Sponsored by:

I think I just got burnt!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:28 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Ours was bought new with the intention of it being used as a hunting vehicle.
Even fabbed a removable dog carrier which hung on the backbumper to carry our bird dogs.
Speaking of bird dogs....how big a boy are you

Old 12-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,349 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarbowski

https://youtu.be/31bdeE_K_Ak
HAHAHA !! I hadn't heard Roy D. Mercer in years !! thankx , I needed that !!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Tulsa Boy! One of the best ever.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:51 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The orange one has some nice grips. Looks lie maybe Interco TSL's or LTB's.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:47 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

The orange one is a piece of art.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Well? Was the knocking noise found? DMF, Cats , or something not shown in the pictures...inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:16 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

You know the old saying, "Patience is a virtue"

I'd suggest reading up on it.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

You know the old saying, "Patience is a virtue"

I'd suggest reading up on it.
Yea I had patience/virtue about 40 years ago, I think I must have grown out of it.

I read up on it and it says it normally happens when you get over 60, and don't have many days left...lol
Old 12-08-2017, 12:35 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yea I had patience/virtue about 40 years ago, I think I must have grown out of it.

I read up on it and it says it normally happens when you get over 60, and don't have many days left...lol
In that case I will give you a pass.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

For those that have been with me since day one this has been a long time coming. Failure and initial thoughts are confirmed below. The seller imo definitely knew about the knocking. People are douche bags and some have a gigantic dose of karma coming their way. Without further ado....

Failure point wasn't too apperant until some measurements were done. 3 out of 6 cylinders were no longer round, all on bank 2. Two of these cylinders were several thousandths of an inch too larger near mid bore. Cylinder 5 was a hundredth of an inch out of round at mid bore.

With this being said I think it's safe to say joe schmo pulled one over on me.

I'm going to talk to the seller one of these days before I get the car back. I'd like to see if I can get him to admit. I don't really care too much about the money. I just dont like being fleeced and lied too.

Any tactics or suggestions are welcome. I'm pretty good at getting people to open up anyways, so I'm not too worried about it.

Cheers folks and Happy New Years!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

gnarbowski, if you and I were good friends an you asked me this question, first I would remind you that you're a very fortunate man to begin with. You're right that it seems hard to believe that the seller wasn't aware that something wasn't right with the car. Assuming we're dealing with a reasonably competent individual, here, we have to assume he knew the 20w50 was overkill, considering there is a Mobil1 0w40 sticker inside of the car.

You've had the resources available to take the engine to the best-of-the-best and have it analyzed, post-mortem, to confirm what everybody probably knew... something was wrong with it. At best, I'd tell you to ask him once more, knowing what we all presently know, if he was aware of the knock when he sold it to you. If he says "No" and most importantly, hypothetically, he did know, then he's a giant douche bag. You can preemptively plead for his sincerity before you ask him the question, but, if he still says "No" afterwards, accept that he could be sincere and move on.

At worst he is a liar, but you've got a great life and there's no need to lower yourself to his level to communicate with him. Be the bigger man, whatever you do.

Best of luck, moreso than the answer to this question I am looking forward to hearing that beast fire up. Happy new year
Old 01-04-2018, 11:46 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
gnarbowski, if you and I were good friends an you asked me this question, first I would remind you that you're a very fortunate man to begin with. You're right that it seems hard to believe that the seller wasn't aware that something wasn't right with the car. Assuming we're dealing with a reasonably competent individual, here, we have to assume he knew the 20w50 was overkill, considering there is a Mobil1 0w40 sticker inside of the car.

You've had the resources available to take the engine to the best-of-the-best and have it analyzed, post-mortem, to confirm what everybody probably knew... something was wrong with it. At best, I'd tell you to ask him once more, knowing what we all presently know, if he was aware of the knock when he sold it to you. If he says "No" and most importantly, hypothetically, he did know, then he's a giant douche bag. You can preemptively plead for his sincerity before you ask him the question, but, if he still says "No" afterwards, accept that he could be sincere and move on.

At worst he is a liar, but you've got a great life and there's no need to lower yourself to his level to communicate with him. Be the bigger man, whatever you do.

Best of luck, moreso than the answer to this question I am looking forward to hearing that beast fire up. Happy new year
Seek him out, hunt him down, and gut him like a farm animal with a dull butter knife. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

To avoid any regret keep the conversation basic. Getting your blood pressure up over his poor behavior is going to tax you more than him.

Congrats on being able to get your car properly rebuilt & best wishes enjoying it going forward.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

You know, it had occurred to me he could be worried you're looking to sue if he admits to anything. Are you willing to put cold water on that theory or is that your end game?
Old 01-05-2018, 07:22 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rolex11
Seek him out, hunt him down, and gut him like a farm animal with a dull butter knife. Just my 2 cents.
Good idea haha

Quick Reply: I think I just got burnt!