Sponsored by:

Headlights on when switch is "off"

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:52 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DBJoe -
So, you're pretty sure its the wiring to/from the turn signal/dimmer switch/stalk and not the light switch ("low beam switch") that has to be investigated - to detach the yellow/white wire and reconnect to the white/black wire, if necessary? I don't want to tear into the wrong switch because the labels are potentially misrepresented.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:06 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 708 Posts

My confidence level is 99% that the cars manufactured OE to Canada and European countries that require the DRL's have the Yellow/White wire connecting to A9. That being said, for USA/ROW cars retrofitted to DRL's there are various schemes to get there.

A simple test would be for someone with the OE DRL's wired up to check and see if the Yellow/White wire has constant 12V when the ignition is on. I cannot do that with my USA car w/o DRL's.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danielcooper9
If I'm following this correctly, I could by this relay for a US car and have daytime running lights? I have never understood why drl's are mandatory. In my opinion, the additional safety factor is worth replacing bulbs that wear out.
Why would you want to disable your DRLs?
DRLs are mandatory in Canada for a very valid reason: They save lives because you can be seen by other drivers at much farther distance, especially on 2-lane roads, where this car truly belongs.
It allows you to make a life-saving decision as to whether you have oncoming traffic if you have in mind to overtake, especially in low-light situation such as seen in rainy or winter days.
Compared to saving a live or more, trying to save a bulbs's life is a moot or rather insignificant point.
Ask motorcycle riders!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:19 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Martin ^^^^, why would you want to turn your DRL's off?? Maybe you guys thinks DRL's are some kind of left-wing hippy conspiracy thing or something LOL!!

BTW we also make motorcycle riders wear helmets, because we're not retarded!!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate the safety comments. I simply want control over my car's headlights, that's all. I have a cabriolet and drive it in good weather mostly anyways - when you don't really need lights (my U.S. spec 996 was in Canada the last 7 years, had the DRL hardwire option implemented while there, now it's back in the U.S.). Since it's not a Canada spec car, it probably doesn't have a yellow/white wire connected to A9 or any other fuse. Probably some other color wire. However, I believe there's a patch somewhere.

So I went into the wire bundle next to the fuse box looking for an obvious patch, i.e. one with black electrical tape and a splice. I found two such patches, thinking one of them had to be the culprit. I disconnected each one in succession and keyed the ignition to see if the low beams would come on with the engine. In each case, no change, the low beams still come on with the engine ignition. I re-soldered the connections and buttoned it back up; have no idea what the patches - put in since new - were for.

So, still looking for a solution to the mystery of 'DRLs always on...'

Quick Reply: Headlights on when switch is "off"