Sponsored by:

Transmission Mount urethane fill DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM
chamilun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Mount urethane fill DIY

Some quick notes in case anyone else is planning on doing this. I never take pictures. Usually they are very helpful. In this case not really needed anyways, but I hope this helps others.

For the 99-? cars, the tranny mount is part and parcel of the whole transmission. So to R&R, you need to drop the tranny, press out the old, and press in a new. You could possibly just drop it down, cut it out, and use the various options to replace that dont require a press. I own a shop press and would have preferred to do the correct way, but alas, very difficult and/or time consuming.

The alternative is to use 3M polyurethane windshield mount adhesive.

So put the car on jacks. I cant recommend enough my new Jackpoint Jack Stands. Jack the from rear driver factory location, the front of the car lifts also so place standard stand under front, then slide the jackpoint stand in. Done. Do both sides of course. Takes 5 minutes, if that.

Crawl under car. The tranny mount is easily viewable. There are rubber dust covers on either side. Take a flash light and look behind. If your mount is in bad shape like mine was, the bolt will literally be almost to the top instead of in the center.

Now take your floor jack with a large socket (large!) and raise the mount assembly until it is centered in the assembly. Easy peasy.

Now the somewhat difficult and potentially messy part. Take your 3M polyurethane windshield stuff (found at any Auto Parts store) and begin filling the space in between the original mount. So you are keeping the old mount, but filling in between. The great thing is the rubber dust shield will stop it from coming out the other side, thus 'filling' the entire part. Do each section. Make sure to get the top as well, which is a bit more difficult as the plastic piece on the urethane tends to bend and what not. The stuff is incredibly hard to pump out, but stick with it til done. Let cure 24 hours.

The difference is amazing. Cleaner shifts, zero vibrations.

Might I say, the 996 compared to the 99 and 03 boxsters I had, well the Boxsters sound a hundred times better. I should have gotten a better exhaust
Old 04-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Rasputin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please give us an update on the improvement following your DIY, please. I'm thinking of doing the same. I've already bought the PU stuff...

Fabrice
Old 04-24-2014, 02:15 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are my before/after pictures:
http://996ls1.blogspot.com/p/prepara...tallation.html
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
chamilun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rasputin
Can you please give us an update on the improvement following your DIY, please. I'm thinking of doing the same. I've already bought the PU stuff...

Fabrice
Its great. Before, I had a clunk when driving hard from a stop. Gone. Also had some strange vibrations that made its way to the front of the cabin. Gone also.

Really I dont think there is any negative. As I mentioned, just make sure to get the polyurethane into the top of the bearing as well.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm really grooving on your parts hauler.

Quick Reply: Transmission Mount urethane fill DIY