Spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:46 PM
aremark1984
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire?

Hi!

Will a 996 carrera or boxster spare tire fit my 2001 996 turbo? Oem part number 99636213001.. Turbo has Oem 99636215000
Old 09-04-2016, 06:21 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In the trunk or on the car? It should fit but I'd try one to be sure...and on front and rear wheels with test drives to be sure. Also see how it fits in the trunk...it will surely cost you some space but you've got the famous 911 back seat for luggage.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:19 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store my spare in the garage to save luggage space.
I added tow service in my ensurance policy so If I get a flat tire then I just call and sit in my car and wait for help to arrive...
Let's say it's your rear tire, will you have room inside the car to store it?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
In the trunk or on the car? It should fit but I'd try one to be sure...and on front and rear wheels with test drives to be sure. Also see how it fits in the trunk...it will surely cost you some space but you've got the famous 911 back seat for luggage.
If I'm not mistaken, Porsche doesn't recommend using the compact spare for a rear flat tire. The recommendation is to place the compact spare in the front and to move a front wheel/tire to the rear position. It has been a while since I last read the 996 owner's manual, so I may be remembering that incorrectly. My 996 was a C4S, which has the same wheel configuration as the turbo. I'm not sure if this applies to narrow body cars.

Wide body cars came from the factory with an inflatable spare tire and a 12V compressor. The inflatable spare is stored in the bonnet, underneath a floor panel. I don't think a regular compact spare tire would fit there, so it would simply fill up the luggage storage space.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Dennis is correct ^^^^
Old 09-05-2019, 12:14 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
If I'm not mistaken, Porsche doesn't recommend using the compact spare for a rear flat tire. The recommendation is to place the compact spare in the front and to move a front wheel/tire to the rear position. It has been a while since I last read the 996 owner's manual, so I may be remembering that incorrectly. My 996 was a C4S, which has the same wheel configuration as the turbo. I'm not sure if this applies to narrow body cars.

Wide body cars came from the factory with an inflatable spare tire and a 12V compressor. The inflatable spare is stored in the bonnet, underneath a floor panel. I don't think a regular compact spare tire would fit there, so it would simply fill up the luggage storage space.
I just bought a 2000 C4 Cab and, as I posted in another thread when the same recommendation was previously mentioned, I checked the manual regarding using the collapsible emergency spare in the event of a flat. Nothing's mentioned in it about NOT using the spare on the rear or using the spare only on the front (and moving a front tire to the rear).

All that's mentioned is that if there are 5mm spacers in front, you should leave them there and if there are 17mm spacers in the back, you should remove them before installing the spare. Since I just bought the car, I currently have no idea what sized spacers, if any, are installed on the front/rear axles.

Complicating the matter is that the car came w/aftermarket 19" rims on it, which are not standard and apparrently not even recommended for use on a 996 so they may be using different sized spacers entirely.

Bottom line, until I have time to figure this stuff out, I'm just going to call AAA and ask for a flatbed truck to tow my C4 to the nearesr Porsche dealer or tire repair shop (depending on the day/time/location) to repair the flat.

LOL!

Quick Reply: Spare tire?