Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bought a 1999 996 6spd. The restoration begins...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:36 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Bought a 1999 996 6spd. The restoration begins...

Hello,

Ive been lurking in these forums for some time now researching my purchase of a fun drivers car, the 6spd 996 Carrera. I had a certain budget I wanted do to spend and after months of searching I found a car I liked at the price point I was looking to spend.

The car had issues. A cyl 1 misfire. I spoke to the person selling the car and was told it was drivable. I hoped it was only the coil packs since I was told they werent changed, settled on a price, and prepared for the worst case scenario of replacing or rebuilding the engine. Since we have a shop I planned to rebuild the motor or replace the motor at our shop and the cost would be much lower. I ended up with a well taken care off 1999 Arctic Silver Metallic 996 Carrera 6spd with 162,000 miles and very few options but something I could make mine without spending much money.

The car when I picked it up in California.

First sight when I picked her up.

After analizing the car I saw several things that I would change in a short time. After making sure all engine work is done and interior and suspension are in check Its getting litronic headlights, smoked side markers and depo tail lights, Short shift kit and a performance exhaust system and REVO performace software. The car already had a VF engineering intake system.

The seats will be redyed and the car completely detailed to my level of OCD.

I want the car looking like new. Be a very enjoyable drivers car and be affordable.

After my initial drive in the car the misfire was evident. I parked the car nearby to take it to a shop to have the coil packs checked the next day in hope that would fix the problem.

I washed the car the next day and then took the car to 9elf Motorsports http://www.9elfms.com/ in Sonoma County, Ca. I Cant say enough good things about Michael. He is a former Porsche mechanic and RUF Mechanic from europe who opened his shop in California years ago and is very knowledgeable. He builds race porsches and was currently building a beautiful 3.8 air coooled beast. He checked the codes on the car and the only code present was a cyl 1 misfire. The coil packs were checked and the spark plug on cyl one was removed and cleaned. The spark plug was full of black carbon. We changed the coil pack and installed the spark plug and the car drove great! for 20 minutes.

There was no intermix but the next step was to do a leak down test to check if the cylinder was cracked or it had a leaking head gasket. Either way the engine would have to be taken appart. My goal was to drive it to Texas and then take the engine appart at the shop.

My new 911 on the lift at 9elf Motorsports in Sonoma County California.

The car was consuming coolant although there was no intermix present. With the car completely cooled we loaded it up with coolant and I drove 7 hours to LA without a problem. The car stayed within operating tempature the whole way although the misfire was still present.

In front of 9elf Motorsports after I waxed the car while it was cooling off in order to put coolant in it.

After arriving in LA I checked and the car had consumed coolant. The car drove great. I noticed some smaller issues Ill also be fixing. The passenger window doesnt fully go down, the rear view mirror is a little lose. Now Im preparing for my drive to Texas. I did some research and I decided to try some temporary fixes to get to Texas without a problem. If I mention them here people will probably be shocked but my objective is to have the car at my shop so we can proceed with the engine rebuild and all the other things i want to do to the car.

The car now has fresh coolant in it and the temporary fixes have been implemented and is driving fine. Its ready to head to Texas.

Ill keep updating this thread with the complete restoration process.

My first stop for gas on my way down to LA. The drive had some amazing views.

The car finally parked in Beverly Hills. This car when clean still looks the part in LA.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Harry_sz (01-13-2022)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:44 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

congrats. and have a safe trip back to TX and best of luck with the "rebirth" of your car
Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks like a nice one.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice writeup.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,469 Likes on 2,727 Posts

enjoy the drive home!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:27 PM
dcamco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Looks like a fun project. Where in Texas is your final destination?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:54 PM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome project...if you want to be cool...fill us in on the pricing details..

Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:41 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Good luck on the drive. Looking forward to hearing more about your project.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Trimsarctic996
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Moe, you picked the best year and color Good luck on your drive home.
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (05-17-2021)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good looking car. Looking forward to following your project.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. I'm in exactly same boat as you with mine. Restoring everything I can, so much fun working on this car.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:10 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Still my favorite set of wheels all time. They look good on the 996 and 993. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Well, I made it to El Paso, Tx! Basically the routine would be filling up the coolant every 4 to 5 hours. I bought some 50/50 mix and besides the fact the engine didn't have full power it drove smoothly with the cruise control on even at 80+ miles an hour. Can't wait to have the engine fixed so I can step on it hard.

At a gas station in New Mexico. A beautiful design. Simple elegant and sporty.

Stopped to add coolant somewhere in the Arizona Dessert.

Cleaning the bugs off at an Auto Zone in El Paso.

I tried to have the cars rear high on slopes when ever possible when adding coolant.

I got complemented on the car 3 times on the drive down. A guy in a parking lot said "hey I'll trade you! That's a sweet car!" Then he asked to see the engine and told me how he had never seen a car with an engine in the back.

A lady at a fast food restaurant said. "What kind of car is that? It's beautifull". I'm still surprised how a clean 99 996 still has that impact on people.

Lastly I got a compliment at another gas station in Texas. Guy stopped while I was taking out some coolant containers from the frunk and said "wow! Where's the engine! That's a cool car!"

The car is growing on me. Definetly happy with the purchase. I'm a little obsessive with clean cars so i clean it with some quick Detailer after long drives. Looks spotless most of the time. Really makes the car stand out.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-30-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:28 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
Awesome project...if you want to be cool...fill us in on the pricing details..

Looks like a lot of fun.
Soon I'll give pricing details. After next week when the Engine is pulled and fixed I'm going to do a full write up with pictures of the engine fix/ restoration with costs of the whole project.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

For starters the option codes sticker was ripped off so I got the cars Vin decoded by Suncoast Porsche. Here's what they sent me. Can anyone comment on what actual options should go on the option code sticker?

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-30-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought a 1999 996 6spd. The restoration begins...