Sponsored by:

ABS/PSM warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ABS/PSM warning lights

I have a 2002 996 cabriolet .Recently the ABS/PSM warning lights have been coming on .I have a Durametric tester ordered so I will find out what the concern is.But I was curious the lights come on whenever I hit the brakes ,brake lights work good and I replaced the stop light switch with a porsche part no change .Any one have an idea what is causing this? Its obviously related to the brake light in put .Just curious .Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 09:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

abs/wheel speed sensor or the hub that it reads it from would be my guess. Did you run over anything or have any suspension work done recently?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:59 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

No collision of any type, it first came on driving on fwy about 65 mph .I wasn't braking just cruising,over the next couple weeks it happened more often until when ever I hit the brakes the ABS/PSM lights come on .I replaced the stop light switch ,cleaned the MAF no change.I bought the Durametric and should get it tomorow then I can test and monitor the data.I would think if it was a speed sensor the vehicle would have to be moving at least 10-20 mph but this does it while stationary I hope its not the module or the hydraulic unit.I got this car last october and the only things I have done are brakes and oil changes so I will repair it when I diagnose it.I see MAF and stop light switches are common so I tried those .I will post the results .Other than this I love the car .Thanks for your input.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:22 AM
02Z06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess you're sure you replaced the right switch when you did the brake light switch. My car was doing the same thing. I pulled the switch took it apart and cleaned it. When I was re-installing I realized I had been working on the clutch switch. They look identical and are only a few inches apart...
Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,677 Likes on 926 Posts

Was your wife or girlfriend in the car with you driving at those speeds? Did she begin to nag repeatedly about being unconfortable or annoyed by the loud exhaust or claiming she will throw up if you don't slow down???

The 2002 was the first year for the mk2 version of the 996 and through research we have found that the car starts to suffer from SAD or "social anxiety disorder". This disorder also leads to alexia when may be the reason the car triggered the PSM light when it thought it was triggering the PMS light (which really doesn't exist). The best thing to do, is take it home and wash and polish it... even vacuum it out. They love vacuums because the constant sound helps to calm their anxiety and promote dopamine. Do this weekly and you'll thank me!

Cheers!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue trouble shot the abs sensors and everything and the problem ended up being the Break Pedal Switch, replaced it with a new one P/N 99661311302 and the problem went away and never returned.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:47 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Nope I am single no PMS b s here ,if girlfriend gets cranky I give her a time out.When PMS strikes there are no warning lights,just the famous "If you don't know why I'm mad ,I'm not going to tell you!"lol. B3freak appreciate the humour,I needed it. Its been a long day .

I just got my Durametric stuff five minutes ago going to get it set up and see what I find.I also took the stop lite switch apart before replacing it ,very simple switch .Thanks for the reply .I will post what I find .

Last edited by yaknart33; 07-14-2016 at 11:54 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 07-15-2016, 12:29 AM
yaknart33
Advanced

Nope I am single no PMS b s here ,if girlfriend gets cranky I give her a time out.When PMS strikes there are no warning lights,just the famous "If you don't know why I'm mad ,I'm not going to tell you!"lol.

I just got my Durametric stuff five minutes ago going to get it set up and see what I find.I also took the stop lite switch apart before replacing it ,very simple switch .Thanks for the reply .I will post what I find .
Old 07-15-2016, 12:57 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I still bet it is the brake switch. If not, replace the MAF (I think cleaning the MAF rarely works).
Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Not to be facetious, but have you checked your tire pressures? Don't laugh. When I was driving back to StL from Chattanooga and was about an hour into the trip and WHAM! ABS and PSM lights pop along with the OBC warning. Grabbing my chest to say the least since I just bought the car. Anyway, stopped for gas checked the tire pressures - rears were 10# low and fronts were 5# low. Some have said that is the "comfort" pressures. Porsches early TPMS system, LOL.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I still bet it is the brake switch. If not, replace the MAF (I think cleaning the MAF rarely works).

I had the same symptoms......... would happen if I accelerated abruptly at highway speeds.

Pulled the codes, replaced the MAF......... problem gone.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions ,I am setting up my Durametric program now .I use a digital tire pressure guage ,tire pressures are within one pound of specs.I know the MAF can cause a concern because its basically a load sensor .I can start the car hit the brake pedal immediately and the warning lights come on.Brake lights work ,all bulbs good.I am a retired senior master in diesel and gas from domestic car company.With over thirty years dealer experience ,so I understand the elect noise ,loads etc.I should have this tested today ,if my rottweiler lets me.She likes to help but won't fit in this car.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:46 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

I ran a test using the Durametric and got two codes that when cleared came right back after road testing . P0571,4340 ,both stop light circuit codes.I tested the switch ,a new one I just installed ,and it operated normally.That tells me I have a wiring concern or possibly a module concern.I will test the harness this week and post what I found ,maybe it will help others.I always hate to replace stuff without verifying its operation like I did with the stop light switch.I kept the old one also.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

You can do some measurements on the switch end with it installed but unplugged:
When brake is NOT pressed:
- pin 1 and pin 4 should have continuity
- pin 1 and pin 2 should be OPEN

When brake is pressed:
- pin 1 and pin 4 should be OPEN
- pin 1 and pin 2 should have continuity

If the above check out, the switch is good and your problem is likely in the two wires between the switch and the PSM/ABS module.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
You can do some measurements on the switch end with it installed but unplugged:
When brake is NOT pressed:
- pin 1 and pin 4 should have continuity
- pin 1 and pin 2 should be OPEN

When brake is pressed:
- pin 1 and pin 4 should be OPEN
- pin 1 and pin 2 should have continuity

If the above check out, the switch is good and your problem is likely in the two wires between the switch and the PSM/ABS module.
How do you have all this knowledge?!

I'm continuously amazed about the depth of knowledge you have about these cars. Wow. Thank god you're lurking in this forum. Helpful for all members here.

Quick Reply: ABS/PSM warning lights