The 996 is like the ugliest...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts
Default The 996 is like the ugliest...

Victoria Secret supermodel.

OK. I will admit it. There are people who don't think my 996 is one of the most attractive Porsche's ever made. For my comparison, I will use the above mentioned supermodels. If you take all of them and line them up, there will be models that people think are more attractive and models that people will see as less attractive. But there will all be people who think the less attractive models are the most beautiful. And you can't convince them otherwise. The fact of the matter is that they are all Victoria Secret supermodels. And if you show up somewhere with one of them on your arm everyone will say wow. Make sense?

Since the weather got cold instead of working on the cars and driving my cars I now drive and spend time on Rennlist (and learning to rant). I have been browsing other forums like the air cooled ones and looking at some of the articles posted here. This is my first experience with the Porsche Purists - who in my opinion are mostly a bunch of douche bags. If you like your car, great. But what makes them feel compelled to bash others?

I mean really. Take you average 964-993 owner. Their car is worth about the same as a loaded Accord and less than a new BMW. And if they drive it, god forbid, the maintenance bills will be more than the car appreciates. If they don't drive it and use it as a work of art, great. But then why bash mine?

I think I may start a rant of the week column every Thursday until the weather warms up.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm agree with you the only "not attractive cosmetic" is the headlights other than that the rest of the vehicle is beautiful and I started to love the headlights, I saw a thread on the off topic forum, regarding a publicity stunt in NYC, they were rolling a 996 and a Boxster with spray paint

http://jalopnik.com/these-trashed-po...unt-1665135107

the comments from the other Porsche owners were but not limited to :

It's a 996 that actually will increase the value
Finally someone bought all 996 and they will send them to the junkyard were they belong

and so on I can't not believe even between on our community some people despise this vehicles, I would understand completely if someone who has a mechanical failure after talking good care and maintenance of the car doesn't want to see it or bash it everywhere but not form someone who never own one.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find only Porsche experts (forum members) can tell the difference between our 996's and newer 997's! To most, it's an expensive, modern supercar that brings admiring looks.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:04 AM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the headlights are great but then again I'm an engineer not a "Porsche guy." I appreciate the modularity of the unit, the way they can be easily removed and reinstalled. Very German in design. I also appreciate the fact that other 911 guys hate them. This way I can **** off all the other drivers, including other 911 drivers. Win win I say.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think at the end of the day what it comes down to is affordability. If I could afford a 991 I would have bought one and it would not be because of the headlights. I don't believe in leasing. 996 was in my affordable extra car budget range so I went for it. Personally, I don't care about the design of the headlights.

Why are we talking about this anyway? There are gazillion comments and bashing of the headlight issue.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rubik
Why are we talking about this anyway? There are gazillion comments and bashing of the headlight issue.
Because I am bored at work. And I am not bashing. I am dating a supermodel.

And I think she is the most attractive out there. And you can't convince me other wise.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
And I think she is the most attractive out there. And you can't convince me other wise.
I have to admit that she does look good.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:30 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,095 Likes on 705 Posts

Before I can agree I need to see the Victoria Secret model...then I'll issue a verdict.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You need an Aerokit front-end (full kit really, but I find the normal front bumper distracting) on that and your driver side light could use a polish

And stay out of the AC forums. Insanity lies down that road.

In fact, stay out of the 997 and 991 forums too as they are almost as bad.

The 996 forum is the only place you'll find a majority of people that actually enjoy using their car for what it was made (driving).

Under no circumstances should you ever admit to owning (much less liking) a 996 anywhere outside the safety of this board. The damage to your psyche will be irreparable.

Unless you are a glutton for abuse, then go into RLOT and talk about how you find the 996 the best looking of all 911s. That'll make you lots of friends
Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Victoria Secret supermodel.

OK. I will admit it. There are people who don't think my 996 is one of the most attractive Porsche's ever made. For my comparison, I will use the above mentioned supermodels. If you take all of them and line them up, there will be models that people think are more attractive and models that people will see as less attractive. But there will all be people who think the less attractive models are the most beautiful. And you can't convince them otherwise. The fact of the matter is that they are all Victoria Secret supermodels. And if you show up somewhere with one of them on your arm everyone will say wow. Make sense?

Since the weather got cold instead of working on the cars and driving my cars I now drive and spend time on Rennlist (and learning to rant). I have been browsing other forums like the air cooled ones and looking at some of the articles posted here. This is my first experience with the Porsche Purists - who in my opinion are mostly a bunch of douche bags. If you like your car, great. But what makes them feel compelled to bash others?

I mean really. Take you average 964-993 owner. Their car is worth about the same as a loaded Accord and less than a new BMW. And if they drive it, god forbid, the maintenance bills will be more than the car appreciates. If they don't drive it and use it as a work of art, great. But then why bash mine?

I think I may start a rant of the week column every Thursday until the weather warms up.
Great analogy.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

The 996 forum is the only place you'll find a majority of people that actually enjoy using their car for what it was made (driving).

Id say you are safe in the GT3 forums as well. 996 GT3 is pretty damn attractive. And hey I actually like our headlights, they are unique at least and have a futuristic techno shape to them. Every time I walk up to or away from my 4S I'm grinning ear to ear. Lowered with the right stance these cars can be very good looking in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have my 996 have "bug eyes", if I could snap my finger and make it happen. But I am fine with the lights it has.

And I think the car is better looking than the 991. I think the car has become too long and too wide (which is what the air-cooled guys say about the 996, I suppose). And the "911" badge? Please...

I guess this makes me belong with a 997, which is sort of what I now have, behind the seats.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:53 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by gnat
You need an Aerokit front-end (full kit really, but I find the normal front bumper distracting) on that and your driver side light could use a polish

And stay out of the AC forums. Insanity lies down that road.

In fact, stay out of the 997 and 991 forums too as they are almost as bad.

Under no circumstances should you ever admit to owning (much less liking) a 996 anywhere outside the safety of this board. The damage to your psyche will be irreparable.

Unless you are a glutton for abuse, then go into RLOT and talk about how you find the 996 the best looking of all 911s. That'll make you lots of friends
The passenger headlight is brand new thanks to a deer. The drivers side has been polished, and polished, and polished but I can't make them match. The car is covered with salt and road debris also. I have not had time to take it to the car wash (gasp - yea a car wash) this week.

I think I am going to AC forums and complain about how I want might want one, but I can't get how much they suck because they have bad interiors and outdated looks. And forget how bad they perform compared to a water cooled car.

Then I am going to go to the 991 forum and complain about how I wanted one but it was too big and cushy and felt more like a GT car than a sports car.

I can't actually complain about the 997's. I actually like them except they have those outdated "retro" headlights.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Oh, and the aero kit. Best looking 911 avail in the states (The GT3 mark I is the sh**, but never got across the pond. I am always on the lookout for a silver Carrera 4, full aero kit, black full supple leather, with litronics and a tip.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The passenger headlight is brand new thanks to a deer. The drivers side has been polished, and polished, and polished but I can't make them match.
You're lucky. New Halogen covers are cheap compared to the Litronic ones. Our's look horrid (the polish looked OK for about 2 weeks) but I just can't justify $1700/each

The car is covered with salt and road debris also. I have not had time to take it to the car wash (gasp - yea a car wash) this week.
Our's lives outside and hasn't had a bath since it was in body shop 10 months ago. Before that when it was in the body shop (stupid tailgaters) the previous July. I honestly have no idea when it's last bath before that was, probably a few years

I can't actually complain about the 997's. I actually like them except they have those outdated "retro" headlights.
Point out that it's not really anything but a re-skined and re-tuned 996. That'll stir the pot good

Quick Reply: The 996 is like the ugliest...