996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Go to the Porsche Indy shop that will service your car and ask the shop owner, not the tech, about his experience with warranty claims from the service you are buying.
They know which pays and which companies jerk you off
Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most new owners want a warranty to cover the worst case scenarios. My $3,000 warranty that was good for 3 years /36k miles took care of:

2 Window regulators
Serpentine Belt
Seat motor
Water Pump
Alternator
Coils
Ignition switch and assembly

+ stuff I am sure I forgot. Looking back, it paid for itself plus gave me piece of mind. The company was Protective.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installing a replacement bearing is like buying a health insurance policy that only covers leukemia on tuesday. M96 motors will break for the same reasons any motor will break, usually due to the nut behind the wheel. After market warranties are mostly all crap (Stanley, Fidelity). Mostly. EasyCare *MAY* be the exception? If you have a mechanic your happy with, ask him/her if there is a warranty company they like. If your buying from a dealer though EasyCare is probably the way to go. It won't take much to pay back your warranty costs, a few window regulators, radiators, and oh, let's throw in an A/C compressor. Boom, you broke even. Which is about as much as you can hope for with an after market warranty. I'd recommend putting the 4 grand into a sock (or TWTR stock). Junkyard motors are down around $4500 so your all set.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:30 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
The only sure thing that is covered by a lot of these warranty companies is the lube they use for your ****.
+996
Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kab1994
I just purchased a 2003 996 Mk2 w/ 42,000 miles. I am looking to purchase an aftermarket warranty for the car. I have a quote from Direct buy warranty and Easy care. Fidelity will not warranty the car. Has anyone had experience with either of those companies, or can you recommend a warranty you currently have? My main concern is an IMS failure.
I had a 1year warranty from Easycare. I got my money out of it as I had a good Service rep from the Porsche dealer I purchased car and warranty from working for me.

It was a bumper to bumper coverage ($3k three years ago) and I got two new rear tires out of it (screws in the tires) and new radio and new hood struts.

I actually only paid $1k for the warranty as part of the deal I made during purchase.

So in my case, it worked out well.

As far as the cost for IMS replacement.......I bought the parts from LN and then had the dealer install them along with new RMS, new complete clutch, new slave cylinder, new AOS.......none of the aforementioned was covered by warranty as the IMS hadn't failed.

Cost for the above work was $3k to the dealer and I believe about $600 for the parts from LN.

Quick Reply: 996 Warranty