996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does magnetic particles in the filter means IMF failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

You can see the filter housing bypass valve at the bottom of the canister in post #78 here if you look carefully.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post11968464
Old 06-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
You really should do a whole lot of reading on this forum before any more posting!

People need to do a lot more reading about things on other forums...
Old 06-06-2015, 01:06 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a better photo of the bypass valve in the filter canister.
http://personalizedautohaus.blogspot...d-porsche.html
Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
KK, I do agree that JR does qualify every engine before IMS retrofit, but then I'm sure he charges JR $$$ for it too.

However, the general consensus is that if your filter is clean and there is no sign or symptom of an IMS failure - meaning you are doing it preemptively and not reactive to something that you've noticed, then you're good to go. At least that's what my common sense tells me.
To clarify:
Every vehicle that we accept for a potential IMS Retrofit procedure does see a full evaluation and "qualification" process. We do NOT charge for this, as it is to protect our reputation as well as the owner's Interest in the car.

When qualifying an engine we spend 1/2 of the first day assuming that the engine has an issue, and it just has to be found. I go about this very objectively and due to this 20% of the preventative candidates that we see are turned down for a retrofit procedure, because the qualification inspection uncovers some deficiency. These issues are generally symptomless.

Just because a job is being done preventatively doesn't mean the engine is healthy enough to have an IMSB retrofit process, and spend the money on it. We go for maximum return on investment, which is why I receive IMS Retrofit vehicles from all over North America.

If the year stays booked like it has the first half of 2015, we Wil surpass the 500 mark for IMS Retrofit procedures around October of this year. Out of those 500 we are batting a 100% effectiveness rating, having never had a retrofitted customers engine fail after the procedure. That's more than 3X more installs than any other single facility in the world.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:17 PM
vargas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
To clarify: Every vehicle that we accept for a potential IMS Retrofit procedure does see a full evaluation and "qualification" process. We do NOT charge for this, as it is to protect our reputation as well as the owner's Interest in the car. When qualifying an engine we spend 1/2 of the first day assuming that the engine has an issue, and it just has to be found. I go about this very objectively and due to this 20% of the preventative candidates that we see are turned down for a retrofit procedure, because the qualification inspection uncovers some deficiency. These issues are generally symptomless. Just because a job is being done preventatively doesn't mean the engine is healthy enough to have an IMSB retrofit process, and spend the money on it. We go for maximum return on investment, which is why I receive IMS Retrofit vehicles from all over North America. If the year stays booked like it has the first half of 2015, we Wil surpass the 500 mark for IMS Retrofit procedures around October of this year. Out of those 500 we are batting a 100% effectiveness rating, having never had a retrofitted customers engine fail after the procedure. That's more than 3X more installs than any other single facility in the world.
Take the man's word for it and go with one of his certified installers. I had a different opinion about this when I first joined RL due to some of the chatter on these threads, but have since determined that he is a very honest individual and I would not doubt his word in any way. Some of the posters on these groups seems to suggest Jake tries to scare people but this is not the case, in my opinion. I have yet to go through any IMSB replacement since I am in warranty but I would def go through his network of certified installers to pre-qualify and install the LN bearing when the time came. Thanks for all of the time you've put in here Jake. Time will always show the true character of men.. +1 for this guy!

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 06-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To clarify:
Every vehicle that we accept for a potential IMS Retrofit procedure does see a full evaluation and "qualification" process. We do NOT charge for this, as it is to protect our reputation as well as the owner's Interest in the car.

When qualifying an engine we spend 1/2 of the first day assuming that the engine has an issue, and it just has to be found. I go about this very objectively and due to this 20% of the preventative candidates that we see are turned down for a retrofit procedure, because the qualification inspection uncovers some deficiency. These issues are generally symptomless.

Just because a job is being done preventatively doesn't mean the engine is healthy enough to have an IMSB retrofit process, and spend the money on it. We go for maximum return on investment, which is why I receive IMS Retrofit vehicles from all over North America.

If the year stays booked like it has the first half of 2015, we Wil surpass the 500 mark for IMS Retrofit procedures around October of this year. Out of those 500 we are batting a 100% effectiveness rating, having never had a retrofitted customers engine fail after the procedure. That's more than 3X more installs than any other single facility in the world.
Thanks for chiming in Jake. I didn't know that the qualification process was pro bono. That's further proof to this community that you're the man. If I was in this situation and was close to you, you'd be first on the list.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel I am the LUCKY one. I shipped my car to Jakes shop all the way from Las Vegas. They were in contact with me almost daily. I was initially going to do more than was necessary but Jake told me it was not necessary so I actually spent less money than I was prepared to spend. I talked to Jake myself and feel he is a one of a kind person, very honest and very knowledgeable. My car runs like new and I know if it does ever have a problem it won't be the IMSB. If you are like me and can't really enjoy the car unless you figure you have done all you can to keep the odds in your favor then you should get the car properly pre qualified and have the bearing replaced. If you're not like me you probably can live just fine with the fact that most of the cars NEVER have any problem and you'll enjoy the car as much as me without spending any money. In any case I think we should all be thankful that Jake still posts here and offers his knowledge for free to those of us that need it. I get pissed off at some for seeming to be angry that he might get a customer once in a while and make out financially. Many of us support overpriced medium skilled dealers or indies who do nothing for us for free. I am not implying that all are like that but some are.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

If you are using a "preferred" installer of LN's bearings, they have promised to follow certain pre-installation qualification procedures. I understand JR uses some additional procedures that aren't available yet due to patent issues with the tooling.

Once you have decided on LN as the supplier, then you have to start asking your mechanic which Flat6/LN bearing is going to be used. There can be 2 or 3 LN supplied possibilities and their prices vary.

Ways of you qualifying the shop are to ask;
- how many replacements using the bearing they suggest they have done.
- what tool kit and instructions are they using.
- are they a preferred supplier (you can check on LN's web site at http://imsretrofit.com/preferred-installers/).

Some background on the IMS itself and the kits available from LN may be found at http://imsretrofit.com/ims-101/

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

What's everyone's opinion on IMS solution from LN engineering over the retrofit
Old 06-11-2015, 12:43 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What's everyone's opinion on IMS solution
This should be good.

Out of those 500 we are batting a 100% effectiveness rating, having never had a retrofitted customers engine fail after the procedure.
This statistic is incredible and is another reason why any Porsche owner would be foolish to dismiss any advice or opinion JR has on anything engine related. I personally find it mind boggling that some forum members continue to argue or disagree with him about subjects from oil selection to track prep to IMSB issues. His advice and opinions are priceless yet free to those who choose to listen. Thanks again Jake!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sanjeevan
What's everyone's opinion on IMS solution from LN engineering over the retrofit
Don't be confused, all LN/ Flat 6 IMS products are forms of IMS Retrofit.

The IMS Solution is also a form of Retrofit, it just happens to be the only fully patented product on the market. It's also the one that removes 11 wear components from the equation.

This week I did a really crazy test with an IMS Solution, that defied everything I have ever thought about in the past. I video documented it as well. ill share it when I need to.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:53 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This week I did a really crazy test with an IMS Solution, that defied everything I have ever thought about in the past. I video documented it as well. ill share it when I need to.
Ah! You keep doing this, JR. You are incorrigible, mon ami!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:13 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ran it without oil at high rpm's for a determined amount of time?

We need a Castrol type challenge...
Old 06-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Don't be confused, all LN/ Flat 6 IMS products are forms of IMS Retrofit.

The IMS Solution is also a form of Retrofit, it just happens to be the only fully patented product on the market. It's also the one that removes 11 wear components from the equation.

Thanks...how much more does 'solution' cost in terms of parts and is it a much longer process labor wise?
Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Ran it without oil at high rpm's for a determined amount of time?

We need a Castrol type challenge...
How about 37 miles up a mountain, and back with no oil line attached?

I thought it would fail in about 5-7 minutes, but it NEVER failed. I pulled the whole thing back apart to inspect and the DLC coating was compromised, but that was it.

I don't want to post any of it until I can get a couple of RL member to be here through the entire installation, then drive it back up the mountain chasing the car with my tow truck with a dash cam installed. We'll run it till it does fail, load it on the truck, take it home and pull it apart.

It never should have done what it did, and unfortunately I wasn't ready to collect all the info. I do have a video standing under the car with the engine at 6K RPM and no oil line attached to the IMS Solution.

The Solution should cost at least 1K more than any other technology just for the part, and a Certified Installer should be the only one trusted with the job. Thats different than a Preferred Installer.

You can always ship it to us :-0

Quick Reply: Does magnetic particles in the filter means IMF failure