Sponsored by:

tune difference after mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default tune difference after mods?

I put a catless xpipe, GT3 TB, intake & IDP Plenum drove it for a while and then put the tune so I could see the difference. I dont notice any difference at all so I dont know if its done anything or not. I asked the company and they more or less said I wont see it because of the mods, ok good you took my money and asked which mods I have to tune for and now after you tell me that it wont do anything because of the mods.

So I am curious if anyone has done these type of mods and then did a tune afterwards did you actually see a difference? I didnt expect miracles based on what i read but really I cant say I see anything at all.

The other thing that seemed very strange to me is that the tune took less than 2 mins, every other car I have done these things on has taken much longer than that so it seems to me whatever is modified must be tiny.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:06 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie

The other thing that seemed very strange to me is that the tune took less than 2 mins, every other car I have done these things on has taken much longer than that so it seems to me whatever is modified must be tiny.
Any OBDII tune I've ever gotten (b5 S4, N54 e92 backend flash) only took a couple minutes.

That being said, a tuner should definitely be able to tune your car for the mods it has. EVO MS did mine and I am very happy. See my thread on my lost DME just below this one today.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

A lot of these aftermarket mods are snake oil. People seen to forget that Porsche engineers did a really good job at getting the most out of an engine and it takes a ton of money to get any real noticeable hp gains.

Good luck with another tune. Maybe you'll get something out of it.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeman
Any OBDII tune I've ever gotten (b5 S4, N54 e92 backend flash) only took a couple minutes.

That being said, a tuner should definitely be able to tune your car for the mods it has. EVO MS did mine and I am very happy. See my thread on my lost DME just below this one today.
Evoms did my tune.
I installed the tune 3/4 of the way through the modifications.
I live in upstate NY, where there are very few dynos available.
I have had planned on doing the dyno at Fabspeed, but they no longer sell Evomsit tunes, they have thier own now.
Evoms said , for best results, I should dyno now, they can tweak the tune based on real data from my engine, then do a few more dyno pulls for final evaluation.
I have 3.6 , IPD comp plenum, gt3 throttle body, kline long tube headers, 200 cell X pipe and Tubi Style mufflers.
also Asco LWFW, Sachs stage II sprung clutch, Tarret X51 oil baffle, RSS underdrive pulley and RSS mounts.
The car pulls very well, but after all this, I want to make sure I am getting the best bang for my buck.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:53 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Evoms did my tune.
I installed the tune 3/4 of the way through the modifications.
I live in upstate NY, where there are very few dynos available.
I have had planned on doing the dyno at Fabspeed, but they no longer sell Evomsit tunes, they have thier own now.
Evoms said , for best results, I should dyno now, they can tweak the tune based on real data from my engine, then do a few more dyno pulls for final evaluation.
I have 3.6 , IPD comp plenum, gt3 throttle body, kline long tube headers, 200 cell X pipe and Tubi Style mufflers.
also Asco LWFW, Sachs stage II sprung clutch, Tarret X51 oil baffle, RSS underdrive pulley and RSS mounts.
The car pulls very well, but after all this, I want to make sure I am getting the best bang for my buck.
Ha! I live in Syracuse. You should come drive mine and we can compare. I did my evo tune separately before my mods and I can promise it added throttle response, some power some torque and smoothness, then it all just got better when I added the other stuff like you have.

Yeah, I would totally log some WOT pulls or hit the dyno in Jersey with me and log there and see what EVO can do for you.

I mean it's not a crazy difference, we're talking like 10 hp and 10 ft/lbs, but I feel good about mine even when it was tune only.

A couple of my buddies have full VAG COMs, so we should be able to log it.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:07 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Ha! I live in Syracuse. You should come drive mine and we can compare. I did my evo tune separately before my mods and I can promise it added throttle response, some power some torque and smoothness, then it all just got better when I added the other stuff like you have.

Yeah, I would totally log some WOT pulls or hit the dyno in Jersey with me and log there and see what EVO can do for you.

I mean it's not a crazy difference, we're talking like 10 hp and 10 ft/lbs, but I feel good about mine even when it was tune only.

A couple of my buddies have full VAG COMs, so we should be able to log it.
I am planning on going to cars and coffee at cantech Saturday, are you going?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:10 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Yes; lol, small world. My name is Kyle. I'll have the Seal Gray '03 C4s
Old 04-27-2017, 03:10 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

you have learned what most knew and a few hold outs refuse to accept. There is not much left in the M96 motor that Porsche didnt all ready put in there. The motor breathes as good as it can from the factory.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:24 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

On a car like the OP's, our tune would add 10-12whp and 8-10wtq over stock, looking simply at the peak increases on the dyno chart.

However, the I feel the bigger benefit, especially on a car running the plenum/throttle body/headers/cats, is that a proper tune like our Stage 3 or 4 file fixes the low end throttle response/driveability and gets rid of two dips/hesitations in the powerband that occur around 2500 and 4000rpm with a tune not designed for those upgrades. It makes the car simply drive properly--throttle response is nice and crisp and the engine pulls all the way through the rev band, like it's supposed to. You pick up a little power as well, but the improvement in behavior rather than just speed/power is the best reason to tune a modified Carrera, IMO.

Sam
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I dont think youre tune took
Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Yes; lol, small world. My name is Kyle. I'll have the Seal Gray '03 C4s
Great, meet you there, red 03 C2
hoping for sunshine
Old 04-27-2017, 03:52 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EVOMS
On a car like the OP's, our tune would add 10-12whp and 8-10wtq over stock, looking simply at the peak increases on the dyno chart.

However, the I feel the bigger benefit, especially on a car running the plenum/throttle body/headers/cats, is that a proper tune like our Stage 3 or 4 file fixes the low end throttle response/driveability and gets rid of two dips/hesitations in the powerband that occur around 2500 and 4000rpm with a tune not designed for those upgrades. It makes the car simply drive properly--throttle response is nice and crisp and the engine pulls all the way through the rev band, like it's supposed to. You pick up a little power as well, but the improvement in behavior rather than just speed/power is the best reason to tune a modified Carrera, IMO.

Sam
Great explaining Sam
My stage IV tune is working really well.
The revs climb so fast now, but I still want you guys to review dyno results if I can it on one.
BTW, Sam and the crew are great to work with.
David D.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:59 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still slower than Viggen with 185k miles though....
Old 04-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still slower than my 2+ golf R..... lol but I don't care. I would have bought a 996tt if I was only after speed. The driving experience of my 996 is amazing. I still smile after 1 year and 11,000 miles of ownership
Old 04-27-2017, 05:02 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

^ agreed my S3 is faster ... which is why I want a Turbo 911 lol

Quick Reply: tune difference after mods?