Sponsored by:

disconnect battery for a week for seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:13 AM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default disconnect battery for a week for seat repair

I am planning on taking my two front seats out on my 996 to be repaired.It will take about a week .I know I will have to use code for radio ,but what about the other modules,immobilizer,security ,seat memory modules .I have had no problems with this car and I don't want to create problems by disconnecting the electronics.Has anyone disconnected their battery for a week have any problems when reconnect it ? Thanks in advance for any help .
Old 02-02-2017, 05:33 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car?
Only MY 02 and older needs a code.
If you have access to a durametric it is stored in the ECU.
For MY 03 + w/MOST you don't need to worry....
Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

The advice I read when I did this was to be sure to keep your key far away so you don't even think about using it and you will be fine. Worked for me.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

When the seats are removed, do NOT turn the car on or you'll get the dreaded Air-Bag MIL. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:01 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 996 is a 2002 cabriolet ,thanks for your input .I do have a durametric ,so before I pull the seats I will make sure I saved the data from it .The one thing I was concerned about was creating problems with the key program .I did look at the shop manual didn't see anything regarding this.Thanks .
Old 02-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

No issues whatsoever for MkII 996s. Try keep the frunk open and unlocked for extra saferty measure though. You should still be able to apply power in the fuse box to open the frunk lock even with the battery disconnected but why risk it.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

If yo have durametric then why not pull the seat with the battery connected? You can reset the light afterwards and all your settings stay intact.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
If yo have durametric then why not pull the seat with the battery connected? You can reset the light afterwards and all your settings stay intact.
No.

Any time any work is done that involves disconnecting electrical components like in this case seats the battery should be disconnected.

In the case of if an airbag circuit is involved there is the risk of accidental deployment.

There is the risk too of say forgetting to disconnect a connector and damaging the connector when puling the seat out or dropping the seat and cutting the wiring harness. Bad enough to have to deal with a damaged connector or harness but if the car has electrical power this can result in a whole lot more damage possibly to the security module or even the DME.

If the car has a radio that requires a code to enable it is easy enough to pull the code before disconencting the battery and write the code down then enter it again when the battery power is connected.

After the battery is connected the window limits will have to be reset. And if the car has an E-Gas system an E-Gas calibration should be done but this is easy peasy stuff.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Yes, the repair manuals (for every car out there) will always tell you to disconnect the battery but unless you are a total moron and start yanking and throwing the seat around during removal/install (probing the airbag connector with a 9V battery to see what happens) nothing will happen. Use your head and all will be fine. Deploying an airbag is not easy, you really need to go out of your way to energize a dead circuit. But if you are not sure of your capabilities then better to disconnect the battery, step on the bake pedal so the tail lights will drain the stored electricity from the car's circuits (if you are still afraid, wait 30 min.) and then pull the seal.

Quick Reply: disconnect battery for a week for seat repair