Air Suspension kit for C4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:12 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnymooshoo
Tank size for reference.
That's something else to consider in an AWD variant, where to keep the tank/compressor. Due to the front diff they have significantly less space in the frunk than the RWD cars.

Obviously it's been done to TTs as shown in this thread so it is possible, but it's something you will need to consider when picking your equipment.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Serious question.

When you drive around like this, aren't you stressed? Aren't you worried that a piece of gravel or an expansion joint might tear off your front bumper?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 AM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Serious question.

When you drive around like this, aren't you stressed? Aren't you worried that a piece of gravel or an expansion joint might tear off your front bumper?
Gotta pay to play...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:46 AM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnymooshoo
This is the VRH Umbrella kit I was talking about... Option 2

it's a pneumatic air chamber fitted on top of a coilover, in this case KWV3's which allow for 75mm lift to help get over curbs, speed bumps and driveways. You can drive static low yet still maintain some daily practicality

Tank size for reference.

Any idea on the cost of the VHR system? I dont see prices on their website.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 AM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW! Can you believe it??!! SIX pages of discussion on a topic that the first few comments were trashing the subject!

Glad to see the question was accepted as legitimate, and that there were responses that were experience-based and truly useful.

NO! This forum should NOT be someone's safe little niche ("those ideas don't belong on this forum")("we are purists"). What crap.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:08 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Well the question could have been...WTF are you thinking?....he went the reasonable route. Simple question deserves a simple answer. I'm thinking you want to hang in East LA..
for what it's worth, you generally don't see Donks in East LA
Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

there is a c4s around here with air ride, all I could see was the accuair controller when I saw it a few weeks back. Will dig in if I see him again.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:04 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
there is a c4s around here with air ride, all I could see was the accuair controller when I saw it a few weeks back. Will dig in if I see him again.
The air management is the easiest part of an air ride system. What's more valuable to OP is if the person needed to change control arms, what struts were used, is there any interference between the bag and other parts, sensor locations.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Jonnymooshoo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by george_west
Any idea on the cost of the VHR system? I dont see prices on their website.
I looked into this a few years back when I was considering something for my R. I vaguely remember it was $2500-3500 on top of the cost of your coilovers. Some people elect to do just the front struts, some do the front and rear.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Jonnymooshoo
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Serious question.

Ride height is usually set at the same height as most lowered cars on coilovers. You are really only laid out and slammed when parked in fact, the added ability to go higher to clear driveways and speed bumps is very helpful
Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
Like some of the other posters, I was looking into a rapidly height-adjustable suspension.
My reason was to be able to run the height low for driving on most roads and for autocross, but be able to raise it for steep driveways and parking-lot entrances. I also drive my 996 to go camping and fishing, which sometimes requires driving a few miles on unpaved roads, for which I'd raise it up. I already scraped the engine in a semi-paved campground, and that was when my car was stock US height. I now have the Porsche engine skid plate (see https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...d-plate-4.html).

I know you're looking for an air system, but KW makes a hydraulic system for a mere $10K (see http://www.carid.com/kw-suspensions/...FYeBfgodq20ICQ).
That hydraulic system looks good for what I would want it for, not sure I could get the some places on some back roads with only a 1.8" height increase though.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My "why" question was just a simple why question. Im very far from being a purist, i just believe that if im buying a certain car i want to use that car for the purpose it was built for. You and i and everyone and their mother can do whatever the hell to their car and other belongings as they please. Most people wont buy a SP or GR car as it stands out more but I wouldn't have it any other way. So if you want to use your pcar as a low rider to cruise in thats all your business and do what pleases you. But when you are asked a simple question as in why out of curiosity you dont need to rant off as if you have to ask then you wouldn't understand. Your ride your choice. I myself have learned a lot from this forum and there is stuff that i learn each and every day. Just my .2 cents, if you want to learn then you need learn how to play
Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It also might help to introduce oneself instead of jumping in with what could be a controversial post

Introducing your self is always a good way to start rather than making snarky responses to a response to your first post
Old 01-30-2016, 01:19 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I'll put my two cents in. So, OP bought a Porsche and wants to remove the suspension which is arguably the #1 defining characteristic of a Porsche and replace it with air bags so it will look like a GTI and handle civic. Ok, yea I don't see a problem with that.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Ok, I'll put my two cents in. So, OP bought a Porsche and wants to remove the suspension which is arguably the #1 defining characteristic of a Porsche and replace it with air bags so it will look like a GTI and handle civic. Ok, yea I don't see a problem with that.
Have you ever ridden in a car with airbags? I thought the same thing until I drove in one/drove one. Very good ride. But you are kind of right...

Quick Reply: Air Suspension kit for C4S