Sponsored by:

Has IMS solutions ever failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has IMS solutions ever failed

In the last week I've learned there's lots of varying opinions and lots of varying anecdotal evidence centered around the IMS in these engines.

Can anyone give me an answer to this question. Has any engine failed due to IMS after being fitted with an IMS solutions from LN engineering

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 PM
996 SHARK
Instructor

^^ id like to know this answer also. After buying my first 996 and all this reading of IMS failures, it appears that there varying opinions and experiences regarding the failures IN GENERAL. Then, there is the varying opinions and experiences after an IMS upgrade/retrofit.

For now, I will continue to enjoy my C4 until I see impending signs of IMS/RMS failure, then you will see threads from myself lol.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:46 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

First I will respond with typical 996 forum responses - search is you friend and OMG not another IMS thread, maybe we should talk about oil

Second you have to clarify IMS solutions

The IMS solution - AFAIK - 0 failures - new product with limited installers

The retrofits - which there are several types - double, single, and single to double - yes, there have been failures - but they are rare

Now this is where the discussion always gets nasty, why, how, and who's fault?

The discussion usually follows that it was a bad engine to begin with or a bad install, not the bearings fault. Then the discussion goes to well, the numbers of installs are small compared to number of M96 engines built and it took years for the initial failures to show up. You then add a splash of double is better. Which leads back to doubles don't usually fail. Someone then chimes in about the class action law suit.

Finally we end up with no real answer.

But the general feeling is the retrofits - any of them - are better than stock - with no real proof
Old 06-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

There's only one product named "The IMS Solution".

There has never been an IMS Solution failure experienced, or reported. I know, I invented it, and I'd be the first person to hear it.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:53 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

There has never been an IMS Solution failure experienced, or reported. I know, I invented it, and I'd be the first person to hear it.
There's probably a reason you haven't had too many responses on THIS Subject, but IF you didn't get but ONE, Jake is the one you'd want! He IS the Man to talk to! jmo! GL!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:17 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I do not have ims solution in my car yet but I have experinced dealing with Jake first hand on ims guardian. I bought the guardian a couple years ago but just got around to install it recently. My kit was the early batch of production and definitely out of warranty when I installed it in my car. I had oil leak from the mcd sensor and emailed Jake about it. He sent me a new one. The new sensor leaked again and helped me to troubleshoot the root cause of the leak. It turned out to be isssue with my oil pan. It's not the guardian mcd fault but he still helped me. We resolved the issue.

With that experience, I definitely would buy flat 6 product and service again. I believe Jake has done thorough research and testing on ims solution. Even if it ever fail, I believe that he will stand behind it and help you as long as the product is installed properly.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjeevan
In the last week I've learned there's lots of varying opinions and lots of varying anecdotal evidence centered around the IMS in these engines.

Can anyone give me an answer to this question. Has any engine failed due to IMS after being fitted with an IMS solutions from LN engineering

Thanks!
Oh NO you didn't!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

Great, if you've invented it, how many IMS solutions have you sold to be installed by independent mechanics (not counting your shop), plus total installed including your shop.

When were the first ones installed, so I'd know how long it's been out there.

Do you have personal knowledge of cars that has over 50k miles with the IMS solutions installed

Thanks

Pm sent
Old 06-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by laphan
I do not have ims solution in my car yet but I have experinced dealing with Jake first hand on ims guardian. I bought the guardian a couple years ago but just got around to install it recently. My kit was the early batch of production and definitely out of warranty when I installed it in my car. I had oil leak from the mcd sensor and emailed Jake about it. He sent me a new one. The new sensor leaked again and helped me to troubleshoot the root cause of the leak. It turned out to be isssue with my oil pan. It's not the guardian mcd fault but he still helped me. We resolved the issue.

With that experience, I definitely would buy flat 6 product and service again. I believe Jake has done thorough research and testing on ims solution. Even if it ever fail, I believe that he will stand behind it and help you as long as the product is installed properly.
That is good to know....but I don't know how jake is connected to LN engineering, but a quick google search reveals LN engineering doesn't necessarily stand behind their product. There's anecdotal evidence where a guy installed LN engineering IMS retrofit by an authorized mechanic and the IMS failed after 6k miles. LN engineering was willing to pay for their parts but not the cost of engine repair.....which by the way is understandable.....but what I'm saying is, what ever is done or not done...so, no replacement to replacement with any of the myriad options we have, at the end, if the motor blows no one is going to bail you out.

Again, it really doesn't matter.....I am thoroughly convinced it's just mass paranoia, but now that my filter had may be five magnetic shavings, I'm trying to come up with a solution that makes sense for me. No option is bullet proof. I would never ever think of changing it as a precaution though.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dgjks6
First I will respond with typical 996 forum responses - search is you friend and OMG not another IMS thread, maybe we should talk about oil

Second you have to clarify IMS solutions

The IMS solution - AFAIK - 0 failures - new product with limited installers

The retrofits - which there are several types - double, single, and single to double - yes, there have been failures - but they are rare

Now this is where the discussion always gets nasty, why, how, and who's fault?

The discussion usually follows that it was a bad engine to begin with or a bad install, not the bearings fault. Then the discussion goes to well, the numbers of installs are small compared to number of M96 engines built and it took years for the initial failures to show up. You then add a splash of double is better. Which leads back to doubles don't usually fail. Someone then chimes in about the class action law suit.

Finally we end up with no real answer.

But the general feeling is the retrofits - any of them - are better than stock - with no real proof
I'm only talking about IMS solutions, which now I understand is invented by Jake. 0 failure is great, but it depends how long it's been out there......by the way, reading through your responses, I think I have the same view of IMS as you do.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:39 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

Let's light the torches and run this one down! There is a engineering problem with a small probability of failure, however everyone begins to question and demand answers. The Internet spreads rumor, gossip and hysteria develops faster than the speed of light these days. Lost days and nights of worry.... A solution is independently developed in hopes everyone will breathe a sigh of relief, implement and move on.

Nope. Now we want to know the facts and figures on the solution. What if there is a problem with the solution? OMG Get it now? Problem...solution...is there a problem with the solution...need proof....more solution...more is there a problem with the solution.....ad infinitum

Here is an absolute truth - your car/engine will end up in a junkyard someday and no one will give a damn! Stop fretting over this and either get rid of the car or go for a drive! Happy Weekend everybody!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Let's light the torches and run this one down! There is a engineering problem with a small probability of failure, however everyone begins to question and demand answers. The Internet spreads rumor, gossip and hysteria develops faster than the speed of light these days. Lost days and nights of worry.... A solution is independently developed in hopes everyone will breathe a sigh of relief, implement and move on.

Nope. Now we want to know the facts and figures on the solution. What if there is a problem with the solution? OMG Get it now? Problem...solution...is there a problem with the solution...need proof....more solution...more is there a problem with the solution.....ad infinitum

Here is an absolute truth - your car/engine will end up in a junkyard someday and no one will give a damn! Stop fretting over this and either get rid of the car or go for a drive! Happy Weekend everybody!
Lol....I understand your frustration being immersed in this craziness....hey! But there's nothing wrong with asking questions....I really didn't find the answer to the one question I've asked initially. Which will give me a clearer picture on what I need to do next....whether I don't replace anything or replace everything, at the end I'll be very happy with the vehicle.....I'm currently gathering data to act, and once acted upon, it'll absolutely be out of my mind.

With the five odd metallic specs found in my filter even my mechanic thinks my stock IMS probably is still fine, but he strongly recommends replacing it for the small chance it could be...

Have a nice day!
Old 06-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The IMS Solution is not a new product. It's been in the open market for 3 years now, and in world wide circulation for that period of time.

I originally invented this product for my line of engines, exclusively. This is where it first debuted and has been in service.

Here at our facility we have installed over 200 units in retrofit applications and an equal amount have gone into our engine builds. This product took over a decade to invent, develop and patent.

I am not sure if total units sold through LN, because I have nothing to do with sales.

LN does stand behind their product, if the installer completes the process as directed. My position with LN is their developer and not thing more. I assisted with the founding of the company, was their first customer and have remained their largest customer. Over 15 years we've done a lot together.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:53 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove my car from Las Vegas to Los Angeles again on Friday and I will drive back to Vegas again tonight. Every time I open the door I see the FLAT SIX sticker with some serial numbers etc Jakes shop affixed to the door jamb after they replaced the IMSB. I like that little sticker, in my mind it makes me think that the car is even better than when it was new.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:39 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Which is worse...your wife cheating on you...you cheating on your wife and getting caught...or IMS failure? If you are worried about your IMS, you're one up on the other two guys because over 90% of the stock ones are still on the road and doing fine...and if you're still worried, Jake can help you.

If you're one of the other two guys...well you are in real trouble.
The following users liked this post:
cavlino (03-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Has IMS solutions ever failed