996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New to me C4S, is this low coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 AM
umirza85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me C4S, is this low coolant?

Just picked up my C4S last night and was going take it for a wash. Wondering if the attached picture is the coolant expansion tank? Can I still drive the car with it lower than the min line?

What coolant can I purchase to put in there, have just moved to the UK so a type might be better than an actual brand to suggest.

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, its the coolant tank, yes you can drive it. I'm surprised your coolant warning lamp is not on.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:37 AM
umirza85
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick reply. Sort of hard to see but the fluid is up to the part number on the tank.

What coolant can i put in there? Is any premixed variety at the local gas station alright?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I usually just use the Porsche stuff when needed. I think the VW G12 is the same.
Also from looking at the part number on the cap you need to replace the coolant tank cap, those older ones had issues and there is a newer replacement.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I usually just use the Porsche stuff when needed. I think the VW G12 is the same.
Also from looking at the part number on the cap you need to replace the coolant tank cap, those older ones had issues and there is a newer replacement.
Porsche coolant here too. Dealer sells it at 100%, cut it to 50/50 with distilled water. Yep that cap has the ....01 part number, get the updated ....04 part number at the dealer when you pick up the coolant. Or have them both shipped to you.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously use distilled water when cutting to 50/50.

I would be looking for a leak somewhere. when you fill it go ahead and flip the vent on the top of that tank after warmed up. and then again after cooled down. Can't have any air in the system of things will go wonky.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 PM
umirza85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Porsche coolant here too. Dealer sells it at 100%, cut it to 50/50 with distilled water. Yep that cap has the ....01 part number, get the updated ....04 part number at the dealer when you pick up the coolant. Or have them both shipped to you.
Thanks for the tip guys, will give them a call to see if they have the updated part number. Also I will need to do a coolant flush I guess as I dont really know whats in there. Im assuming the dealership will do it, what are their prices compared to an indie?

Originally Posted by Joe Ricard
Obviously use distilled water when cutting to 50/50.

I would be looking for a leak somewhere. when you fill it go ahead and flip the vent on the top of that tank after warmed up. and then again after cooled down. Can't have any air in the system of things will go wonky.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who ever does it make sure they have the vacuum tool to do it or you WILL end up with air in the system.

There is a procedure to do it without but it's a major pain and not 100% fool proof.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:23 PM
umirza85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Ricard
Who ever does it make sure they have the vacuum tool to do it or you WILL end up with air in the system.

There is a procedure to do it without but it's a major pain and not 100% fool proof.
Dealership it is LOL

cheers.

Also during my PPI the only things wrong (aside from slight oil leak - not dripping) was the external temp sensor was put back wrong I was told - would need to remove the bumper to put it in the right place. And I was missing a heat shield under the car.

Are these things that need to be changed ASAP or can they wait for a week or two?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...ich-antifreeze

"The old technology, a.k.a. "conventional," a.k.a. "inorganic," is green in color. Most of what you see on the shelves at Wal-Mart and AutoZone is conventional, including the yellow bottles of Prestone and the white bottles of Zerex.

One of the new types is "organic acid technology," or OAT. It's orange. General Motors pioneered this chemistry starting with 1996 models in the U.S. and using the name Dex-Cool. Ford changed a few models to OAT, then backed away from it. VW, Audi, and Porsche are OAT users, too, but most others have resisted."
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Yes, its the coolant tank, yes you can drive it. I'm surprised your coolant warning lamp is not on.
My experience is the level has to be pretty low before the low coolant warning light comes on. One time it came on and I had to add nearly a gallon of distilled water to bring the level up. The level was low due to what proved to be a leaking coolant cap.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by umirza85
Dealership it is LOL

cheers.

Also during my PPI the only things wrong (aside from slight oil leak - not dripping) was the external temp sensor was put back wrong I was told - would need to remove the bumper to put it in the right place. And I was missing a heat shield under the car.

Are these things that need to be changed ASAP or can they wait for a week or two?
They are not super critical, but you should get in the habit of getting these pretty much non-critical things taken care of sooner rather than putting them off. It is too easy to put this off, then that off, and before you know it you have a pretty good list of things that need doing.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Remember that this is the expansion tank. So when you fill it, when the engine is cold, fill to about the middle of the word "MIN".
If you fill it to the "MAX" line as it warms up and expands it will vent out of the pressure release in the blue cap, into the "trough" below it and out of the drain line onto the #2 coil and then onto the muffler.

Quick Reply: New to me C4S, is this low coolant?