Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you relocate the a/c controls and take it out?

Old 11-01-2003, 02:16 PM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you relocate the a/c controls and take it out?

can anyone guide me to a diy on how to take out the a/c controls and radio? i'm going to attempt the install of the pcm1 I bought today but don't wanna rip apart the car. i do'nt have the radio keys (install keys) and was wondering if there was a way to do it without them.

thanks!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 05:25 PM
netrophile
Track Day

I assume you have a 1999 car from your signature. You can take out the radio without the Becker Keys if you remove the central vent dash piece. If you have the 3 piece type, unclip the 2 side pieces using a butter knife to prise them off. They are just clipped on. Unplug the switches behind the central door locking button, cigarette lighter etc. There is a small light bulb above the cigarette lighter which pulls off the lighter chamber. Take off (prise) the small black square that surround the air-con box. It is held in place at the sides by two push in bits of plastic. You will see 4 screws (phillips head).
Unscrew these plus the torx ones you can see on the sides and pull out the vent by rocking it slowly.
The air-con box and radio will also come out. Pull gently enough to see the connections at the back. The Becker ones simply pull out of the radio/cd player.
The aircon ones have a small tab on the top of them which needs to be pushed down before the pull out. If memory serves me, I think there are 4 plugs holding the box. You will be surprised at how light the air con box is!
The radio can only be removed by pushing in the side clips as you look at it from behind and gently pushing it forwards through the vent. Do this indoors on a carpeted floor!
A word of caution before you proceed. This central vent will not fit a PCM module. You need a separate one for MY099 cars without the central bar.
Also, PCM will not retrofit easily (although I think one person on this forum may have done it a few months back!) unless you have a MOST wiring system. If you have covered these angles already let me know how!
Good luck with the install.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:51 AM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks so much for the information. I have two more questions before I proceed tonight or tomorrow.

Do i need the security code for the pcm in order to have it worK? i'm curious because I don't want to instlal something without the code. Id o'nt have the code. will the dealership give it to me? if I take out my old stereo and put it back in will i need a code? Id o'nt have the code for my old stereo either... or is there just no code?

Las question, what is the MOST wiring system and why do i need to get a new center plastic panel? can't i just break out the center part and then won't it fit in there? are the dimensions different or something?

THANKS SOO SOO SOO MUCH NETROPHILE.

I didn't end up trying it today because I put in my b&m short shifter in today. it took about 40 minutes and i took pictures for a write up.

THANKS AGAIN NETROPHILE. I would really appreciate your help on the other questions.

Regards,'

PARKMAN
Old 11-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are Boxster pictures, but it is the same for a 996. The first shows the cross bar for the normal radio. The second is for PCM and does not have a cross bar.

MOST started in 2003 and has nothing to do with a 1999 or PCM1.

You need a code for your old radio and for PCM1. 2003/4 does not have a code.

Porsche never sold a PCM1 retrofit kit for a reason.

PCM2 retrofit on a 2003/4 can be done. Two people here, 2003 996 and Cayenne owners, had it done. But this has nothing to do with what you are trying to do. Jeff

Old 11-02-2003, 08:16 AM
netrophile
Track Day

In answer to your questions:
1. I don't know if breaking out the centre piece of the horseshoe will mean that the PCM module will fit. Once you have it out, then maybe you can look and measure. I'm always very careful with my interior trim swaps and try not to do anything irrevrsible if at all possible. However, if you do this and it does't work, then buying a new horseshoe will probably be fairly inexpensive (I bought a burr wood one for about $200 brand new via e-bay).
2. You will need codes for both PCM and your radio if you disconnect the power when you take it out. This will be a problem as you will have to see your dealer who will have to get it for you. It is a chargeable service here in the UK.
PCM is more complex. There was a thread here a few weeks ago, where someone had a similar problem. AFAIK, there are at least 2 codes for the PCM module although this may apply only to PCM 2.
3. Finally, again a word of caution. I really wonder whether PCM 1 will fit a MY099 car. My P dealer told me that you will not be able to retrofit this module simply by removing the standard OEM radio and air-con. The wiring harness for PCM and the radio/air-con apparently not compatible. AFAIK, the only thing you can really do to have sat nav easily is to retrofit the Becker Traffic Pro. I recently did this (tempting though are the PCM units on e-bay)and I can direct you to the forum threads if you e-mail me. I don't want to mention another P-car forum here as I don't know if the rules allow this.
4. PCM (2) can definately be retro-fitted to the newer 996 (I think from aroud 2002 onwards). These have a optical cable wiring harness known as MOST Bus technology. Your car will not have this as standard. Hence my warning to be carefull.
Best Wishes Parkman

Last edited by netrophile; 11-02-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:21 AM
netrophile
Track Day

Parkman
Jeff mailed you just as I did! I would ask him direct about your questions-he really does know all there is to know about this kind of stuff. I can only tell you what I have read on these boards.
Jeff is the man!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you relocate the a/c controls and take it out?