Ash Tray Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM
langg
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ash Tray Light

Hi all.

I am installing a new shifter ****. It has a lighted pattern. Not sure if I am going to power it but, if I do...

Does anyone know where the power comes from for the ash tray light? Is it powered by the interior lights circuit (comes on with headlights) or what.

Thanks in advance.

Lang G
Old 01-19-2015, 01:13 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ashtray??

If you pop off the sides of the center console you should see a power source for accessories resting on the carpet. Porsche put it there for you.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ash tray light does come on with the headlights, but I would recommend you tap the lighting for one of the power window switches instead.

I just installed a targa sunsade switch in one of the window blanks for my garage door opener. When I first hooked it up, I wired it to the ash tray light (to light the switch like the others) and it didn't light. Checked the ash tray light with a meter, and it only registered around 3v with the lights on. Checked the power window switch lights, and those showed 12v with the lights on. I moved the connection to those and all is good now.

BTW - the illumination leads are the 2 connections on the outsides of the window switches. Ground is brown, hot is the other one. Going off of memory here, but I think it was gray w/ blue stripe.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:53 PM
langg
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hadn't considered the window switch source. Good idea. How did you connect into the switch?

Lang G
Old 01-19-2015, 05:45 PM
rainmn
Instructor

I just used 3M t-taps on the switch wires.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Liceman
Instructor

I installed a lighted shift ****. I tapped into the wire leading to the bulb in the ashtray area. Works like a charm. The light in the shifter comes on with the parking lights and headlights.

Quick Reply: Ash Tray Light