996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Noticed a rod knock noise in my car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Noticed a rod knock noise in my car...

Well, during the last 2 or 3 engine starts I've noticed a some oil smoke - which was never there before. And today I had to back the car out of the garage and while it was idling in the driveway, I noticed a distinct knocking sound...

The poor engine might not be much longer for this life. However, I've had the car nearly 8 trouble-free years and 55k miles. It's a '99 C4.

We'll see what happens, and I'll keep everyone updated.

I was just looking on ebay, and there are 3.4 liter Boxster engines in the $4-5k range... Any reason why that wouldn't be a "bolt-in" - accounting for the accessories and intake plumbing?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you drive the car in cold temperatures this winter?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:48 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just guessing but putting the engine in the middle of the car vs hanging out the back might create many different issues. Exhaust, motor mounts, transmission placement, coolant system, I think looking for a 911 transplant would be more efficient.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 AM
ejs1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Jake, can you elaborate on what you mean by driving in cold temperatures? Are you referring to cold starts or even driving in cold temperatures even after a warm start? I assume your point is bore scoring and how cold temperatures impact it... What is 'cold' in your textbook and what advice would you give to people who drive their cars year round in 4-season climates?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Indeed - lots of times... What's your theory?

Originally Posted by johnireland
Just guessing but putting the engine in the middle of the car vs hanging out the back might create many different issues. Exhaust, motor mounts, transmission placement, coolant system, I think looking for a 911 transplant would be more efficient.
Yes, of course - that's what I mean by "accessories". I mean, is the basic long-block the same from an M96 Boxster as an M96 996. Clearly, if I take the engine out of my 911, I have the exhaust, intake, engine mounts, etc. ready to bolt onto a new donor.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Say it isn't so Van. Hoping for the best with fingers crossed for you.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:06 AM
gricec
Pro

There is a thread on here about someone putting a boxster s engine in the back. It can be done, I dont think he had too much trouble.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 AM
mikeborden
Instructor

From the pic, is your car showing a little over 169k miles with original engine?

Jake is asking because these engines typically will score bores more frequently if driven in the cold, well cold startup that is.

Was your car sitting up for a while? It could be a lifter as well instead of a scored bore.

Mike
Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ngine_Swap.htm

If it works one way it should work the other.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeborden
From the pic, is your car showing a little over 169k miles with original engine?

Jake is asking because these engines typically will score bores more frequently if driven in the cold, well cold startup that is.

Was your car sitting up for a while? It could be a lifter as well instead of a scored bore.
The engine was replace right before I got the car at 105k - so this engine has about 65k.

It doesn't sit much - I drive it at least every other day... but that does include some super cold weather.

Usually a lifter is more of a "tick" noise, but this is definitely more of a "knock" noise... Oil pressure is still good; coolant temp is good; it's running well otherwise... But something is amiss, I can just tell.

Originally Posted by dgjks6
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ngine_Swap.htm

If it works one way it should work the other.
Good to know!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Well, during the last 2 or 3 engine starts I've noticed a some oil smoke - which was never there before. And today I had to back the car out of the garage and while it was idling in the driveway, I noticed a distinct knocking sound...

The poor engine might not be much longer for this life. However, I've had the car nearly 8 trouble-free years and 55k miles. It's a '99 C4.

We'll see what happens, and I'll keep everyone updated.

I was just looking on ebay, and there are 3.4 liter Boxster engines in the $4-5k range... Any reason why that wouldn't be a "bolt-in" - accounting for the accessories and intake plumbing?
Rod knocking is rare. Before you blame a rod for the noise and condemn the engine be sure a water pump isn't failing.

Or with my Boxster a converter brick was loose. It would generate a deep bass knock upon cold start. Warmed up the thing would buzz like a heat shield was loose.

Once warmed up I can even hear what sounds like rod knocking from my Turbo. Turns out the noise is from the gear box, the rattle of the gears on the input shaft. When I depress the clutch pedal the noise goes away.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by gricec
There is a thread on here about someone putting a boxster s engine in the back. It can be done, I dont think he had too much trouble.
I remember that one and it was a very easy transplant.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:47 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Rod knocking is rare. Before you blame a rod for the noise and condemn the engine be sure a water pump isn't failing.

Or with my Boxster a converter brick was loose. It would generate a deep bass knock upon cold start. Warmed up the thing would buzz like a heat shield was loose.

Once warmed up I can even hear what sounds like rod knocking from my Turbo. Turns out the noise is from the gear box, the rattle of the gears on the input shaft. When I depress the clutch pedal the noise goes away.
I had a loud rocks in a drum knocking sound that I thought was IMS related. It was a broken catalytic converter.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:58 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a recent thread here about Porsche now selling short blocks because the 996 now qualifies for their "classic" parts support.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster

Originally Posted by roadsession
I had a loud rocks in a drum knocking sound that I thought was IMS related. It was a broken catalytic converter.
OK - thanks for the suggestions. When I get a chance I'll do some more sleuthing and see what I can deduce.

Quick Reply: Noticed a rod knock noise in my car...