Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How much value added to high mileage car if new engine installed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My car is currently worth somewhere in the mid-high 30s around here and I have a warranty that would replace the engine if it blew. But if not, I would sell it as a roller and put the $20-$25K into a newer car. No point throwing good money after bad. If it was an aircooled, that's different. But these 996/997/991 cars are not rare and not collectible, and they are depreciating.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Don't forget the testdrive factor. If someone drives 3 996's & the one with the rebuilt engine is obviously faster & smoother, which one do you want? 100,000 miles seems to be the point where any cars health is suspect, even Hyundai dosen't guarantee anything after that! Anyone that can read can see & feel the added value of a properly rebuilt engine, especially with increased displacement.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:19 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Don't forget the testdrive factor. If someone drives 3 996's & the one with the rebuilt engine is obviously faster & smoother, which one do you want? 100,000 miles seems to be the point where any cars health is suspect, even Hyundai dosen't guarantee anything after that! Anyone that can read can see & feel the added value of a properly rebuilt engine, especially with increased displacement.
Who is to say the engine is "properly" rebuilt? There is absolutely no way to know that. I have walked away from many a car like that, and I know a lot about engines. I would much prefer a well maintained factory original engine with 100K miles on it that is running well and in good health. Maybe that's just me.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by c4racer
Who is to say the engine is "properly" rebuilt? There is absolutely no way to know that. I have walked away from many a car like that, and I know a lot about engines. I would much prefer a well maintained factory original engine with 100K miles on it that is running well and in good health. Maybe that's just me.

How is it you can determine a 100K+ engine is running well & in good health, but there is absolutely no way to know a engine is properly rebuilt? I believe you are forgetting the test drive factor of a upgraded engine.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:40 PM
c4racer
Pro

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
How is it you can determine a 100K+ engine is running well & in good health, but there is absolutely no way to know a engine is properly rebuilt? I believe you are forgetting the test drive factor of a upgraded engine.
I can tell how an engine is running by starting it and driving it.
I know that an untouched factory built engine that has made it 100K miles was built right - at least the vast majority of them are - sure, stuff can break like happened with Cuda's motor, but that is rather rare. And I have no way to know how an engine was rebuilt unless I know the rebuilder and the quality of their work. And I know very few of those for these cars.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:25 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+996

Nope definitely not JUST you. These motors are very well known to go over 200k miles (and still going.) Unmolested, relatively low mileage junkyard motors are getting easier and easier to find every day. Consider that your insurance policy.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I can tell how an engine is running by starting it and driving it.
I know that an untouched factory built engine that has made it 100K miles was built right - at least the vast majority of them are - sure, stuff can break like happened with Cuda's motor, but that is rather rare. And I have no way to know how an engine was rebuilt unless I know the rebuilder and the quality of their work. And I know very few of those for these cars.
hmmm, so if I were to say my car has 100,000 miles on odo (actual 97K) with an LN sleeved 3.8L with nikasil cylinders, forged pistons, rebuilt heads, new aos, water pump, gaskets, belt, bearings etc etc including other LN upgrades that now has a proven 27k miles including 10+ track events you would still choose to buy a 100,000 factory stock engine/car instead? prices being equal?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:21 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
hmmm, so if I were to say my car has 100,000 miles on odo (actual 97K) with an LN sleeved 3.8L with nikasil cylinders, forged pistons, rebuilt heads, new aos, water pump, gaskets, belt, bearings etc etc including other LN upgrades that now has a proven 27k miles including 10+ track events you would still choose to buy a 100,000 factory stock engine/car instead? prices being equal?
Not me, I will take the updated engine for sure, especially from a reputable source.

The only flaw in that plan is that you wouldn't sell it for the same as a 100k mile original, would you?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by prosled8
Not me, I will take the updated engine for sure, especially from a reputable source.

The only flaw in that plan is that you wouldn't sell it for the same as a 100k mile original, would you?
nope.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with AGGREGATIONS POST. I think he is being smart by upgrading the you know what as soon as possible and just drive the car presumably worry free. Many owners don't worry about it and in my opinion they are blessed. I wasn't one of them, I had the upgrades done and now I am like them.
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2014, 06:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Gotta love Rennlist with all these would've, should've, could've, hingsight, 20/20, **** pm, replace good parts, heard a weird sound, rust on my lug nuts, which microscope is the best to inspect oil with, etc posts.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Gotta love Rennlist with all these would've, should've, could've, hingsight, 20/20, **** pm, replace good parts, heard a weird sound, rust on my lug nuts, which microscope is the best to inspect oil with, etc posts.

Well, it is a tech forum.
Not a 'Here, hold my beer while I destroy this thing!' forum.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 PM
c4racer
Pro

Originally Posted by Hardback
Oh well see that's different! I would take that rebuilt motor!!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM
c4racer
Pro

When did you want to swap cars or motors btw? Mine has a 100k factory motor as luck would have it!

Quick Reply: How much value added to high mileage car if new engine installed?