Odd Grinding Noise from Left Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd Grinding Noise from Left Wheel

Hi Guys, I have an odd grinding noise coming from my left wheel when I "turn."

I say turn here in parentheses because when it comes to full or average size turns, the car does not make a noise. I

t's only when I hold the wheel at a certain angle -- like when merging onto the highway -- that I hear/feel the grind.

Has anyone had something like this perhaps due to a caliper rubbing or something of that sort? Any easy diagnostic suggestions? Bearing(s) would be my first guess, but it only happens in that isolated circumstance. Typically bearings would be more consistent, I suspect.

Any help much appreciated before I go get robbed at the dealership.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 PM
GuardsTurbo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either a wheel bearing or cv joint.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 708 Posts

Jack up the car and turn the wheel by hand...see if there is anything grinding. Check lug nuts. There should be no "grinding" noises coming from the wheel at anytime. Replicating the forces exerted on the wheel bearings in the hub during a turn would be most difficult to diagnose this way, but at least you can check to see if you hear anything, or feel any grinding coming from the hub. A stuck brake caliper or pad might be an issue, but more than likely it is a wheel bearing issue because it happens when you are turning. If that is the case, it will only get worse.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD?

2003 Carrera 4S Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 Rust Red
Old 04-13-2014, 09:10 AM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would add my 2 cents... I get an intermittent grinding sound from my left rear wheel and was told by my independent shop that it is likely the E-Brake needs adjustment. They said your e-brake handle should have 6 clicks when you pull it up and mine only has 3 or 4, so it's too tight. The adjustment is under a removable panel in the center console storage box. I haven't tried doing anything with it yet as the sound is not currently showing itself.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
Hi Guys, I have an odd grinding noise coming from my left wheel when I "turn."

I say turn here in parentheses because when it comes to full or average size turns, the car does not make a noise. I

t's only when I hold the wheel at a certain angle -- like when merging onto the highway -- that I hear/feel the grind.

Has anyone had something like this perhaps due to a caliper rubbing or something of that sort? Any easy diagnostic suggestions? Bearing(s) would be my first guess, but it only happens in that isolated circumstance. Typically bearings would be more consistent, I suspect.

Any help much appreciated before I go get robbed at the dealership.

I had a similar issue which turned out to be a front bearing, though it was hard to pinpoint campared to past cars. Simple 2 hour job, cost on mine was $400

Quick Reply: Odd Grinding Noise from Left Wheel