Sponsored by:

IMS Anxiety - First Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM
John Harman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Anxiety - First Purchase

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an immaculate 2003 Carrera with 56K miles. Spending some time on various forums has educated me (confused me) on all the concerns with IMS. The car I'm looking at has already received a replacement engine# M96/03AT66566575. I'm under the impression that this engine was installed in 2005. I'm looking for information that would tell me if this engine has the non-serviceable IMS as I suspect? If so, what is the procedure/typical cost to replace the bearing if I start to suspect something is amiss? Any words of wisdom to help alleviate my anxiety? The car is perfect for me and inspects great.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry about it, the incidence in the replacement engines is much lower than in the original ones. I bought my '02 with 58k miles 3 years ago, now I'm pushing 80k and I have not been losing sleep over it at all.

Just buy the car and enjoy it for what it is, an immaculate car with a newer, low mileage engine. That engine may have been installed in 2005 OR it is merely the 2005 spec. Mine is the same but was installed in 2008. I believe the serial numbers for the reman engines end at 2005, i.e. it would indicate 2005 even if actually reman'd later than that. The service records would tell you how many miles/years are on the new engine.

Yes the IMSB is non-serviceable and would require splitting the cases which basically involves disassembling the whole thing, i.e. not cost effective.

Drive it, keep the revs above 2500 when cruising and run it to redline regularly. That seems to keep most of them happy.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:41 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

DONT DO IT!!!! YOU WILL LOOSE SLEEP FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL MONTHS, STARING AT YOUR CEILEING IN BED WHISPERING TO YOURSELF, "...when"
Old 09-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If the engine was replaced in 2005, it may not have the new larger IMSB.
It depends upon when the engine was manufactured (or remanufactured).
The new bearing was first used in engines built between 2005 and 2006. It was phased in over a period of several months to the best guesses I've seen.
All of that aside, buying a 996 means you are buying a vehicle that has been known to have expensive engine failures, though very infrequently.
Be at peace with that before you buy it, or don't buy it.
Some owners have peace by being proactive and replacing the bearing, although there is a thread on the forum right now where a replacement bearing failed at 20K miles.
No guarantees in life that there wont be problems.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:20 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

You know the old saying about lightning never striking twice? Failure rate for the first engine is very low overall. Chances that a replacement engine will crap out are . . . well has anyone heard of it EVER happening?
Buy it. Drive it. If the engine dies, sell the carcass and move on knowing that the fickle finger of fate hosed you to the tune of about $12k (or about the same amount as the sales tax or the first-day depreciation on a new 991).
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

The 996 is an awesome car. Buy it. Drive it like you stole it and don't look back. Just try not to think too much about I*S% failure!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 AM
cinellipro
Instructor

Locally we recommend to anyone buying a lower mileage 996, 997.1, 986, 987.1 to change the IMSB. The day you buy the car make an appointment with your local indy and have them replace the IMSB. I recommend going to the eternal/permanent fix. It’s a onetime maintenance item and once installed you can concentrate on enjoying your Porsche. This is what 964, Carrera and earlier 911’s owners do with their valve guides, head studs, chain tensioners, head gasket seals, and valve cover and timing cover gaskets problems. Those are manufacturing design defects that have plagued a much higher percentage of 911's than the IMSB has with the 996. regarding the costs of those repairs in comparison to the IMSB upgrade for example, a non-upgraded 2.7 engine can accrue a $15,000 bill on valve guides and heads studs alone. A 964 with a repair of the head gaskets, flywheel, and acceleration sensor can add up to $11K+. They repair or upgrade the defective part when they purchase their cars and move on. It’s really that simple. Imagine if the internet would have been around when the 2.7 engines or the 964 engines began having its problems.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, you can spend $1,800 and just replace the IMS bearing and be done with it. However if you do the following, you may never have a problem with the ims bearing. There are cars with over 100k miles with the original bearing and when it was pulled the bearing showed little wear.

Drive your car. Drive it hard every week. Take a nice 30 minute romp. Drive it like a Porsche. Keep the revs HIGHER, at or above 2,500 rpm whenever it is reasonable to do so. Don't get crazy about it, just make a habit of staying in the sweet sweet higher rpm neighborhood. Change your oil. Change your oil frequently. Every 3,000 miles or 6 months. Porsche was recommending oil changes every $15,000 miles. Why the $ sign? Because those 15,000 mile oil changes were eventually costing $15,000.

Recently I have spoken with three separate mechanics at three Porsche service facilities (two dealers and one indy). All three had personally replaced engines and many many ims bearings. They did say if you don't know anything about the car's history it's just a good idea to replace the bearing. After that, they recommend what I stated above. Driving the car, getting it hot, and changing the oil frequently.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're really that worried change out the filter and look for crud halfway between oil changes. That should be plenty of time to spot a bearing that's going out and be cheaper than going ahead and doing it.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:14 AM
dvs3.6
Advanced

pull the trigger! I bought one 3months ago and the only sleep I loose is the when I wake up to admire her sitting in my garage! mine too is a 03 with 54k miles.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Dan_N
Advanced

Just purchased an 04 C4S with 38K miles.

The 996 platform has depreciated significantly (partly due to IMS failure scare)... they are frankly a steal at current prices.

Love, love the car and budgeting for the IMS Solution by end of year.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You could play timid all your life and then on your death bed one day, look back and wish you would've taken a chance and banged the hottest girl on campus but you were too scared that you could get gonorrhea and passed. Life's too short, go out and play.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
cinellipro
Instructor

alpine003- Those are the most meaningful words I have seen in this entire forum. With one exception, wear a condom and change the IMSB and there will be no regreats. It's a no-brainer.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

You may want to change your valve seats , chain tensioner, water pump, aos, piston rings etc etc etc... before you drive this time bomb anywhere. Any component can fail and destroy an engine and they do from time to time. XXX is only one type of failure.

OR

Stop reading these forums and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:07 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cinellipro
alpine003- Those are the most meaningful words I have seen in this entire forum. With one exception, wear a condom and change the IMSB and there will be no regreats. It's a no-brainer.
Bareback and no IMS change for me.

Quick Reply: IMS Anxiety - First Purchase