996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Heel/toe accelerator mod options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:40 PM
tshort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Heel/toe accelerator mod options?

I put a wing on my 3.2 Carrera and never looked back - easy bolt-on install; made it easy to just roll my foot over and blip for my downshifts.

Just got my 2003 NB, and here I am with a too-high brake pedal that makes it hard (impossible for me, actually) to do my blip. Looking for your recs for a bolt on, reversible mod. What are you guys using for this?

I did my research on past threads - looks like a bunch of options, including adjusting pedal height (giant PITA, one guy wrote, that didn't really do anything).

Other options look expensive, and of questionable effectiveness (more cosmetic than functional).

thanks for any input.

Tom
'88 Carrera CE Coupe
'03 911 NB x51 Coupe

Last edited by tshort; 01-26-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:02 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious about this too.

Here is something I've thought of...maybe its stupid but what the hell...

I wish there was a was to blip the throttle with the shifting hand. Like a momentary switch on the front of the shaft of the shifter just below the ball. Something like a small trigger that only was active when the clutch pedal was pushed in and the speed was above 40 mph and RPM's were below a set point. Since the throttle is electric let me blip it with the shifting hand upwards to a set ratio relative to the current RPM's not to exceed the upper limit. The computer is already monitoring all that data anyway.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:45 PM
ditto
Racer

I can blip with my SRP pedals. Part of it is having lots more grip on the brake pedal because of the machined pyramids, the rest is the extensions on the accelerator pedal.

http://www.srpracing.com/misc_images...trim_ring6.jpg
Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,465 Posts

The 'high' brake pedal on the 996's actually sets it up very well for throttle blipping when you are braking very aggressively, like on the track. But yes, not so great for just casual braking with blipping... Of course if you do change the setup, it might be good for casual street driving but the pedal no longer be a good track setup.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tshort
I put a wing on my 3.2 Carrera and never looked back - easy bolt-on install; made it easy to just roll my foot over and blip for my downshifts.
Ok, maybe I am missing something...
How does putting a wing on the car have anything to do with heal/toe????
Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

I think he meant 'extension' like the one pictured
a couple of configurations
Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have actually thought about putting some sort of spacer between the stock pedal and the overlay. Since the overlay screws directly into the plastic pedal, some longer screws would be easy to source. Maybe some kind of polyurethane or plastic blocks would work. Hell, a wood spacer painted black might even work.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:11 AM
tshort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JayG
Ok, maybe I am missing something...
How does putting a wing on the car have anything to do with heal/toe????
Wing's Engineering used to make a Third Foot pedal (their name for it). It raised the surface up so it was closer to the brake, and added some width at the bottom to make it easier to catch with the side of your foot.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...gas-pedal.html

Last edited by tshort; 01-26-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-26-2015, 01:38 PM
tshort
Rennlist Member

Re an overlay (and the SRP pedal), that's what the Wing solution solved for. It included alloy clamp brackets on four corners that were all height-adjustable, so you could attach it to the stock pedal and then adjust it to right where you wanted it. And no drilling required. I am going to see if it will fit on the 996 pedal, since that's the car I'm going to be driving more now, and hopefully doing some DE days with.

Quick Reply: Heel/toe accelerator mod options?