What winter DD for $15k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM
M3BimmerBilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
subframe
1. Yes, E46 interiors can look quite terrible after 8+ years. A/B/C pillars will wrinkle. Cup holders and the center console compartment will scratch as well. Solution: You can buy all new A/B/C pillars and center console items for less than $300 new.

2. As already mentioned all the engine components are easily serviced at home with basic tools (for euro cars) and are inexpensive and found anywhere.

3. Subframe crack - Rare to begin with, any Audi turbo failure, which could be considered more common, is just as costly of not more.

4. You can get an E46 is relatively solid shape + interior dress up for about 1/2 of the budget you have.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 335 Posts

Cayenne Turbo? S60/V70R
otherwise, BMW is the best car to own used vs. Benz(electrics)/Audi(nightmare to work on)
Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Spyder34
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if it fits under your lift or not, but I picked up a 2 door Jeep Wrangler for the winter months (and summer too!) and that thing is a blast to drive in the snow. I've had a few Audis and those are great too, but I will never be without a Wrangler in the stable. Going on 3 years now and nothing but minor maintenance.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Jeep Grand Cherokee with remote starter parked in the driveway?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLY996
Jeep Grand Cherokee with remote starter parked in the driveway?
For that matter, how about an older FZJ80 Land Cruiser or 3rd gen 4Runner? Bomb proof SUVs that will run forever, go through any variety of winter weather, and can be had in good condition for well under $10k. My FJ80 Land Cruiser had 200k on it when I sold it, the only major repairs (records since new) were a fuel pump and water pump. I wish I had never sold it.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/winte...er-dollar10000
Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

subframe
I don't think subframe is an issue with AWD models just like the AWD platform don't beat up the front control arm bushings like the RWD models.

My 325XI/5 bought new has 133K miles on it and can't find a better substitute for a daily beater/city/train station car. It's worth $6K...
Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
ttgroove
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJWessing
I had a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT that I had since new, great car with a bit more grown up interior than the other Subaru's. Only issue I ever had with it was a clutch throw out bearing. Sold it a few months ago for $13,500 with 80k miles.
+1

Had 2005 2.5GT as well. Ours was wagon. We sold it with 130k miles. Very reliable car mechanically, but interior pieces tend to fall off faster than Honda/Toyota. Body sheetmetal seemed to be on a thin side. Mechanically good, but fit and finish was not exactly top notch. Great DD I would say.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

+1 on the Audi D2 S8. The last hand-built car that Audi made, all aluminum flagship sports sedan. Great drivers car, incredible on snowy roads, luxury, comfort and well w/in your budget. You should be able to pick up an excellent example for <$10k and keep a fund for repairs. The only real issue w/ these cars is the tranny, but they can be rebuilt very reliably in Chicago for cheap. Take a test drive and see for yourself if you like it. If you miss your A6 4.2, you will be very impressed by the S8. Lighter, bigger and faster!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Subaru forester. You can get XT with manual transmission for 1/2 of your $15k. XT will stay with 996 in 0-60MPH sprint and looks cool too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...25xt-road-test
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiracer
+1 on the Audi D2 S8. The last hand-built car that Audi made, all aluminum flagship sports sedan. Great drivers car, incredible on snowy roads, luxury, comfort and well w/in your budget. You should be able to pick up an excellent example for <$10k and keep a fund for repairs. The only real issue w/ these cars is the tranny, but they can be rebuilt very reliably in Chicago for cheap. Take a test drive and see for yourself if you like it. If you miss your A6 4.2, you will be very impressed by the S8. Lighter, bigger and faster!

My old one. I've owned a lot of really great cars, this one was the most impressive from the standpoint of materials and build quality. Absolutely built like a tank with the best of everything. Made driving in snow laughably easy, even with AS tires. In 10k I did regular maintenance and replaced a fan clutch and HVAC fan. If it had a stick I would have kept it forever, I liked it enough that I even seriously considered a transmission swap.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

'04-'07 S60R or V70R

300hp/295tq
AWD
Manual (or automatic if you prefer)
Wagon option (fast wagons are cool...to me, at least)

-Eric
Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M3BimmerBilly
1. Yes, E46 interiors can look quite terrible after 8+ years. A/B/C pillars will wrinkle. Cup holders and the center console compartment will scratch as well. Solution: You can buy all new A/B/C pillars and center console items for less than $300 new.

2. As already mentioned all the engine components are easily serviced at home with basic tools (for euro cars) and are inexpensive and found anywhere.

3. Subframe crack - Rare to begin with, any Audi turbo failure, which could be considered more common, is just as costly of not more.

4. You can get an E46 is relatively solid shape + interior dress up for about 1/2 of the budget you have.
I've got a feeling you're pulling these stats our of your ***...

For what it's worth both my E46 M3 (50K) miles and my brother's 325 (30K miles) subframes were cracked, stock suspension on both. Considering there's a recall on the subframe fix, it's hardly a rare. I would budget 1200 bucks for any E46 (aside from a cabrio) to get the subframe fixed.

If anything, it's the VANOS issues that are kind of rate, but expensive.

That being said, if you wanna spend the north end of that budget, you literally cannot beat an E46 M3 as a daily driver. I do and forever will love that car.

As per my other post, I sold my 2.7T A6 with 140+K miles, original turbos with no issues. It's not as if audi makes the turbos, they're all from Garret/ BW If my mind serves me right.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I don't think subframe is an issue with AWD models just like the AWD platform don't beat up the front control arm bushings like the RWD models.

My 325XI/5 bought new has 133K miles on it and can't find a better substitute for a daily beater/city/train station car. It's worth $6K...
I honestly have no idea, I know the convertible didn't have subframe issues due to the extra bracing. It could be similar for the AWD cars? Though I'd imagine AWD version has the same subframe anchor points.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:57 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

You're clearly pulling the stats out of your ***...

For what it's worth both my E46 M3 (50K) miles and my brother's 325 (30K miles) subframes were cracked. Considering there's a recall on the subframe fix, it's hardly a rare. I would budget 1200 bucks for any E46 (aside from a cabrio) to get the subframe fixed.

If anything, it's the VANOS issues that are kind of rate, but expensive.

That being said, if you wanna spend the north end of that budget, you literally cannot beat an E46 M3 as a daily driver. I do and forever will love that car.

As per my other post, I sold my 2.7T A6 with 140+K miles, original turbos with no issues. It's not as if audi makes the turbos, they're all from Garret/ BW If my mind serves me right.
Not to mention the fact that it's far more than $300 to replace your entire interior with new BMW parts, and that there's no excuse for a German luxury car interior to self-destruct before the car even hits 100k. Just inside on my E36s I encountered:

Material peeling from pillars
Headliner drooping
Upper door panel warped by the sun and no longer catching door frame
Door panel inserts peeling
Dash airbag insert sun warped
Door sill plastic brittle and cracking
Seat trim plastic brittle and cracking
Premature leather wear
Display pixel failure
Interior control module failure
More rattles than I could ever dream of resolving
Everything plastic was subject to cracking when disturbed - panels, snaps, clips, etc

From the E46s I've looked at, they are no better quality.

The 2.7T A6 are fantastic cars, but in all fairness if you ever have to replace the turbos you will hate life. Never trust a turbo car where you can't even see the turbos. One thing I love about the S8 is that the engine bay was sized to fit the W12, so there's adequate space to actually work on it.

Quick Reply: What winter DD for $15k?