Sponsored by:

DBA 4000 series T3 rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DBA 4000 series T3 rotors

DBA 4000 series T3 rotors anyone uses them? Trying to decide between Serbo slotted, DBA 4000 T3 or just sticking with OEM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used DBA on a WRX and I liked them. Very popular in Australia and Japanese awd crowd in general.

IIRC, it was these that either had the temp markers for the tracks or wear markers. I forget which for the DBA's.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:28 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Yep, those are the ones. I like that have those features and also use cross hatch slotting on rotor face.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:08 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Serbo slotted front and rear... LOVE THEM!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Serbo's are my first choice but these DBA seemed interesting enough for me to ask around.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Sebro....
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Well, I think they made it easy as apparently DBA doed not make 4000 - T3 series slotted rear brake rotors for a 996 just the fronts
Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 PM
davidnyc
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

So, when people say they "love" a rotor, what does that mean? Did you see some sort of improvement vs ??? How did you measure this improvement? i am wondering to help me in future decisions.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by davidnyc
So, when people say they "love" a rotor, what does that mean? Did you see some sort of improvement vs ??? How did you measure this improvement? i am wondering to help me in future decisions.
For me I look for features like cooling vane design, quality of metals, longevity, etc. all the cheap rotors are made with inferior metals from Taiwan usually. This can be a factor in how long they last and how easy they warp under heavy stress. Also some have the generic cooling vanes that don't cool or evacuate air as efficiently.

But as long as you stick to any popular brands out there, there won't be any noticeable differences. I have no loyalty to any specific brand but I do stick to all the popular ones.

If you're worried about rusty lug nuts like some members here, the Zimmerman rotors are good rotors that come fully coated so the non pad contact areas stay nice and clean.

Point is features that matter to you should be one of the deciding factors as the performance aspect is very negligible between one rotor vs another.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:59 AM
davidnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
For me I look for features like cooling vane design, quality of metals, longevity, etc. all the cheap rotors are made with inferior metals from Taiwan usually. This can be a factor in how long they last and how easy they warp under heavy stress. Also some have the generic cooling vanes that don't cool or evacuate air as efficiently.

But as long as you stick to any popular brands out there, there won't be any noticeable differences. I have no loyalty to any specific brand but I do stick to all the popular ones.

If you're worried about rusty lug nuts like some members here, the Zimmerman rotors are good rotors that come fully coated so the non pad contact areas stay nice and clean.

Point is features that matter to you should be one of the deciding factors as the performance aspect is very negligible between one rotor vs another.
Your comments echo my thoughts. For most of my cars, I have had no problems with Autozone rotors. My track car S2000, no problem. Only time I had issues with cheap rotors was on my race car coming off a hot session and not allowing them to cool sufficiently lead to cracking. For my Porsche, will I use Autozone or Rockauto? Possibly. Brake rotors are like brake pads, replace as needed.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 AM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnyc
Your comments echo my thoughts. For most of my cars, I have had no problems with Autozone rotors. My track car S2000, no problem. Only time I had issues with cheap rotors was on my race car coming off a hot session and not allowing them to cool sufficiently lead to cracking. For my Porsche, will I use Autozone or Rockauto? Possibly. Brake rotors are like brake pads, replace as needed.
I could not disagree with you more.

When it comes to stopping your vehicle, never compromise. I can understand choosing something that doesn't squeal, but never choose something because its cheap on brakes. Cheap rotors and pads do not stop as well, and can absolutely break. Inferior metals, subpar quality checks, old castings are all traits of people that make cheapo rotors.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:32 AM
alpine003
Banned

Actually Autozone rotors was one of the ones I was referencing from Taiwan. These are what I consider throw away rotors and are perfectly adequate for Honda's for example. But due to the drilled nature of our rotors, I think you'll find more cracking as well as not too much difference in cost. The autozone rotors sometimes also come new thinner than spec so won't last as long.

You have a Porsche with a Brembo braking system. I think you owe it to yourself to get one of the quality brands like Zimmerman, Sebro, Brembo, Stoptech, DBA, etc. stay away from Centric and all the generic alternatives. My $.02
Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 AM
davidnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by NineEreven
I could not disagree with you more.

When it comes to stopping your vehicle, never compromise. I can understand choosing something that doesn't squeal, but never choose something because its cheap on brakes. Cheap rotors and pads do not stop as well, and can absolutely break. Inferior metals, subpar quality checks, old castings are all traits of people that make cheapo rotors.
I never said cheap pads. :-) Just rotors. :-)

Not to be argumentative, but do you have proof? I have proof of using "cheap" rotors with no problems on the street. They are on my wife's MDX, years on my race car (although some issues), years on my track S2000, used on a TSX, many other friends used them. What I will say is that it is true that under high stressed track situations, the cheap rotors were not as good as better rotors. This is DEFINITELY true. But, for street cars, what proof do we have? Again, if you have evidence, I will definitely say I am wrong and back down.

Let me rephrase my thoughts... You definitely get what you pay for in some situations. Will I buy aftermarket non-DOT or non-FIA seats? No. Will I buy, things that are definitely proven and have enough evidence to cause a safety issue? No. In other hobbies I have (I used to race bicycles), to a point you do get what you pay for. But, sometimes, you are paying more for image than performance.

What I will say, that this upcoming year will be my first track year in a car that I will be going probably about 10-20 mph faster into braking zones. Once, the OEM rotors are done, I will see what is available. Will I go super cheap? No. Will I go OEM? No. I will find a happy medium. BUT, if this car NEVER saw the track or NEVER did canyon runs (I don't advocate driving reckless on the street), then I will probably go lower end.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 AM
davidnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Actually Autozone rotors was one of the ones I was referencing from Taiwan. These are what I consider throw away rotors and are perfectly adequate for Honda's for example. But due to the drilled nature of our rotors, I think you'll find more cracking as well as not too much difference in cost. The autozone rotors sometimes also come new thinner than spec so won't last as long.

You have a Porsche with a Brembo braking system. I think you owe it to yourself to get one of the quality brands like Zimmerman, Sebro, Brembo, Stoptech, DBA, etc. stay away from Centric and all the generic alternatives. My $.02
I am covering this thread like a hawk. LOL.

I agree. (See my above post). What I was reacting to (maybe overreacting) is that usually I see people by expensive parts for no valid reason. I am throwing out there alternative thoughts and expect people to disagree. Thanks for the good discussion!!

Quick Reply: DBA 4000 series T3 rotors