Sponsored by:

Insurance companies!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance companies!

I should have done more checking 6 months ago when I got the car...

But either way I just can't understand that, for the same coverage pretty much, the spread is $220 a month to about $85 a month. Same car, same me, pretty much the same everything.

Geico was the cheapest, and I think Allstate was the most expensive. I've been paying around $170 which seems to be the middle through State Farm, and Progressive and Esurance is right around there as well although I think they are more at $140 and $150ish respectively.

I should have known better as it's the same thing for motorcycle coverage on my old bikes that I never really use.

So just to vent a little and if nothing else this thread is a public service to remind everyone that once it a while it doesn't hurt to check.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:20 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

During my 996 ownership, I've found that: Allstate was super expensive, State Farm was reasonable and Progressive was cheap.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:32 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found Wawanesa to be priced the most reasonable and their service is excellent
Old 08-13-2015, 03:44 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AAA is the way to go
Less expensive than any other company I found
Great service
No BS when filing a claim

If you have a soon to be new driver, they don't charge ANYTHING from when they get their learners permit until they are 16 1/2 unless they get a moving violation or are more than 50% fault in an accident

Of course, you and everyone on the policy must be a good driver. I think its max 1 point in last 3 years to get the policy
Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For you guys that got Allstate quotes - you're lucky they would even give you one. Here in NJ, they won't even quote my C4S. I asked if it was specific to that model, and was told they won't issue a new policy on any Porsche in NJ.

Funny thing is that I've used Allstate on all my cars for several years now, and nobody else has been able to beat their rates. Used to have USAA, but they kept creeping up until they were no longer competitive.

I still have Allstate on my wife's SUV, but ended up going with Progressive for the Porsche.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
AAA is the way to go
Less expensive than any other company I found
Great service
No BS when filing a claim
+1. My 996 is about $420 a year with 100/300 coverage.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
For you guys that got Allstate quotes - you're lucky they would even give you one.
I had something like that happen when I called Geico about my XK8. I was 25 at the time and had about as many points on my license. When my record came up on the agents computer she couldn't contain the laughter
Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
I had something like that happen when I called Geico about my XK8. I was 25 at the time and had about as many points on my license. When my record came up on the agents computer she couldn't contain the laughter

I must have done something wrong on Liberty Mutual. Came out at $600 some a month... Either way, if done correct, I'm thinking they would have been more expensive.

Also this thread is in no way to say one company is better or worse than another. It really depends, which is why it's best to shop around.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
I must have done something wrong on Liberty Mutual. Came out at $600 some a month... Either way, if done correct, I'm thinking they would have been more expensive.

Also this thread is in no way to say one company is better or worse than another. It really depends, which is why it's best to shop around.
Yes but with Liberty Mutual, when your total "Brad" they buy you a brand spanking new "Brad"
Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Any insurance co. have zero-deduct windshield replace (not repair)?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
Any insurance co. have zero-deduct windshield replace (not repair)?
Mine, USAA, does but there is an upcharge for OEM glass from Porsche. I think I paid 150 bucks to have mine replaced. No deduct and I get one per year.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

STAY AWAY FROM PROGRESSIVES!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:31 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Originally Posted by Gator996
Mine, USAA, does but there is an upcharge for OEM glass from Porsche. I think I paid 150 bucks to have mine replaced. No deduct and I get one per year.
Thanks Gator. Can you have a Porsche dealer install it, and does it matter (in your opinion)? I think they might have to remove the windshield wipers linkage and possibly heater core (?)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The timing of this is funny. I was just reviewing my coverage with Geico yesterday and thought it seemed kind of high. Went out and did a quote for exact same coverage levels with Farmers, and they came in at almost twice as much. Decided I would leave well enough alone and stay with Geico for now.

Have had good experience with Geico, and wasn't really itching to leave. Just thought maybe I could do a little better. Guess not. (Based on my sample of exactly 1 attempt to comparison shop)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
Thanks Gator. Can you have a Porsche dealer install it, and does it matter (in your opinion)? I think they might have to remove the windshield wipers linkage and possibly heater core (?)
I still had to go through SafeLite as that is their contractor. They ordered the glass from Porsche and installed it at my office. I did verify that the glass had the little triangle stamped on the lower left corner. I forget the name of the glass. I couldn't watch the guy do the work as I had some meetings but it came out flawless. USAA will only replace it if the chip is larger than a quarter or the crack is longer than a dollar bill. Otherwise they will spec a resin repair. That's probably a standard for most companies.

Quick Reply: Insurance companies!