996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installed fan on wing - not comming on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Installed fan on wing - not comming on?

Installed wing fan and connected wire plug- is their a switch or automatically on??
Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

Automatically turns on when the engine bay reaches a certain temperature.

Can't remember what temperature but go for a drive on a hot day when you come back it will be on if it works.

If you're not sure connect a 12v battery to it. It's polarity neutral (can't mess up positive and negative) if you do the fan will just spin the other way.

There was a TSB about that
Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

Correct. You can test the fan function by just hooking up a jumper to it. The engine bay temperature sensor that turns on the fan resides on the right side of the engine nestled between the intake runners. Most report that the engine bay fan very rarely runs. I know mine has on very hot days in traffic, but other than that most of the time it does not. And most of the time, if the fan is running constantly, it is because the sensor has slipped out of the rubber grommet that holds it in the bracket and it is laying against the engine. Soap it up and push it back onto the bracket.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a description of the engine bay fan operation from the "Porsche 996 Essential Companion".

Old 08-19-2016, 11:48 AM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Correct. You can test the fan function by just hooking up a jumper to it. The engine bay temperature sensor that turns on the fan resides on the right side of the engine nestled between the intake runners. Most report that the engine bay fan very rarely runs. I know mine has on very hot days in traffic, but other than that most of the time it does not. And most of the time, if the fan is running constantly, it is because the sensor has slipped out of the rubber grommet that holds it in the bracket and it is laying against the engine. Soap it up and push it back onto the bracket.
I will look for sensor - my radiator fans came on - just hope it would come on to evacuate heat in engine compartment

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 AM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I should test the sensor - heat gun to see if it switches the fan on - is it tough to get to?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock
I should test the sensor - heat gun to see if it switches the fan on - is it tough to get to?

No, you can see it sitting above the intake runner on the passenger side looking at the top of the motor. It will have a modular lead coming from it.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:00 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spinout
No, you can see it sitting above the intake runner on the passenger side looking at the top of the motor. It will have a modular lead coming from it.
found it - thanks -

Quick Reply: Installed fan on wing - not comming on?