996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Group Buy FF tmount inserts feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dunno, buying some black "track" inserts, then complaining about nvh is a lot like the girl that wears a short skirt and complaining on all the boys looking at her IMO.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"I didn't realize that old men had such good hearing until I started hanging out on rennlist "

Hahahaha! Touche'! My hearing is pretty good (down a little bit above 10k, but that's fairly normal for someone who's been playing rock&roll for 35 yrs...) BTW, NVH isn't just sound - you can clearly feel what you couldn't before installing the inserts.

"Dunno, buying some black "track" inserts, then complaining about nvh is a lot like the girl that wears a short skirt and complaining on all the boys looking at her IMO."

If it's my post you're talking about, it's not a complaint - just trying to keep it real. I actually kind of like the "connectedness" you get with the (black) inserts (through the NVH). I've put close to 2000mi. on it since doing the inserts, so I don't think it's going to mellow out much more...

Last edited by dporto; 09-08-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:19 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by dporto
If it's my post you're talking about, it's not a complaint - just trying to keep it real.
No it was to the other fella.

There's a certain flavor of "enthusiasts" these days that are really changing the way manufacturers engineer/tune/equip their cars these days. That's all I'll say.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:33 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=dporto;I've put close to 2000mi. on it since doing the inserts, so I don't think it's going to mellow out much more...[/QUOTE]

dporto: If you had to do it again, would you buy a softer version on account of the NVH you are experiencing at steady-state, which I assume you have reached acc. to your statement above?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Not complaining, just pointing it out

I'm used to upgraded drivetrain mounts, and this is by far the biggest increase in NVH I've experienced from a single upgrade. I'm very happy with it, but in hind-sight, the "sport" stiffness would probably have been the more appropriate choice in conjunction with the upgraded motor mounts. I'd be curious to see if it has the same effect with oem motor mounts, but those didn't survive the removal process.

There will be plenty of time for cushy quiet cars when I'm old. In the meantime, this added some of the 'raw' back into the experience, and makes it feel more like a sports car than a GT.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:53 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Arch1t3ct
I'm very happy with it, but in hind-sight, the "sport" stiffness would probably have been the more appropriate choice in conjunction with the upgraded motor mounts

There will be plenty of time for cushy quiet cars when I'm old. In the meantime, this added some of the 'raw' back into the experience, and makes it feel more like a sports car than a GT.

Yeah I was wondering why you went with the black "track" inserts in the first place. Seemed a bit overkill IMO unless you are Slakker and have a dedicated track car.

Luckily if you still have your Porsche when you get old, you can always throw the stock mounts back on, along with the touring suspension, supple leather powered/heated seats, 17" wheels with Uniroyal ultimate comfort tires, radio with the big buttons, 85w LED headlight upgrades, bigger shift **** for your arthritis, etc.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

That's the way I see it! It's easy to swap out should I feel the need to go to anything more reasonable, and I have no plans to get rid of this car anytime soon.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
dporto: If you had to do it again, would you buy a softer version on account of the NVH you are experiencing at steady-state, which I assume you have reached acc. to your statement above?
You know, I've thought about it quite a bit, and No, I'd definitely get the "blacks" again. That being said, when I first put them in, it was almost shocking when I pulled the car out of the garage and drove away... I actually thought for a second that I might have messed something up and went through a mental checklist of all my steps while putting it back together.
**I actually started a thread back in the spring when I did the install pretty much stating what I said above^^^
Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 AM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I finally got around to putting in my orange inserts. 2004 C4S, 96K and change on the odo. I've recently put new stock motor mounts in as well. While in there, I cleaned up and painted some parts of the lower transmission carrier that were starting to rust. I replaced most of the plastic nuts with some cheap self threading metal ones from Ace. Several of the plastic ones were broken or the threads were stripped. My car must have spent some time on the east coast as the studs are rusty.

The instructions included were very straightforward and well written. Even with the orange I noticed immediately a tad more mechanical feel to the shifting and a bit more NVH, especially above 3k on the tach. Feels great! For my car and how I use it, very happy with the bushings I chose. Looking forward to the shift right solution coming and getting that installed.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:02 PM
alpine003
Banned

You cheated by using a lift.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine003
You cheated by using a lift.
I was gonna say, that'd have taken my two hour job to a half-hour, haha.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks dporto for your reply and jhynes... for your excellent pictorial.
Looks like orange might be more my inclination, especially if paired with semi-solid motor mounts.
Much appreciated!
Martin
Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 PM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I was gonna say, that'd have taken my two hour job to a half-hour, haha.
If it makes you feel better, it was still a two hour job for me!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, now I want them, too...oh, and a lift...definitely a lift. Does anyone know if there's a major difference in NVH between the orange (soft) and yellow (sport) inserts?

I'm leaning towards orange since I'm thinking that, with the yelllow, I'd get the downside of the additional NVH without any noticeable improvement in performance over the orange since 90% of my time behind the wheel is spent commuting back and forth to work or out for routine weekend stuff. The other 10% is spent on weekend drives on backroads and maybe, if I can find the time, an autocross or something similar (not very competitive, obviously). So, in other words, no track time.

-Eric
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Damn, now I want them, too...oh, and a lift...definitely a lift. Does anyone know if there's a major difference in NVH between the orange (soft) and yellow (sport) inserts?
FF can certainly chime in here but I believe the orange ones were made after the initial batch of the yellow based on feedback from the pansies out there for a more comfortable solution.

Quick Reply: Group Buy FF tmount inserts feedback