Sponsored by:

Not on THESE tires...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:02 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

I usually get worried when I see the the steel belts showing.

I just replaced my rears a few weeks ago with the Dunlop Star Spec Dizzera IIs..

Originally Posted by sjfehr
My advice: Do the PCA fun run on these tires, and enjoy yourself, worry free!

The bars say it's time to replace. But tires don't suddenly stop functioning when they wear to the wear bars; 50% below the bar just means if can move less water before hydroplaning. No cords or damage visible; I'd say there's plenty of tread left to keep driving in the dry or damp; you can drive as spirited as you want with 100% confidence your tires will be fine; the only risk with tread that low is of hydroplaning in heavy rain or puddles. Take it easy if it rains, especially if there's a lot of standing water. Worst issues are likely to be at highway speeds as speed x depth = volume*, and volume is your foe here.

* flow rate, actually, but eh.

Looks that way; a few pounds lower would give better tire wear, but tire wear here is typical for a 996 and not at all bad. IMHO you're better off tweaking & alignment pressures for performance and car balance and just accepting tires are going to wear a little unevenly; after all, that's why we're picking sticky short-lived performance tires and not 60k all seaons, isn't it? The specific model of tire matters, too, even among performance summer tires; you need to run different pressures on stiff sidewall tires like Dunlop ZII and BFG Rival than softer sidewall tires like Hankook RS-3 and Sumitomi HTR ZIII. On my 986S w/Dunlop ZIIs on the street, I usually run my rear 2 pounds lower than Porsche says and my fronts about 5lbs higher. For competition I run them both at the 37psi.

What I really see, though, is that this car has not been tracked nearly enough. There's no excuse for not wearing out the outside corners well before the inside! Shame!

Quick Reply: Not on THESE tires...