996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Build Log: NineEreven Turbo NB

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Capt, sorry i should have explained more. I know how the wastegate system and all that works, but not sure how that could help me narrow down the problem. all it does is remove boost from the equation but I think boost is what the source of the problem is. I know I can't tell until I try it, but what I am saying is I am pretty sure from what I can tell with the car already, it will drive fine out of boost.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

I figured you knew how it worked, but now those playing along at home can know also.

The reason you'd want to try it is because it will confirm that boost is causing the problem. If you can get higher into the RPMs without issue with no boost, then you know it is related to airflow. Of course, there are a bunch of boost-related issues that could be the problem.

You could have a boost leak somewhere after the MAF (intake manifold, intercooler piping, etc.).
The MAF could be dirty/bad.
Something could be up with the fuel system.
Tune could be bad.
Lots of things.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:22 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

My guesses were literally all the things you just listed. Looks like I will have a busy weekend. Hope I can get it sorted out soon. There is a huge event march 21st that I want to be able to go down and woop on some unsuspecting cars.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Do a systematic check of everything by first removing boost. You'll be amazed what you think might be the problem and what will end up beeing the actual problem. Don't guess, confirm everything to be 100% sure it isn't a contributing factor. Do only way to do this is if you systematically go through everything one at a time.

I'm not sure if you can show up in a 996 and suprise anyone. Most people expect a 911 to be fast.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
Do a systematic check of everything by first removing boost. You'll be amazed what you think might be the problem and what will end up beeing the actual problem. Don't guess, confirm everything to be 100% sure it isn't a contributing factor. Do only way to do this is if you systematically go through everything one at a time.

I'm not sure if you can show up in a 996 and suprise anyone. Most people expect a 911 to be fast.
I started from theMAF and worked my way to the exhaust tips.

1) secondary air pump located in left side of bay was unplugged. Oops.

2) some how the o2 sensors on both sides of the cats were very loose. I could spin then with my hand loose. That I think I owe to a buddy helping me.

3) the big one - there was a rip in te hose after the MAF before te turbo letting unmetered air into the car. It was a small 1.5" rip or so but in sure that had a lot to do with it.

I am still looking through everything. Plugs look good, no black or white build up, injectors don't show any leaking, and I don't see anything else major.

I do have a small oil leak on the right side of the car that only leaks when the car is running. It's in the top near the alternator area. Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 AM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

this item on my car was unplugged as well, it had gotten knocked loose when the intake hose was installed. Anyone know what it does?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

That's the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge.

And that tear in the intake piping is definitely your problem.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
That's the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge.

And that tear in the intake piping is definitely your problem.
It was kind of a small tear. This is a 3.5" pipe (i replaced it with a silicone hose) and the tear is about big enough to pass a nickel through. You think a tear that small could throw off the AFR THAT much?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Oh, the tear is pre-turbo? I think it's still enough to cause an issue, but a hole like that would definitely cause issues if that was a pressurized hose. I take it you haven't had a chance to drive the car again yet?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Oh, the tear is pre-turbo? I think it's still enough to cause an issue, but a hole like that would definitely cause issues if that was a pressurized hose. I take it you haven't had a chance to drive the car again yet?
Nope, I haven't. The silicone hose gets here in 3 days then Ill give her another whirl. Snow should be gone by then. I am still looking through. It is post MAF and pre turbo in terms of location. So the air is unmetered and under vacuum during boost.

Those ducts suck and I planned to replace them anyways I just wanted to verify functionality of the kit and it seems those were the weak links. Anyone buying the kit should ditch them asap and not even bother testing with them.

BTW your drop looks great. Saw pics on IG
Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 AM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Ok, I got the car together last night after picking up the pieces from the paint booth. I had all the maple wood in my car painted black as well because that wood trim is just god awful.

It looks absolutely incredible in person. I can't wait to go out and get some real pictures instead of the crappy camera phone pics.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM
mas05
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great man!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Can't wait to see some proper pics!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:56 AM
M3BimmerBilly
Instructor

This has nothing to do with the car but I highly recommend The Eagle bar/restaurant downtown Cincy. When I visit I got there - the fried chicken is unbelievable.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mas05
Looks great man!!!
Can't wait to see some proper pics!
Thanks. I want to take it to my local cars and coffee this saturday so Hopefuly I can snag some pics of it out of the garage finally. Then I am heading down with a few buddies badass cars to Water By The Bridge and you can expect me to ***** out photos of it from there.

Originally Posted by M3BimmerBilly
This has nothing to do with the car but I highly recommend The Eagle bar/restaurant downtown Cincy. When I visit I got there - the fried chicken is unbelievable.
I live basically downtown. I will definately check that place out. I am surprised I haven't heard of it. hmmm

Quick Reply: Build Log: NineEreven Turbo NB