Sponsored by:

Engine Failure - Possible IMS failure on '03 996

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 AM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Failure - Possible IMS failure on '03 996

Well, almost exactly one year to the day from when I bought the car, it died on my while driving home from work yesterday. Won't be able to take it into the shop until after the holidays, but based on the symptoms, I'm fearing an IMS failure. Heavy rattling sound for 30+ seconds before a sudden and complete loss of oil pressure. Then the engine shut down.

Any ideas on what else this could be or should I be planning for an engine replacement?

Took three hours to get off the road during rush hour in Houston!

On a side note, the police officer who stopped to check on me was a complete a$$hole. Tried accusing me of being a "hotroder" and couldn't believe that I only use the car for commuting. I finally convinced him it was just a DD, to which he reponded "must be nice to live so well". I told him the value of the car ($25k) and he said "I think you forgot to add a zero to that". I was a little taken aback but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

Anyway, I'm a bit bummed this morning.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Major bummer! Sorry to hear it ...

"On a side note, the police officer who stopped to check on me was a complete a$$hole. Tried accusing me of being a "hotroder" and couldn't believe that I only use the car for commuting. I finally convinced him it was just a DD, to which he reponded "must be nice to live so well". I told him the value of the car ($25k) and he said "I think you forgot to add a zero to that". I was a little taken aback but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised."

What a douche...ignorant and arrogant! Nice combo for a guy with a badge and a gun...
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. You have a beautiful car. How many miles on it?
Old 12-24-2014, 10:27 AM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911TTCAB
That sucks. You have a beautiful car. How many miles on it?
Thanks! It has 68k miles on it. Not nearly enough considering I bought it at 63k last December. Only 5k in one year...

(my Touareg logged about 25k this year)
Old 12-24-2014, 10:27 AM
tdrimer
Racer

I just saw a 30000 mile 996 turbo motor, tranny and rear suspension in ebay for 19,000.

I am getting sicker by the day hearing about these failures. I am really hoping that you have a good outcome. 30 seconds is a long time to hear that noise. I always thiught IMS failure was quicker than that for some reason.

Good luck an keep us posted...
Old 12-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Don't let the 996's trouble spoil the holidays. Put it aside and focus on enjoying the time with your family and friends.

Come the new year then you can focus on the car.

Based on what you wrote I suspect the engine is toast. Well, not toast toast. That is it may be salvageable but you'll need an experienced Porsche tech to have a look and offer his opinion.

But like I said wait until after the holidays. Try to put the car out of your mind for now. Ain't nothing going to happen until after the 1st anyway so why worry/think about this if you don't have to.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

On a side note, the police officer who stopped to check on me was a complete a$$hole. Tried accusing me of being a "hotroder" and couldn't believe that I only use the car for commuting. I finally convinced him it was just a DD, to which he reponded "must be nice to live so well". I told him the value of the car ($25k) and he said "I think you forgot to add a zero to that". I was a little taken aback but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

wtf?

is there not a logo on the side of the police vehicle stating 'to protect and serve' ?

their mission statement,
The mission of the Houston Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in the city of Houston by working cooperatively with the public to prevent crime, enforce the law, preserve the peace, and provide a safe environment.

sorry to hear it Andrew, especially around the holidays
Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm sorry to hear. Looking at your old posts it appears the PO did the IMS bearing. Once again, like all here, will be interested to see what happened.

Best of luck!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrimer
I just saw a 30000 mile 996 turbo motor, tranny and rear suspension in ebay for 19,000.

I am getting sicker by the day hearing about these failures. I am really hoping that you have a good outcome. 30 seconds is a long time to hear that noise. I always thiught IMS failure was quicker than that for some reason.

Good luck an keep us posted...
If the failure proves to be an IMSB failure the failure was in evidence at the moment the noise appeared. In fact regardless of the root cause of the noise, the onset of the noise was the failure. The 30 seconds of noise was the death rattle of the engine. BTW, no pun intended for I'm really sorry to read of the OP's engine trouble.

For fear of appearing to be piling on the OP at his time of trouble I hate to mention this but I will for the possible benefit of those that might yet experience this: As soon as you hear anything out of the ordinary, a rattle in this case, shut off the engine ASAP and do not restart the engine, do not attempt to restart the engine. No engine rattle noise ever got better with more engine run time.

Admittedly this is harder to do than it might appear. The noise I'm sure catches everyone by surprise and there is some period of doubt as to what one is hearing -- the noise is so out of character -- and what does it mean and it can't be and so on. There is a tendency to want to try to analyze the noise and I'm sure note any characteristics to be able to make a thorough report to the technician when the car is brought in.

While it is easy to write the engine should be shut off ASAP, frankly I'm not sure given the same circumstances that I would shut off the engine ASAP. All I can say for sure is I hope I never have to face this decision.

Anyhow at the onset of any noises any delay in shutting off the engine can be the difference between the engine being salvageable or scrap.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:45 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bummer. Try to enjoy your Christmas anyway...
Old 12-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear (read) this. Just forget it, have plenty of scotch on the rocks or whatever is your thing and come back to it after the holidays. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rubik
Sorry to hear (read) this. Just forget it, have plenty of scotch on the rocks or whatever is your thing and come back to it after the holidays. Merry Christmas.
Definitely a double Lagavulin night for me last night!
Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 PM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
If the failure proves to be an IMSB failure the failure was in evidence at the moment the noise appeared. In fact regardless of the root cause of the noise, the onset of the noise was the failure. The 30 seconds of noise was the death rattle of the engine. BTW, no pun intended for I'm really sorry to read of the OP's engine trouble.

For fear of appearing to be piling on the OP at his time of trouble I hate to mention this but I will for the possible benefit of those that might yet experience this: As soon as you hear anything out of the ordinary, a rattle in this case, shut off the engine ASAP and do not restart the engine, do not attempt to restart the engine. No engine rattle noise ever got better with more engine run time.

Admittedly this is harder to do than it might appear. The noise I'm sure catches everyone by surprise and there is some period of doubt as to what one is hearing -- the noise is so out of character -- and what does it mean and it can't be and so on. There is a tendency to want to try to analyze the noise and I'm sure note any characteristics to be able to make a thorough report to the technician when the car is brought in.

While it is easy to write the engine should be shut off ASAP, frankly I'm not sure given the same circumstances that I would shut off the engine ASAP. All I can say for sure is I hope I never have to face this decision.

Anyhow at the onset of any noises any delay in shutting off the engine can be the difference between the engine being salvageable or scrap.
I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately it's just not possible in some conditions. In this case, I was moving at 75mph in the fast lane of a tollway with limited exits. It took a good 60 seconds, including coasting after the engine shut down, to get to a safe place.

Not a good sound though. Clearly indicitive that some sort of damage was being done!
Old 12-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewMT996
I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately it's just not possible in some conditions. In this case, I was moving at 75mph in the fast lane of a tollway with limited exits. It took a good 60 seconds, including coasting after the engine shut down, to get to a safe place.

Not a good sound though. Clearly indicitive that some sort of damage was being done!
Sorry to hear it and hopefully the engine is salvageable. I'd rather have a dead engine than having someone plowing into me at highway speed.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:33 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Well said. My wife was driving her Mazda several years ago when the radiator let go. She knows to get the car stopped and shut the motor off if something like this happens, but it isn't always as practical - she was in the fast lane of 280 through downtown San Jose in heavy traffic. By the time she could pull over safely the needle was into the red and damage was done. The motor lost a head gasket, maybe warped a head. Those motors are so cheap I elected to source a 35K mile Japan market take-out instead of repairing the original 120K engine. That was 60K miles ago. Oh how nice it would be if we could source used low mile engines for $1K like you can for those cars!

Good luck OP and keep us posted - major suckage especially right before Christmas. And especially if this was a replaced bearing - OEM or LN?

Quick Reply: Engine Failure - Possible IMS failure on '03 996