996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LN dual Row questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

See the post above from Porsche 951.That is all you need to do.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:23 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I have made a mistake. I thought the OP was already in there, with the bearing in hand. Seems to be in error.

Given that, I agree that using a mag oil drain plug, and a full flow oil filter, change oil regularly and leave it as is until such time there is need to go in.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
porsche admitted it was higher than that. they also got sued and lost. there's more truth to it than you'd like to admit.
Not on the 99's
Old 09-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

RRTEC said"Although I have since ordered new lifters while I have my engine out for other repairs" - in a 'ticking noise' thread elsewhere. We are getting half the story in garbled pieces.Oh ,and Seafoam fixed it !
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...6-ticking.html
Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
RRTEC said"Although I have since ordered new lifters while I have my engine out for other repairs" - in a 'ticking noise' thread elsewhere. We are getting half the story in garbled pieces.Oh ,and Seafoam fixed it !
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...6-ticking.html
I'm not really sure what you are getting at? I have a lot going on with my car. I pulled my engine due to intermix. Had the head rebuilt and am doing all other preventative maintenance while its apart.

That other thread is unrelated. Geez.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Originally Posted by docmirror
I have made a mistake. I thought the OP was already in there, with the bearing in hand. Seems to be in error.

Given that, I agree that using a mag oil drain plug, and a full flow oil filter, change oil regularly and leave it as is until such time there is need to go in.
I am already in there. My bearing is out...
Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

OK, then install the LN Solution(journal type) and be done with it. You are investing in other parts of the engine, and consider leaving the stock IMS time bomb in there?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:35 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Originally Posted by docmirror
OK, then install the LN Solution(journal type) and be done with it. You are investing in other parts of the engine, and consider leaving the stock IMS time bomb in there?
the stock IMS is out. All I really wanted is a stock replacement. It lasted 108k... If that isn't possible then I want a dual row for sure.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I understand the LN Double Row Solution is now available.
Now that would spell: Piece of mind!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:24 PM
llis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
It is all very clear on the LN site.
http://imsretrofit.com/gen-2-single-row-ims-retrofit/
Forget the older Single Row Pro. Focus like a laser on "Gen 2 "
It would help you if you identify which bearing is fitted to your car. Single or double? This is a sequential decision process.If you start in the middle without the basic info -it is useless.Unless we know if your car has a single or a double ,it is difficult to be specific.
To me, it's rather shocking that the problem got worse, not better, with each model year of the 996. I'm definitely getting my 04 into the LN solution ASAP.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The LN kit has a spirolock to hold the bearing but no other spacers etc. In my mind this will leave a small gap between the flange and the bearing..?
No, the bearing width is properly adjusted for the retention circlip.

Just install it, all those physical differences are a non- issue, and have 20,000+ installs under their belts.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RRTEC
the stock IMS is out. All I really wanted is a stock replacement. It lasted 108k... If that isn't possible then I want a dual row for sure.
I hate to keep perpetuating this thread, as it seems it has been answered, but WHY would you want to put another stock, proven poor design, back into your engine when there are other proven improved designs available? Your engine is already apart, you need to purchase some part, why not purchase the improved design?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by David 23
I hate to keep perpetuating this thread, as it seems it has been answered, but WHY would you want to put another stock, proven poor design, back into your engine when there are other proven improved designs available? Your engine is already apart, you need to purchase some part, why not purchase the improved design?
Also, there's no OE IMS Bearing... Not even a part number for one. Never has been.

The factory never intended for the bearing to be removed. That's what drove me to do it the first time.

Again, you have NO factory IMS Bearing option.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Originally Posted by David 23
the reason for the desire is my bearing is in good shape after 108k. Never been swapped. I like that service interval better than 50-75k miles...

I am buying the LN it seems, thanks all.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RRTEC
the reason for the desire is my bearing is in good shape after 108k. Never been swapped. I like that service interval better than 50-75k miles...

I am buying the LN it seems, thanks all.
The 75k service interval for the dual row bearing is just that. It doesn't mean the bearing will fail at 75k miles, but rather that it has reached the service life for the application based on operating hours.

The factor single row 6204 bearing with inverted race operation is only 1500 hours.

If you want to do this once, then install the IMS Solution and there are no more service intervals.

Quick Reply: LN dual Row questions