Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bought a 1999 996 6spd. The restoration begins...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:32 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Update

At autódromo Miguel E. Abed in Puebla, Mexico.

Getting some help on the track.

I took the car to the track. My car has Michelin pilot sport Cup tires and they are amazing on the track. I really acquired allot of respect for the 99 996 C2. Basically it's equally as fast as a new 2016 Mercedes A45 AMG which is currently the most powerful production 4 cyl turbo car with over 355 hp. We were competing all day and in the curves the 996 can catch up to the A45 even though the A45 has a slight straight line speed advantage. Overall the 996 is faster on the track.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 10-24-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^^
Great to hear. I'm looking forward to getting my 996 on the track.

Mike
Old 10-24-2016, 11:26 PM
DinoSC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the track in Puebla or Mexico City? In both cases the 2 cities being above 2000m or 6000 ft in terms of elevation, the AMG has a big advantage being supercharged against the NA 996 ... you would have probably matched his acceleration at sea level.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DinoSC
Was the track in Puebla or Mexico City? In both cases the 2 cities being above 2000m or 6000 ft in terms of elevation, the AMG has a big advantage being supercharged against the NA 996 ... you would have probably matched his acceleration at sea level.

The track is in Puebla. It's an FIA category track. A little more on the track here.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autó...Miguel_E._Abed
Old 10-26-2016, 03:29 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could it be that your car was brought in to the US from Germany by an American GI?
It could have been produced late in the European 98 production line and bought then by this US Military member, who brought the car to the US when posted back, whenever that was.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:51 PM
996inTX
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude, while I'm enjoying reading your thread here, I'm anxious to see more pics of your girlfriend. :-)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoSC
Turbocharded....
Old 10-27-2016, 02:33 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996inTX
Dude, while I'm enjoying reading your thread here, I'm anxious to see more pics of your girlfriend. :-)
LOL you can see her on TV every morning if you know what channel to tune into.

Originally Posted by Vdubjetta02
Turbocharded....

You are correct. Turbo cars do great at altitude yet the power delivery from an NA car is also delicious on the track. They are both fun. For me its more about the feel than the acceleration. The 996 carrera is a very fun, well balanced and fast car.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:55 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Well, My engine is getting a second rebuild thanks to spinning a rod bearing at the track. This time im installing the Torque Biased Diff and doing the Gundo Hack as well as installing the new Benys Ball Bearing short shifter and new motor mounts. The car should be almost immaculate after this.

Heres a pic a day before it spun a bearing.

a pic with my girl again

Back to the shop. But she will come out better than before.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 12-23-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:39 PM
GTsilber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Well after looking everywhere for an affordable set of G50 flanges I have not been able to find a set to install the TBD I bought for my car. Other than that I had a few suspension pieces changed.

I can't believe how sensitive a 911 is to suspensión components. Changed a single drop link on the front and the car handled much better, now I'll be changing all of them. I also installed Michelin pilot sport Cup tires I got at a discount and the car sticks to the road very well. I'll be taking it on my first track day this Monday.

I'll be putting in Motul 8100 xcess oil in it soon or if I can Joe Gibbs dt40. The car has a new LTH battery. Next mods will be Osram Cool Blue Intense Xenarc HID bulbs for my litronics that should arrive today or tomorrow and new speakers and then maybe a head unit. Also I want to find a way to permanently fix the broken sun visors I have.

Thats all for now. I get complimented on the car allot since it looks pristine. The driver side seat will also be repaired since the bottom leather seam came off but generally the car looks great.

At a local car wash.

After waxing last week with Meguires ultimate wax.

Great looking car! How much does a full detail cost in MC?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

You bought this car for very little money, IIRC. But now you're having the engine rebuilt a second time? I know you have a friend with a shop but does he do all this work for free?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:57 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTsilber
Great looking car! How much does a full detail cost in MC?
I have our office chauffeurs detail the car and clean it if I take it there. I give them the wax and the leather cleaner and conditioner, plus all the other supplies. The car was polished at a body shop. But a high end detail with swirl removal and carpet extraction with a pressure steamer and all the other proceses is around 4,000 to 5,000 PESOS which is about 200 to 250 Dollars.

Originally Posted by Woodman71
You bought this car for very little money, IIRC. But now you're having the engine rebuilt a second time? I know you have a friend with a shop but does he do all this work for free?
Rebuilding a second time because I spun a rod bearing on the track incorrectly downshifting, not because the first rebuild was bad. Yes labor is cheap in Mexico and even cheaper if one of your best friends owns a shop and is a Porsche enthusiast and race mechanic. I help him with some things he helps me with others.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:27 AM
996inTX
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Well, My engine is getting a second rebuild thanks to spinning a rod bearing at the track. This time im installing the Torque Biased Diff and doing the Gundo Hack as well as installing the new Benys Ball Bearing short shifter and new motor mounts. The car should be almost immaculate after this.

Heres a pic a day before it spun a bearing.

a pic with my girl again

Back to the shop. But she will come out better than before.
Thanks! ;-)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:36 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fun thread to read! Good luck with the car.

Devil's advocate that I am, wouldn't it have been cheaper in the long run to get a lower miles, newer 996?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
Fun thread to read! Good luck with the car.

Devil's advocate that I am, wouldn't it have been cheaper in the long run to get a lower miles, newer 996?

I guess if you looked at my car today you would never think it has the miles it has. Aesthetically it looks great inside and out. Mechanically its also in amazing shape. For the money I spent I ended up with a great car. All in all Ive payed less than 14k for what I have, including the new cylinder sleeves, the LSD (TBD) and all the other upgrades Ive done to it like Litronics and dectane tailights etc. Labor is so cheap where I restored it that it was worth while to do it this way. Cheap doesn't mean bad. The motor rebuild was excellent and all the other restoration details I supervised. Basically this is the way restoration shops make money.

Ive even considered doing it again with another 996 with more options to my liking like a factory LSD and certain interior and exterior colors. I think I could probably do it even cheaper with the experience I acquired.

These cars are great. The driving feel, the looks when they are clean, the sound and performance when they are in working order are an amazing value. Its still a 911, and I doubt if I ever decide to sell it ill lose money and probably at least recuperate what it cost me. The pleasure I derive from the car is amazing on all fronts for the money Ive spent.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 01-09-2021 at 01:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought a 1999 996 6spd. The restoration begins...