996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I think my engine is done for..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't know what happened yet - I'm in a tow truck for a couple hundred miles. This happened 700 miles from home in northern California, somewhere north of Redding.

I was on my way to Bend , where I was going to be for the next couple months. Have my cat with me, too - my traveling partner.

I didn't want to leave it somewhere far from me, so I'm towing it to Bend. I'll bring it somewhere this week and see what the diagnosis is.

I'm really bummed out and sad to think that I may not ever drive it again. It was a great car and has brought me all over the US, in all weather, and never let me down once.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Well I don't know what happened yet - I'm in a tow truck for a couple hundred miles. This happened 700 miles from home in northern California, somewhere north of Redding.

I was on my way to Bend , where I was going to be for the next couple months. Have my cat with me, too - my traveling partner.

I didn't want to leave it somewhere far from me, so I'm towing it to Bend. I'll bring it somewhere this week and see what the diagnosis is.

I'm really bummed out and sad to think that I may not ever drive it again. It was a great car and has brought me all over the US, in all weather, and never let me down once.
Marque Motors in Portland... They are sharp guys, and the most proficient M96 techs in the state.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

There is a good Indy in Bend, German Master Tech. They get good marks on air-cooled cars, but I think they know the newer stuff too. Lot's of PCA guys like them.

There is a Porsche dealer in Bend as well, but I'm not sure they'd be the ones to go to for this? Not to say they are bad, just a question on whether they'd do anything other than try to sell a crate motor.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:07 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I do think Cuda's issue and maybe even this one shows the case for more invasive PM before the miles rack up. I think the M96 should be dropped no later than 60,000 to 75,000 miles for chains, guides, etc. If you didn't already do the IMSB upgrade it would be a perfect time to do that as well. Either way, I think 60,000 is as far as I would venture w/o dropping.
What do you think of this one Jake? Is PM replacement of chains and guides called for at some point? If so, what would you figure on average mileage to do that?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by mharrison
What do you think of this one Jake? Is PM replacement of chains and guides called for at some point? If so, what would you figure on average mileage to do that?
Yes, this is the reason we developed the master linked main chains.

As far as a mileage point to do this, well, that's a loaded question, because the 3 and 5 chain engines wear differently. I base this from measurements of chain rollers. I measure 20 rollers at various points of the chain and average their numbers, then make the decision from there.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 PM
rustymon
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring it to Albany, Oregon and let me remove the engine and turn it into an electric porsche! Faster than stock 0-60, 400+ft/lbs of instant torque and tons of fun... actually I've been talking with the guy who helped me convert mine about starting a business around electrifying Porsches... if there are any intrepid souls out there, PM me!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:03 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rustymon
Bring it to Albany, Oregon and let me remove the engine and turn it into an electric porsche! Faster than stock 0-60, 400+ft/lbs of instant torque and tons of fun... actually I've been talking with the guy who helped me convert mine about starting a business around electrifying Porsches... if there are any intrepid souls out there, PM me!
Rusty, please update your original thread. I think quite a few of us are interested in your observations thus far and how everything is going with your electric experience.

Quick Reply: I think my engine is done for..