Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Oil Changes - Porsche Dealer or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:15 PM
James McGrath
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 996 Oil Changes - Porsche Dealer or Not?

Hey folks. I just got an oil change at my local Porsche dealership which cost $240 for the oil, oil filter and labor inclusive. Is that about right?

I'm a new Porsche owner, I own a 2002 911/966 C4 and I'm still learning about the dos and don'ts of maintenance.

Do I have to take my 911 into a Porsche dealership for oil changes or would taking it to a regular auto-shop be ok? Anyone have any strong opinions either way or experience with the latter? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:26 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

That doesn't sound unreasonable. The 996 takes full synthetic oil, and a lot of it! You'll save quite a bit doing it yourself though.

To answer your second question I would either take it to a dealer, or do it yourself using a high quality oil. If an indy shop is around that specializes in Porsches, that could work too but I'd talk to some local owners and get their input. There are countless threads on here about the right oil to use, and an even greater number of opinions.

From my reading everyone seems to agree that the 15k mile service interval is too long and recommend doing it every 5k miles.

It is recommended your replace the oil plug washer with each oil change - something I doubt any non dealer or Porsche shop would know and/or stock.

By the way, welcome to the site and the Porsche owners club!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 PM
James McGrath
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Charlieaf92, this is really helpful. I appreciate your response!! Cheers.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:50 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Changing oil is one of the easiest DIYs you can do

Depending On what oil you use, you are looking at $60 to $140 for oil and filter
Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Yes, it is a VERY easy DIY. But I have an indy that does it for $140 (gasp!!!... Mobil 1), so I don't have to mess with the waste oil. Worth the bit extra to me.

From what I have read, do it every 3K miles or so.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:38 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My local dealer has one tech who factory trained on the 996 when he was first starting. While I could get a better deal on an oil change, having him go over the car once a year or so also has value.

I also always use the dealer for state inspections. It costs the same as anywhere else, and a trained Porsche mechanic does an inspection of your car essentially for free. Good way to keep out in front of maintenance issues.

It is not always about saving a few bucks.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I service my car once a year and perform the yearly minor service myself and let my indy handle the major services.
I have actually just received all the items and will do it when time allows...

The owner's manual states the oil change quantity with filter is about 8.5 liters or about 9 qts. So I buy 10ltrs so I can top up when needed.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:26 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

It's really "worth" whatever it's worth to you. As others have said, depending on what type of oil and filter you use, the actual cost is about 1/3 - 1/2 that price. If you're willing and able to do the change yourself, you can put the difference back in your pocket. Based on the prices that the dealer near me charges ($180/hr. labor) it seems to be in line.
**Just remember that if you do take it to a shop to get your oil changed, you should be prepared to pay extra for stuff that just breaks while it's there...This may include but is not limited to: Window regulators, locking systems, stereo, power seats, windshield wipers, etc...etc...etc... Good Luck
Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 617 Likes on 302 Posts

I have been changing my own oil in my Porsches for 30 plus years and through many models my 996 is probably one of the easiest DIY oil changes I have ever done. Once a year or 5000 miles on synthetic oil factory filter and drain plug rings.
In contrast my 993 oil changes were the nightmare I always dreaded doing
My 1999 996 is at 184K miles no IMS replacement and no oil burn or smoke guess I live under a charmed star
Rich
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2016, 09:33 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 777 Likes on 497 Posts

I haven't, personally, done maintenance on my own cars for over 30 years. Always had someone else do it for me. Now retired and although getting old I did my own oil change, spin-on conversion and mag plug this spring. Easy! If you have the time and place to do it can be satisfying and you learn about the car as well. Not hard at all...and WELCOME!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can change your own oil it's not difficult, it just depends if you enjoy doing that type of stuff. I do. So I do it. Sometimes I do my own maintenance, sometimes I don't. $240 oil change from the dealer? Yes that was on the pricey side, but then again 9 quarts of synthetic, filter, my dealer charges $135 hour so... Indy shop might charge $160 total. Get used to the inflated prices, as I have mentioned many times on this forum, any year 911 is expensive to maintain.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:02 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,677 Likes on 926 Posts

James,

Most on Rennlist like to change their own oil and save lots of money, but there are two common oil camps: Mobil 1 and non-Mobil 1 hahaha!

or... even more detailed ex:

JoeGibbs DT40, LN spin on adapter, filter, magnetic drain plug and washer

or

Mobil 1 0W40, standard filter (i.e. Mahle, K&N, etc.), standard plug and washer

Things to remember:

1. Most recommend changing it at least once a year or even twice (early spring/ early fall) - 5000 miles or under

2. It's a good idea to replace the drain plug AND washer as well as the filter rubber O-ring

3. If you have the standard filter, cut it apart and examine it for metal or plastic containments

4. Do NOT over torque the plug

5. If you have excessive containments in the filter, then drop the pan for further analysis.

6. DON'T overfill the car with oil. Normally 9 qts is enough, but still examine the dip stick because residual oil could still be in the system and not completely drained out.

7. Some recommend driving the car to warm the oil before changing it, but always allow plenty of time for the car to completely drain.

8. Use appropriate (safe) jack stands to get the car at the right height and as level as possible when draining.

Changing the oil regularly at appropriate times with the right oil, is one of the most important PM things you can do for your 996. I personally can buy 10 qts of Mobil 1 for under $50 and then another $20 for the filter, washer, and plug. And so, now you can see the profit margin. Cheers!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 09-23-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:58 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 777 Likes on 497 Posts

B3: You change the drain plug every time you do an oil change???
Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concur with all the comments above. You really should change your own oil at least once, so you can see what's on the underside of your car. That way, you can follow along better on threads you'll be reading here.

WildBilly kinda hinted at it, but most of us have gone to a magnetic drain plug. Helps to find/hold any of the dreaded chunks so you can take corrective action. Note that the torque value for the mag plugs is lower than the stock plug - around 19 vs 30 ft lbs. They will strip if you over do it.

Another somewhat valid point is that depending on where you live, most folks recommend 6 months regardless of mileage, especially if yours is a hobby car that might only accumulate 2000 miles or so between changes. Acid forms due to condensation and blow-by if you don't drive it hard and regularly enough. Frequent oil changes are the best PM you can do for these motors. Probably more important than the oil you choose.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:07 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,677 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
B3: You change the drain plug every time you do an oil change???
Absolutely! It comes with the filter package anyway and so why not?

Quick Reply: 996 Oil Changes - Porsche Dealer or Not?