Sponsored by:

Is anyone man enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 02:34 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Is anyone man enough?

A 4 part question...... Has anyone ever been done for speeding in a 996 and is man enough to admit it on this board? If so, did you have a detector on board? If so what type? If you have never been done for speeding in your 996, do you have a radar detector on board or not? My answer to my own question is:- I Have never been done for speeding in 30,000 miles. I have a Python 360 laser detector on board. I do not speed simply because I have a detector on board. Many times I do drift over the limit.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:10 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through 8 911s over the years, I've never been stopped for speeding in one of them. I have, however, been stopped in "lesser" cars. And I don't have a radar/laser detector. Typically, I drive at maybe 10 mph over the limit - exception anywhere near a school.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No tickets in the 911 and until this summer in the Cayenne never in a car that I paid more than $30k for. Picked em up like litter in my old 94 Duster, my 98 Golf was pretty good for that too, and a couple in my 04 Escape. My 2 e30s cost more than $30k, but I paid substantially less so I'm not sure how they fit in the correlation (no tickets). Don't drive any different based on the car I'm driving, so I can't explain it as I view speed limit signs as a suggestion

We've been running V1s since 98, but over the last couple of years I don't bother to move it between cars any more. So mine sits in the Cayenne all the time and I drive the 911 without it. Again, no difference in driving style.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:53 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does "been done for speeding" even mean?
Old 01-03-2016, 04:05 PM
pavster
Instructor

40k miles on my 997, bought new 7+ years ago. No tickets, but neither have I had any in either of my other cars in the same span of time, and quite a few more miles total. All driven in the same manner - with the flow of traffic or slightly faster. When I just bought the 997, which is my first P-Car, I did a few crazy things, and was surprised that I got away with them. Got a few warning flashes from cruisers but never pulled over.

I don't carry a radar detector because to me they are an automatic admission of guilt - everyone speeds where I live, in Boston area; sometimes the traffic moves as much as 20 mph over the limit.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:07 PM
maui
Instructor

Yes, no, I was pulled over on a back country road here in south Jersey rt47 in the twists doing 70 in a 50. That being said the only two people on 47 that day was I heading south and a state trooper heading north. As soon as we saw each other he did a you turn and I just pulled over. I was busted and have great respect for our law enforcement . He pulled up in back and came up to the window and smiled ..... Nothing really needed to be said , I had everything ready for him and a stack of F.O.P cards that I keep in my wallet.
His reply was are you heading home back to the shore? Mine Yes sir, he said did you know you don't have a front plate ? I said yes sir , I don't like the way it make her look. . He said then please be a little more gentile with her . I said I would , he gave me a Tix for no front plate and I was on my way..
The moral being support law enforcement , shown respect , and always give them a second option ! Paid the $65 on line when I got home !!
By the way , he loved my 996c4s cab!!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:03 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by maui
The moral being support law enforcement , shown respect , and always give them a second option
Sound like the last I got in the Escape. Came around a corner doing 20+ over and the laser went off in the V1. I couldn't see him, but I knew where he was sitting (not regularly there, but if they were there was a single spot) so I went a head and pulled over. We go through the usual "how fast" banter and as he is writing my VIN down he noticed the V1 (illegal in VA) and the following was:

Him: what's that?
Me: radar detector.
Him: you know those are illegal?
Me: yes.
Him: didn't do you any good did it?
Me: you didn't have to chase me did you? (He didn't have to move his cruiser)

After he got done laughing he wrote me a plain speeding ticket far lower than what we both know I was doing. Didn't even ticket me for the V1

It boggles my mind that people give cops crap for doing their job when they know they were breaking the law. I find as long as you are respectful and don't try to give them a bunch of BS excuses they are generally pretty cool people. I have run into a couple bad ones though and it is a shame they are out there.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Got pulled over in the GT3 2 years ago because he heard me, even in Chicago even that's a stretch, no ticket though.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:06 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

4 of my 5 Porsches have been guards red. The cops never seem to even notice me.

Seriously though, of the red ones, I only got a ticket in the 964, although my son got 2 in the 951. The black '99 aero coupe was a freaking cop magnet. Never had a radar detector in any of them.

The 996tt has a Passport 9500 built in system and an additional laser jammer/diffuser. It is making me a believer again.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:26 PM
maui
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gadsby
Got pulled over in the GT3 2 years ago because he heard me, even in Chicago even that's a stretch, no ticket though.
Like we say when I ride the Harley .... Loud pipes save lives ! Love it ,,,,,,, heard you coming !!!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:37 PM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last ticket was in 1992 in my 1986 Porsche 944. 88mph in a 55. Did not have a detector that day. My first detector was a Super Snooper I bought in the mid-seventies. The last detector I purchased was a Passport 8500 I bought in the late nineties and I still use in it in my BMW wagon. My 911 came hardwired with a Passport SRX.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

In re-reading the original post, I'm not sure I answered all of Hurdi's questions. Am I man enough? Well after a quick Google search, I found this and realized that "No, I am not nearly man enough":

Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm a little ashamed of how serious the responses have been. What's happening to this forum?
Old 01-03-2016, 08:41 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Seven Porsches and three Ferraris over the last 35+ years.......no tickets. Always got my speed fix on the track.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Water Hound
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Has anyone ever been done for speeding in a 996
Not yet (knock on wood) although God knows I've been a prime candidate more than a few times. Haven't had a speeding ticket in 24 years by some miracle or another.

and is man enough to admit it on this board?
Hmmm, interesting question. Man enough to admit to a previous ticket on an anonymous forum where anyone can write any smack that they feel like with no consequences? Shouldn't take Shaft to man up to that. Would I man up by posting a video showing the said infraction(s), a shot of the speedo, the vehicle plate and my face/name? Hell no!

If so, did you have a detector on board?
No detector. Only my eyes, a good brain with enough intelligence to miss the obvious speed trap locations and the requisite horseshoe rammed sideways up my _ _ _ for good luck.

Quick Reply: Is anyone man enough?