Sponsored by:

Defrost always on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Defrost always on?

So with a/c on, set to dash, its still,blowing out the defrost as well, which causes the windshield to fog. What would cause this? I know of other cars, the controld are vacuum controlled. Same here?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

The diverter plate in the dash is supposed to be covered with a thin foam. Over time/temp/humidity the foam breaks down and blows out of the vents (perhaps you've noticed this). In anycase, once the foam is gone, the plate has big holes in it so the air diversion is greatly compromised (allowing moist and dry air to blend together)... This is most likely what you're experiencing. If you can get in there and cover up the holes with some aluminum tape or something similar you'll probably be ok...
Old 08-17-2016, 10:40 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

I have noticed bits of disintegrated foam blowing out on occasion. Where is it accessed from to patch up the holes?
Old 08-19-2016, 02:40 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
So with a/c on, set to dash, its still,blowing out the defrost as well, which causes the windshield to fog. What would cause this? I know of other cars, the controld are vacuum controlled. Same here?
Assuming HOT and high humidity day wherein condensate forms on the exterior windshield surface.

DANGEROUS in the evening, late evening, when it might be mistaken for fog... Only had it happen a few times, Florida and Alabama.

Once the cabin climate as monitored by the IAT approaches the temperature the 996 climate control system switches to all outflow ducts open.

According to the factory this is done to avoid the discomfort of having MASSIVE cool airflow to your face and upper body from only the dash ducts. method of dispersing the airflow throughout the system.

Best procedure to prevent "CHILLING" of the windsheild is to select and then deselect the windshield defrost/defog/demist airflow mode.

The method I have arrived at is to set the system to max cooling and recirculate, then use the blower speed manually to control cabin comfort level. Slightly increases MPG and removes condenser heat load to the radiators.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwest
Assuming HOT and high humidity day wherein condensate forms on the exterior windshield surface.
this is exactly what is happening, and i am in florida.
i do not use the automatic temp control, i set it to a temp, and do the manual fan control. i have tried switching on and off the, upper, middle, and lower controls, but it seems to end with the same condensed windshield. is there a fix? or is it really "broken"? either way, i wish i could stop it from happening
Old 08-20-2016, 05:05 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If turning the defrost/defog/demist outlet "on" and then "OFF" doesn't block system airflow to the windshield you likely have some sort of failure.

The immediate answer is lay something, towel, magazines, etc, over the outlets.

NOTE: If the OAT and RH are both extremely high the COOL cabin atmosphere might result in this effect.

Quick Reply: Defrost always on?