996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Very Bad Key Loss Situation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:55 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,713 Posts

if car ever needs moving when locked and lost key, use 4 wheel dolly's under wheels - the car can be pushed by 1 person easily - but have 2-3 people on hand to make sure the car rolls in direction you want

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-06-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
Why wouldn't this work: Get a new key cut from the dealer, open the car door, turn off parking brake, push the car out of the spot, install tow hook on the bumper, and use a regular car to strap tow it up and out of the garage and then put it on the tow truck. If the alarm is yelling, just disconnect the battery.
You just saved me typing a good common sense reply.

Lets see some photos of the car in situation in the car park?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM
CarlOrton
Instructor

yes
But, you could then open the hood and disconnect the battery. I'm saying that in ignorance, since I'm assuming the frunk does not go into lockdown if the alarm is blaring.

My local dealer will not have a key made unless you show them proof of title. Registration won't do, since here in TX anyone can register a car.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Justin S2
Rennlist Member

I bought four wheel dollies from harbor freight with a coupon. Surprisingly good quality and very easy to move cars. I would probably do that. What a royal PITA, sorry to hear about your situation. Some of these replies are hilarious.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:20 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your problem is they keep sending flatbeds. You need a regular tow truck that's lower and shorter. The normal tow bar supports the front wheels and the wheel dolly things they have supports the back wheels. None of your wheels are on the ground and both axles (you now what I mean) are supported.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:44 PM
Hammerthrow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone curious, this is how it played out at the dealer:

Dealer has a special tow service they use for 911s and AWD cars that require special attention. Tow guy came (standard truck this time), got into garage but after measuring turn radius with car potentially on back, was very hesitant to try it. He said, worst case scenario, he could absolutely get it out but no guarantees about front bumper and aftermarket wheels not being damaged. I can't describe the garage well, but there is a sharp 90 degree turn at the top of a steep incline, and this has the tow truck driver nervous.

So anyway, went to dealer today with my registration and ID card. They ordered keys from Germany. Will arrive after about 3-4 weeks (I'm in Asia). Dealer said if they can't extricate the car, they'll send a tech to the garage to program the key, which is somewhat relieving.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

It might have helped if you had mentioned it was a C4 and you were in Asia, and not N America.

Oh well, my bad I guess.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Hammerthrow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is not a C4, it is a GT3. I just mentioned that the dealer has a special guy they call for the C4 models because AWD cars are not common here, and a typical tow service would likely mess it up, so they've got a guy who specializes in towing exotics, lowered vehicles, and 4WD vehicles, who I assume has developed a bunch of tricks and methods over the years dealing with these types of situations.

And yeah, you guys were all correct, extricating the car from its resting place isn't a problem at all. They've got rollers and other tools. They can move the car around in the garage. It's the exit from the garage that was the issue.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That really sucks to have to wait so long , but it sounds like the only sensible alternative. Share a pic of your GT3 so we can all salivate.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
It might have helped if you had mentioned it was a C4 and you were in Asia, and not N America.

Oh well, my bad I guess.
Yeah now it makes sense. I don't know too many here in the states that keeps a gt3 in a public parking garage, let alone buys or sells a gt3 with only one key.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A tech coming to the garage to program is the ideal solution, aside from the 3-4 week wait. I hope it isn't hourly parking!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

The car's in Asia? Well, jeez, child labor is dirt cheap there. Just hire a classroom full of Asian kids to carry it out.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:03 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I could’ve sworn I had a key made in a few minutes at the dealer without having the car there. Just the VIN #, registration (North Carolina, USA), and a borderline unreasonable amount of money. But from memory, they made the key including the immobilizer without the car. I want to say you can have up to 5 keys before they need to reprogram the car, and the first 3 are used up by default (two keys + valet from the factory).
Old 03-08-2016, 04:22 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exactly

Why wouldn't this work: Get a new key cut from the dealer, open the car door, turn off parking brake, push the car out of the spot, install tow hook on the bumper, and use a regular car to strap tow it up and out of the garage and then put it on the tow truck. If the alarm is yelling, just disconnect the battery.
And you could probably just slim Jim the door open. Use manual method to open frunk, disconnect battery, tow hook and pull it out with tow strap and other car that will fit in the garage - could still be tricky - I've seen some pretty tight garages in London for example
Old 03-08-2016, 04:33 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hammerthrow
Lost my only 996 key. Why do I only have one? That's all I got when I bought the car and I was too complacent to get another made. Anyhow, only key is gone.

Main problem is that the car is in an underground parking garage, wedged into a parallel parking spot at such an angle that it is going to be extremely hard to get out. One tow company couldn't even get their truck into the garage. Car is 7 levels underground.

Anyway, I know that I am going to pay a huge amount of money for the new keys, but can someone explain to me what's going to happen if nobody's tow truck can get in there to remove my car and actually get it to the dealer?

I know I can get a key cut using my vin number and ownership documents, but as I understand it, the car needs to be towed to a dealer to get the key programmed. If I am unable to somehow start the engine, it's looking like the car will not be leaving the garage.
I've never heard of any place that has seven floors or more of public parking. Which country is the car in?

Quick Reply: Very Bad Key Loss Situation