996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can you tell what this noise is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:22 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell what this noise is?

Found a loose exhaust clamp and tightened and got rid a cat rattle. Still have this one. Thoughts?

Here is video.

Last edited by dnwong; 09-20-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Add video link.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

No possible source jumps out at me. This leaves oh about a zillion possible sources though…

Wish you could have just let the engine idle.

You are at the vehicle so let me ask you the questions. Do you have any idea where the noise is coming from?

It would be worth the cost -- and some places do not charge for this -- to get the car in the air and give a listen under the car and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If this can be pinpointed and it can almost 100% of the time this goes a long way to helping ID the source/cause of the noise.

However, I'm reluctant to suggest you should run the engine any.

Thus have you dropped the oil filter and poured its contents out in a *clean* drain pan and given the oil a thorough check for any scary metal (or other material) debris?

Does engine exhibit this noise immediately upon a cold start? Or does the engine have to idle a while before the noise comes up? Or does the engine have to be fully up to temperature before the nose appears?

Does the noise change if you depress the clutch or if you put the Tip in gear?

If the noise is present with the engine cold you can remove the belt and start and run the engine long enough to verify the noise is present or not. What you hear or do not hear determines your next step.

Be sure you note very carefully -- take pics or make a sketch, and take notes do not rely upon your memory -- the routing and direction of rotation of the belt before you remove it so when you reinstall it you install it correctly and so it rotates in the same direction as before.

While you have the belt off give each accessory drive pulley a check for excessive play. Really though my experience is any play. If there is a problem with one of these you will know probably because it has some play while the other accessory drives have none.

Check the idler roller bearings and tensioner roller bearing for any signs of distress. Too much play. Signs of a compromised seal.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard an airplane at the beginning
Old 09-20-2014, 09:46 PM
dnwong
Pro

Here is a better video.

The sound comes when I give gas. 1000-2000 rpm range. Sounds like something is rattling when the engine increases rpms.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:48 PM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster
No possible source jumps out at me. This leaves oh about a zillion possible sources though…

Wish you could have just let the engine idle.

You are at the vehicle so let me ask you the questions. Do you have any idea where the noise is coming from?

It would be worth the cost -- and some places do not charge for this -- to get the car in the air and give a listen under the car and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If this can be pinpointed and it can almost 100% of the time this goes a long way to helping ID the source/cause of the noise.

However, I'm reluctant to suggest you should run the engine any.

Thus have you dropped the oil filter and poured its contents out in a *clean* drain pan and given the oil a thorough check for any scary metal (or other material) debris?

Does engine exhibit this noise immediately upon a cold start? Or does the engine have to idle a while before the noise comes up? Or does the engine have to be fully up to temperature before the nose appears?

Does the noise change if you depress the clutch or if you put the Tip in gear?

If the noise is present with the engine cold you can remove the belt and start and run the engine long enough to verify the noise is present or not. What you hear or do not hear determines your next step.

Be sure you note very carefully -- take pics or make a sketch, and take notes do not rely upon your memory -- the routing and direction of rotation of the belt before you remove it so when you reinstall it you install it correctly and so it rotates in the same direction as before.

While you have the belt off give each accessory drive pulley a check for excessive play. Really though my experience is any play. If there is a problem with one of these you will know probably because it has some play while the other accessory drives have none.

Check the idler roller bearings and tensioner roller bearing for any signs of distress. Too much play. Signs of a compromised seal.
I just did the oil change and I tore apart the filter and it looked complete clean on the inside.

The next vid, I let the engine idle a little. It does not make the noise while idling.

When I did the oil change, the rattle came from a loose clamp at the cat and I tighten that down. That rattle went away. I guess initially it was a combination of rattles.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:51 PM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
I heard an airplane at the beginning
That's what happens when the airport is only a few miles away...
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Get someone to help you give gas. Put a long screwdriver between your ear and each cat. Sounds like cat rattle (core inside broken) or muffler shield rattle to me. Sounds external but it's not easy to tell from the video.

If not those, just follow Macster's suggestions above.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm with Ahsai. Sounds like a converter rattling.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sound like my cat converter did when it failed. bang on the cat (lightly) with you hand or a rubber mallet
Old 09-20-2014, 11:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Oh also your cat/muffler junctions are leaking. You can see condensation droplets flying around at ~31s of your first video.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The easiest check is on the heat shield. On a cold engine feel in for a bolt attached each end. If the far one (out of sight) is missing then it could be a loose heat shield. The noise to me is giving off a (tinny sound) and the heat shield over the Plugs is very light weight in nature.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:34 PM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
The easiest check is on the heat shield. On a cold engine feel in for a bolt attached each end. If the far one (out of sight) is missing then it could be a loose heat shield. The noise to me is giving off a (tinny sound) and the heat shield over the Plugs is very light weight in nature.
LOL, went to look for the heat shields over the plugs and I don't have any...
Old 09-21-2014, 12:40 PM
dnwong
Pro

I did make some progress. I used binder clips to clip some of the loose pieces in the bumper and found a nut missing holding a shield attached to drivers frame. Then I shimmed one of the clamps holding the cat to the engine. Now I have some not so loud rattles at 1500-2000rpm... ugg. This all started after I took the car to have an safety inspection done.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

I'm also gonna go with something in the exhaust. I would try taking it off and run the motor to see if you can reproduce the noise. What the hell crawled into your garage at 42 sec into the video?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by Pcargo
I'm also gonna go with something in the exhaust. I would try taking it off and run the motor to see if you can reproduce the noise. What the hell crawled into your garage at 42 sec into the video?
Damm, I missed that... Hope it was a spider. Can imagine any animal would crawl under a car making all that noise...

Maybe a lizard?

Quick Reply: Can you tell what this noise is?