and street tires, like the 888's, and Pilot Sport Cups which some people use as dual-purpose. There is no reason that I'm aware of that DOT R-comps won't pass an inspection since they are DOT approved, but I wouldn't drive on the street with them.

If you're never going to drive it in the rain, it's hard to go wrong with the Rivals. If you want something a bit more comfortable and has good wet grip as well, go with the Pilot Super Sports. If the Rivals aren't ballsy enough for you then you could try Pilot Sport Cups but I wouldn't.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I'd probably go so far as to say that if your rear tires are NOT wearing on the inside, you have a more-conservative-than-standard alignment. I tried having my C4 aligned to save some tire wear a while back and the results were not impressive...an "emergency lane change" type maneuver felt incredibly sloppy with this kind of alignment so I put everything back to stock.

As far as the ExtremeContact DWS tires, I haven't been all that impressed with them. I run them on my BMW X5 because they're by far the cheapest tire available for it in a 315 width. I've got about 20k miles on them and the seem to be wearing fine. Since that's a lot heavier vehicle I'd expect them to do even better on a 996. I do think that going by treadwear ratings and all-season tires are the wrong choice for these cars, but to each their own.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
Sumitomos are cheap tires. Great for blasting through canyons, tearing them up, then throwing them out. Not exactly good for track days, not very informative to the driver, but a great value to go shred up.
Yep they are cheap and I love 'em. I have done several track days and gone thru a set of rear tires each year. I learned with these tires how to slide the car around with comfort and they are awesome wet tires if you can figure the wet line. It reminded me driving in the snow when I first started driving back in the late 70's. If I started my track history on super sticky tires I'd be putting myself in a dangerous spot because there is no learning curve. Sticky tires break loose when they are at their ultimate output and its too late to react because you don't know how to react. Get what I saying? That said I have used Super Sports for street and track and they are just awesome but pricey but cheaper than PS2's. For the track now I have dedicated track tires R888's.

One other bit of info is the "search" button is wunderbar whylst looking for answers.

Quick Reply: Tires thread