Sponsored by:

Does magnetic particles in the filter means IMF failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
The original Porsche designed filter housing has the oil bypass valve at the bottom of the housing. This can allow metallic grit, that has settled to the bottom, to bypass the filter under some conditions. IE: First start on a cold winter morning = thick oil/cold start/high rpm.

LNE has designed a "spin on" filter console that does not allow this to happen.

http://lnengineering.com/products/ot...r-adapter.html
This keeps getting said but I never saw any pressure relief in my Boxster's filter housing. My tech sources tell me the pressure relief's in the pump and bypasses pressure back to the low pressure side of the pump.

FWIW, even the oil diagrams show the pressure relief is in the pump area.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
The original Porsche designed filter housing has the oil bypass valve at the bottom of the housing. This can allow metallic grit, that has settled to the bottom, to bypass the filter under some conditions. IE: First start on a cold winter morning = thick oil/cold start/high rpm.

LNE has designed a "spin on" filter console that does not allow this to happen.

http://lnengineering.com/products/ot...r-adapter.html
Originally Posted by Chiamac
Speaking of bypass, here is a good forum thread about the subject.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=309756

IMO the filter is there to try and catch particles and "filter" the oil. It's not there to catch everything and save the engine. I'm fine with it bypassing (although I'd like to have a light or something when it does) because then I know the engine is getting oil and the filter will catch the junk later when the oil circulates around again. I'm a bit leery of deleting the bypass as in cold weather and cold starts I'm using it quite a bit.

Just my opinion, and what I feel comfortable with.

Magnets are a good thing, could even fit something to the plastic filter body with epoxy or some other stuff. But again, they are there to help clean the oil and not to totally eliminate any issues that are floating around.

fwiw there are many old motorcycles still running around today that don't have a true oil filter. They only have pickup screens and oil changes, which works fine other than there is a little more wear on parts than with a filter. Also fwiw I blew up my motorcycle engine pretty good, cracked a piston and later had flames shooting out of a headgasket (lucky it didn't start on fire). Had a lot of junk on the sump, or maybe not a lot but a bit, and the rest of the components were fine for being 40-50 years old. I know these engines are different but it's not like you see some particles and all of a sudden the whole thing is junk. Now, the level of particles seen may or may not warrent further checking, but that's why you bring these to a good shop that you trust.
Thank you very much.

So, if I feel comfortable only with the " Magnetic drain plug", it sounds like I could just do that, right?...just to be sure.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sanjeevan
I have a feeling I could be replacing it for no good reason.

It's a level of risk vs low hanging fruit.

For those of us with manuals, and/or buying a car with unknown clutch wear, it may not be a bad idea to swap out the IMS and see what condition the clutch is in. Although on some models it's rare that one fails, but it can happen.

Plus, even though I said what I did above in another post, it is a better idea to replace wear items before they put junk in the oil...
Old 06-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

As far as the shop, well it's the first time I am taking it to them. This is an independent shop as was the one I was using before.

Recently an acquaintance of mine was impressed with the new shop as they were able to fix some electrical issues with a very old 911 that most other shops couldn't. I guess I haven't forgiven the first shop for scratching the leather on my then brand new car when they installed the roll bar and refused to accept it.

So, it is a new shop. So other than the one solid recommendation I don't have much to evaluate it by....but the mechanic who diagnosed the problem just works there, not the owner. The frist shop was owned by the mechanic and just one other helper (who scratched the leather)
Old 06-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KrazyK
This is one of the most ignorant things a shop could say. You really need to read all JR has to say about the issue of qualifying an engine prior to IMSB retrofit. Especially if you saw the metal sheen and magnetic particles.
I will, thanks
Old 06-05-2015, 12:13 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

But that's when the bearing has failed.
Rubik, this statement is not correct. JR qualifies every engine before retrofit. Regardless if the bearing has failed or not.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Rubik, this statement is not correct. JR qualifies every engine before retrofit. Regardless if the bearing has failed or not.
I've tried a few search term and I can't seem to find JR's main post on IMS...can someone post a link, thanks!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely pull the sump plate. If no metal is found in there than you are lucky and everything is great. If there is metal in there than there might be damage already done to the bearings etc in the motor. Only someone with more knowledge than me should advise you what to do if there is metal in the sump.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

KK, I do agree that JR does qualify every engine before IMS retrofit, but then I'm sure he charges JR $$$ for it too.

However, the general consensus is that if your filter is clean and there is no sign or symptom of an IMS failure - meaning you are doing it preemptively and not reactive to something that you've noticed, then you're good to go. At least that's what my common sense tells me.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:04 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

At least that's what my common sense tells me.
You posted something about common sense in an IMSB thread??

Just kidding, I see your point about JR.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Speaking of bypass, here is a good forum thread about the subject.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=309756

IMO the filter is there to try and catch particles and "filter" the oil. It's not there to catch everything and save the engine. I'm fine with it bypassing (although I'd like to have a light or something when it does) because then I know the engine is getting oil and the filter will catch the junk later when the oil circulates around again. I'm a bit leery of deleting the bypass as in cold weather and cold starts I'm using it quite a bit.

Just my opinion, and what I feel comfortable with.

Magnets are a good thing, could even fit something to the plastic filter body with epoxy or some other stuff. But again, they are there to help clean the oil and not to totally eliminate any issues that are floating around.

fwiw there are many old motorcycles still running around today that don't have a true oil filter. They only have pickup screens and oil changes, which works fine other than there is a little more wear on parts than with a filter. Also fwiw I blew up my motorcycle engine pretty good, cracked a piston and later had flames shooting out of a headgasket (lucky it didn't start on fire). Had a lot of junk on the sump, or maybe not a lot but a bit, and the rest of the components were fine for being 40-50 years old. I know these engines are different but it's not like you see some particles and all of a sudden the whole thing is junk. Now, the level of particles seen may or may not warrent further checking, but that's why you bring these to a good shop that you trust.
You really should do a whole lot of reading on this forum before any more posting!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Ok. I am going to give you the definitive answer to the situation. What makes me qualified to do this. Well, I own a 996 and visit a lot of forums. But more importantly I had a failed IMS in a perfectly fine running engine. There was metal all over the engine. Due to financial reasons I didn't go for a rebuild, against the shops recommendation, and just got the magnetic drain plug and LN spin on filter adapter.

Several thousand miles later and many oil changes let I may have had more metal shavings show up. Everybody freaked out and made me paranoid like my engine was going to explode. So I bit the bullet and paid for a rebuild ( I know refresh) and guess what. Inside of engine was pristine

So replace the IMS. Drop the pan and clean it. Put in a magnetic drain plug and spin on filter. And then never think about it again.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:08 PM
aftCG
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
This keeps getting said but I never saw any pressure relief in my Boxster's filter housing. My tech sources tell me the pressure relief's in the pump and bypasses pressure back to the low pressure side of the pump.

I have to agree with that statement. I found no evidence that there any pressure relief other than the common spring/plunger found on the oil pump housing.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:29 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The simple truth is many engines have failed and many have not and there is no way of knowing what category you will fall in. If you have metal in your filter it is a fact that something is failing already.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Originally Posted by aftCG
I have to agree with that statement. I found no evidence that there any pressure relief other than the common spring/plunger found on the oil pump housing.
That is not correct. At the inside bottom of the filter housing, there's a ~1/2" circular metal disc, which is the spring loaded bypass valve to avoid the filter from being crushed in case it's clogged. You can use pliers to grab the disc and pull straight up to feel the spring.

Of course there's also the spring/plunger pressure relief on the oil pump itself.

Quick Reply: Does magnetic particles in the filter means IMF failure