Sponsored by:

value of my engine question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM
aggravation
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default value of my engine question

My 2003 C4 has @98,000 miles on it. Runs perfectly. Oil analysis reports on every oil change are all consistently positive according to Blackstone-Labs.

If I decide I want a new engine, say a stage II 3.6 engine built by Flat6 would it be more cost effective to send the car there and they qualify my engine to reuse some of it to base their build on... or... to sell the working engine to a third party and buy the Flat6 engine at the increased cost of not having the core parts to offset that expense?

I guess I'm assuming a lot here (availability of a complete Flat6 engine etc.) but it seems from looking at different threads that the value is greater as a used running engine than the core discount value.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of decision or simply want to venture a guess as to what my engine could bring as a used running engine on the market today?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:08 PM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You may want to check out Pat Williams Racing, sounds like you want a higher HP/TQ engine, since you mentioned stage II. They built a phenomenal 2.6 liter tt 993, there are a bunch of videos of this car. On their website it mentions exchange, might be worth a call. They work on 996's and it's another option worth looking into.
Website quote:
"Like Porsche, racing has made us even more effective with street car service and modification work, the ongoing foundation for PWR for which over half our business is derived. Much of our business is non local and increasingly international. 986-997 service and our engine exchange/rebuild program has expanded significantly in the last 5 years."
Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

During the discussions on one of the recent engine threads, this very question came up. I believe Jake Raby said the price was significantly cheaper for the upgrade if the engine was indeed still running. Of course, you would have to speak to him for the particulars.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Down South said. Call Jake and ask him for his price. Then you have a benchmark.

Quick Reply: value of my engine question