Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I thought I purchased a car yeterday....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not defending the guy, but if you were setting up a PPI and the car was a lemon after the inspection, because of the handshake you will still buy it?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsby
I bought a 911sc 3 times over last year over the course of 2 months, each time the price went up a few bucks, really frustrating but third time was the charm. Found out his meds we're really messed up, he was 70.

Things happen, there's another out there. While this was going on I bought a gt3 for track and I drive the 911sc 3-4 days a week as my dd over the summer.

Think positive a better one is right around the corner!

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's garage"

Damn, just broke that commandment. Post a pic of your maidservant so we can break that one too.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 443 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by rbc123
Coltswitch be the fool.
Yeah, and he's not exactly a "member" in my book. Looks like he only joined RL to try to sell the car, not to be an active contributing member of the RL community.

The other comments are valid, too. It was an offer contingent on results of the PPI, no deposit was left, etc. Still, reeks, but 996s aren't exactly rare, so you will find another soon.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 AM
bradbeck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did he let you know it was also posted on ebay or only when he texted you that it was sold? I can understand a seller choosing multiple methods to sell a car, but I also completely agree that he should have let you know about the pending sale as well and an opportunity to decide how you wanted to proceed.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Why didn't you put a deposit down with the handshake? I always do and so does anyone that ever buys anything from me. You are old enough to know, money talks.....

A handshake is nice but if you back out, what does the seller supposed to do?
absolutely positively.

there are two sides to every story. i have to side with the seller here. in the absence of a deposit, the car is still first come first serve, you lost!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 AM
cerex
Racer

Just giving the seller the benefit of the doubt here.

But perhaps someone hit the buy it now button on eBay making it a binding contractual sale which the seller had to honor?

Handshakes are great and I respect them, but buy it now with a PayPal payment or a wire transfer trump them in today's electronic market place and it takes a second. Meanwhile you deal was still pending a PPI which basically means your handshake is an intension to buy but not a commitment!

Sorry you missed out! I am sure another great deal is around the corner.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:57 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the experience. We just got taken on a used car purchase by a private seller. Handshakes galore, retired, marine veteran, great car, you won't have any problems with it he tells my son. We needed the car for my son to safely transport his 3 month old daughter. And I was very clear about the need for the car. There is a lot to the story and many red flags which I warned my son about, but kids are kids. We teach them to trust then life happens.

All we can do is stick to the Golden Rule for ourselves. Do unto others as you would have done to yourself. Even though the temptation is great to Do unto others as they have done to you.

The right car will find you.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cerex
Just giving the seller the benefit of the doubt here. But perhaps someone hit the buy it now button on eBay making it a binding contractual sale which the seller had to honor?
eBay sales are a binding contract, EXCEPT for automobiles or real estate. So there wouldn't have been any obligation to sell to an eBay bidder.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be weary about a rennlister with only 10 posts.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM
cerex
Racer

Originally Posted by KoB
eBay sales are a binding contract, EXCEPT for automobiles or real estate. So there wouldn't have been any obligation to sell to an eBay bidder.
I did NOT know that thanks. Have sold/bought on eBay since 1998 but have never dealt with the car market. Now I have something new to look into today.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 AM
pshep138
Advanced

I have to agree - no deposit, the car was still technically for sale. Of course, unless OP intended to buy the car even if it failed PPI.

If I had $1 for every person that has come and looked at a car from me, haggled, shook my hand, then disappeared without buying the car, I could've probably kept the cars instead of selling them.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imo000
Why didn't you put a deposit down with the handshake? I always do and so does anyone that ever buys anything from me. You are old enough to know, money talks.....

A handshake is nice but if you back out, what does the seller supposed to do?

Well, for a car I'd expect anyone serious to put money down and/or sign a contract dependent on the (in this case) ppi. Sans any of that and it really wasn't much of a deal.

I don't think karma will get anyone. The early bird got the worm, the seller seems like they will get paid, life is all good in their world.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pshep138
If I had $1 for every person that has come and looked at a car from me, haggled, shook my hand, then disappeared without buying the car, I could've probably kept the cars instead of selling them.

Had a lady this weekend no-show for a photo session. Emailed me on Thursday or Friday about headshots, agreed on a price, agreed on a time, and didn't hear anything after that.

These things happen.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:00 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Another angle might be that there are issues with this car that the seller knows about and he knew it would not survive a proper PPI. He chose to sell to someone who bought it sight unseen without contingencies for that reason.

Just a thought.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I had this happen to me in the past and it sucks. It wasn't even age related. Ever since then, I play it safe with a written up contract and money deposit. No guessing that way and keeps both parties honest.

People will use all sorts of things to try to sell their car and appear genuine. Biggest squabble I got into in the past was when they tried to play the Christian Church going card.

Quick Reply: I thought I purchased a car yeterday....