Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Temporary fair well to Porsche and hello to Jaguar !

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:11 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently said farewell to Jaguar and hello to Porsche! I intended to stick with Jaguar - I was actually looking for a used XKR when I saw a shiny C4S. If i still had to commute 100 miles round trip on Chicago expressways, I would have stuck with Jaguar. But I don't

The Jag can be entertaining to drive, but can also be pretty effortless, and just get you where you're going. The 996 is always engaging to drive, whether you want it to be or not! While there has not been a time when I wished I got the XKR over the C4S, there have been times when I wished I had one _in addition_ to the Porsche!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
Maybe in an X-type or S-type, both of which were a glorified Ford. The X308 XJR leather, wood, and chrome/aluminum trim quality is superior to anything that came out of Germany in the same era. The British know how to make a beautiful interior.
bull****.

Put the wood and full leather interior of an S600 w140 or w220 mercedes against the jag and its no contest. The mercedes hold up better, are built better, and feel better.

I love the x308 XJR design inside and out, but assembly quality is no where close.

sorry.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Chooses the W220 for the car that "hold up better, are built better . . ."

Old 12-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by white out

Dat dere would be ABC failure and bump stops position for the suspension. But to slammed crowd that looks sick.

And yes, Sanyata, it is the Moss Beach Distillery.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:24 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScientist
my v12 made it from new york city to los angeles in 3 days--in (not-really) homage to the cannonball-run record holding XJS from 1979. drove her to seattle, skiing in idaho-montana, and then back to the east coast. that, did not suck.
I love this car specifically this model, I had it as a toy from the series The Saint with Roger Moore, when retirement kicks this one in white would be part of my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Oh give me a break. Airmatic failures are easy and cheap to repair in almost all cases.

Ohhh, a $260 compressor, oh no, the horror.

not to mention the discussion was about interiors.

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Dat dere would be ABC failure and bump stops position for the suspension. But to slammed crowd that looks sick.

And yes, Sanyata, it is the Moss Beach Distillery.
dat dere is someone that A) can't read the image location and b) knows very little about mercedes vehicles.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Maybe in an X-type or S-type, both of which were a glorified Ford. The X308 XJR leather, wood, and chrome/aluminum trim quality is superior to anything that came out of Germany in the same era. The British know how to make a beautiful interior.
Fact, sit in any or all from this era & compare. For reference of the accepted standard, include a RR or Bentley. My 1999 XJR interior looked great @ 140,000 miles & never had a rattle.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:44 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
bull****. Put the wood and full leather interior of an S600 w140 or w220 mercedes against the jag and its no contest. The mercedes hold up better, are built better, and feel better. I love the x308 XJR design inside and out, but assembly quality is no where close. sorry.
Sorry, still don't agree. Owned two Mercedes products, been in many more. I would give them the edge in assembly quality, that legendary rock solid "bank vault" feel, but I still give the Jag the edge in material perceived luxury. Some of the most sumptuous leather and most nicely finished wood that I've encountered. At 100k the interior in my XJR was like new and free of any rattles or quality issues. Really my only complaints about that car were terrible fold out cup holders and a too small back seat.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:06 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Oh give me a break. Airmatic failures are easy and cheap to repair in almost all cases.

Ohhh, a $260 compressor, oh no, the horror.

not to mention the discussion was about interiors.
Right, all ABC repairs are cheap. You can buy the car for less than the repair.

But yes, the Jaguar interior from that time period is better than the MB. . . and you really should have gone with the E55 comparison to the XJR since they were direct competitors. Also, the E39M5 ended up being superior to both of them.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

but I still give the Jag the edge in material perceived luxury. Some of the most sumptuous leather and most nicely finished wood that I've encountered.
I'm not a Jaguar person but the one XKR Type-R model that I sat in at an auto show a few years ago stirred the same response as above. The only others that stirred my senses/emotions that much on an interior were in Bentley and Rolls Royces(from a premium luxury perspective, not sporting perspective).

Either way, we need OP to post his car and his impressions.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Sorry, still don't agree. Owned two Mercedes products, been in many more. I would give them the edge in assembly quality, that legendary rock solid "bank vault" feel, but I still give the Jag the edge in material perceived luxury. Some of the most sumptuous leather and most nicely finished wood that I've encountered. At 100k the interior in my XJR was like new and free of any rattles or quality issues. Really my only complaints about that car were terrible fold out cup holders and a too small back seat.
Still superior to MBZ design!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:58 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Still superior to MBZ design!
Compared to the joke that passes for a cup holder in a W210? Absolutely.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 PM
andys-944
Pro

About to leave for Chicago to pick up the XKR so I'll let you guys know what its like and post pics
Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, all ABC repairs are cheap. You can buy the car for less than the repair.

But yes, the Jaguar interior from that time period is better than the MB. . . and you really should have gone with the E55 comparison to the XJR since they were direct competitors. Also, the E39M5 ended up being superior to both of them.
Still displaying MB ignorance....

There are two distinct suspension systems for those cars. The S430 and 500 came with Airmatic suspension which is as described, pretty standard air springs, easily serviced including a reputable aftermarket company with parts and support.

ABC is Active Body Control and describes a completely different system that utilizes hydraulically controlled shocks to control body motions. THESE components ARE expensive. ABC was fitted to the S600 and S55 AMG models.

The car pictured appears to be an Airmatic car and, as previously mentioned, an easy, inexpensive fix.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

The xjr was the flagship large sedan from jaguar.

It uses a plastic dash and door panels and cloth headliner.

The s600 was the flagship large sedan from mercedes. It has a full leather dash and door panels with an alcantara headliner.

I like the trim pieces like the chrome ring around the speakers, but again, comparing leather to plastic?

Quick Reply: Temporary fair well to Porsche and hello to Jaguar !