Sponsored by:

Long distance driving comfort??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:28 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by krazzz
I am currently looking into purchasing a 996. I travel occasionally for business and if the trip is less than 700 miles I prefer to drive rather than fly. Is this a car that would be comfortable and enjoyable for that distance? I am one that only stops for fuel and just like to get where I am going. How do you like the seats after you have been in them for 8 hours? I don't expect it to be as comfortable as my Audi A8 but I don't want to have to visit a chiropractor after each trip either.
The seats are quite comfortable, very adjustable for good seating position, and are a non-issue.

I think a lot will have to do with the particular suspension, wheel/tire combo, and road conditions you drive with.

A standard suspension with 18" wheels and all-season tires on good roads will be very comfortable. A car with lowered or stiffer suspension on 19" wheels and tires with a stiffer sidewall hitting potholes will be a completely different experience. Especially if you add into that a clapped out suspension with rattles/clunks/squeaks etc.

So keep that in mind when looking at cars. If you're looking for one that's more of a GT car, don't buy something where somebody has done a bunch of "go-fast" mods that turn it into a stiff, ruined, rattle trap. It might look cooler, but you'll hate the feel over hundreds of miles. And don't underestimate the difference that wheel size, or even different tire models, can have on ride comfort.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I have driven mine from Chicago to the east coast and back twice. And to Toronto and back twice. Not bad at all. As one previous poster said if the top is down the wind does get you and after a full day on the road toward evening we usually put the top up.

I had a couple of 928's that were more comfortable on long halls, drove them to the west coast and back a couple of times. But I couldn't put the top down!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:32 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brought my car in Fairfield Ca and drove it back to Tucson AZ. 1,000 miles over a couple of days and was amazing how comfortable it was.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

When the 2002 C4S was still new in 2003, with the sport suspension and power seats, I drove from Cleveland Ohio to Virginia International Raceway for a weekend DE. That's an almost 9 hour drive non stop other than gas, bathroom and food, over 500 miles over mountains and small towns, over a variety of good and bad roads. After the DE, I drove from VIR to Hilton Head SC. That's another 6 hour drive, almost 400 miles, this time over mostly open highways. After a week of sun and fun, I drove back to Cleveland. That's another 12 hours driving 800 miles. Guess what? I also did that non stop except for gas, bathroom and food.

A also drove to Watkins Glen another time. Almost 300 miles, under 5 hours.

I also did the Cleveland to Hilton Head and back in my wife's Boxster S. Highway driving, keep the top up and the AC on. When in the island, then yeah, top down, baby!

Needless to say, VIR and Watkins Glen are a ton of fun to drive for DE. As to the long drives, I also had a lot of fun, dropped the calculated driving times significantly, radar detector protected . Torrential downpour for an hour before Hilton Head was a dampener, but no issues with the 911. As for comfort, well it's not as comfortable as the other vehicles in my garage, but I didn't hesitate getting in the 911 for the drives, and had absolutely no regrets in doing so. Then I track prepped the car, with R compound tires and racing buckets. Man, those R compounds wear out quick, so now I trailer the car.

Bottom line, if your concern is comfort, get a sofa on 4 wheels like a Volvo. If you are willing to sacrifice SOME comfort and get paid back in fun-to-drive, then the 911 is for you. The ride is firm, not harsh, the seats supportive, not hard nor plushy. If you have the stock 911 suspension and you find the long drives harsh, then either there is something amiss with the suspension, or something amiss with you! LOL
Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove 300 miles to the track, did a track day, and drove it home a day later.

Very comfortable, no problems. My car also has M030 suspension.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Palting dude that's awesome! Agreed on both tracks being great btw

I've done many long trips in 996s also, some of the most fun were planning several weeks of going to more than one track, biking, etc. It's doable but in my old age (now 35), I'm finding some other cars more comfortable now and again. That said, the stability and responsiveness of a sports car has advantages over GT/comfort cars also, especially when cruising. Tighter steering means fewer corrections for example, and the car is easier to place.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 PM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
As one previous poster said if the top is down the wind does get you and after a full day on the road toward evening we usually put the top up.
I found with the top down in traffic the noise is fatiguing. Just driving a hour and a half across Houston stinks with the top down hearing all the tire noise. However, out of the city in "TX hill country" it is a blast with the top down on back roads.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 PM
PeaCar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty terrible.

I'm young, and I find these cars to be pretty terrible for long distance comfort. Any 911 for that fact, not unique to the 996.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:20 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PeaCar
Pretty terrible.

I'm young, and I find these cars to be pretty terrible for long distance comfort. Any 911 for that fact, not unique to the 996.
I agree with 993 and older cars. Pre-996 911s are horrific ergonomically. It seems like they designed the car, and then only at the last minute realized they needed to be able to install human occupants into it. Controls are all terribly placed and the seating position is weird. It's a very unique experience to drive one. The 996 is pretty much a regular car inside though; it doesn't feel remarkably different in terms of seating position or controls.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Eury
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 40 and fat with a bad back. I find my 996 (01 C4 Cabrio) to be a great long distance car. I did a 500 mile drive last week with it (250 mi each way to pick up a hard top, no stops aside from the one at the 150mi mark) and was comfortable the whole time. My back didn't hurt, which is unusual, and even in stop and go traffic for a while I didn't have any issues. I'd gladly leave tomorrow and drive it to the west coast from NH where I am.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:47 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Has OP responded? Or is he trying to set a record for longest conversation started without interaction

I feel...used
Old 06-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

It's just ok compared to our other cars and truck, (E350, E550, Boxster and Sierra Denali).

We have driven all these cars between Seattle and Palm Springs and although fun to drive the 996 is the least comfortable. The E550 V8 Bi Turbo cab is the fastest but my wife and I agree that the truck is by far the most comfortable and relaxing cross country cruiser, sad isn't it.
The following users liked this post:
igrip (01-08-2024)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Has OP responded? Or is he trying to set a record for longest conversation started without interaction

I feel...used
LOL. I'm starting to feel the same....used. I think this thread should now be closed by the mods.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM
dallison28
Pro

My 996 was much more comfortable than our tsx. We are both very skinny and my *** usually hurts after 90 minutes. This was the most comfortable i have been on a long drive.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:57 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longest drive I've done is 4hrs. Very comfortable for that length of time although I did wear ear plugs.

Quick Reply: Long distance driving comfort??