Sponsored by:

Long distance driving comfort??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 AM
krazzz
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long distance driving comfort??

I am currently looking into purchasing a 996. I travel occasionally for business and if the trip is less than 700 miles I prefer to drive rather than fly. Is this a car that would be comfortable and enjoyable for that distance? I am one that only stops for fuel and just like to get where I am going. How do you like the seats after you have been in them for 8 hours? I don't expect it to be as comfortable as my Audi A8 but I don't want to have to visit a chiropractor after each trip either.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Looneybin
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I drove from San Diego to Sacramento, only stopping for fuel
By the time I got there, it felt like my kidneys were going to fall out

I can even imagine how 700 miles would feel
It would definitely be more than 8 hours, probably more like 12, unless you are in Wyoming and you can bomb along at 120 mph
Old 06-26-2017, 01:14 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I disagree! I've driven mine on several 600-800 mile trips and done just fine. It will be noisier than the Audi, for sure. I find wearing earplugs helps enormously in keeping you refreshed. You can hear the radio fine, and even converse with your passenger, but the little bit less noise really helps you actually feel better when you arrive. I have some nerve problems in my leg that bother me on long drives (even in wife's RX350), but one of those neck pillows you see people flying with is just the trick for taking pressure off. You probably won't need it, but for anyone with lower back or leg issues, these pillows are nice to have along.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:23 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I drove from Dallas TX to the west coast near LAX airport in 24hrs with 2 1hour breaks to eat. I am average height & weight & love how the standard seat fits me.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 AM
c.johnson49
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i have driven my 996 from Phoenix to Salt Lake about 7 times (600+ mile trip). And it make a 10 hour drive seem like 4 by the time you are finished. There is a point when you are driving that you just feel part of the car and I just stop for fuel and snacks as well. You can get on it to make the dull parts go by faster and slow down for the parts you just want to cruise. Speaking of cruising, the cruise control is effortless and will keep your speed regardless of hill grade. There is more noise but doesn't bother me, the only thing that bothers me is speed limits.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 AM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

done some big drives in my 996, London UK to Krakow PL around 1050 miles in a day. I got out fine the other end. I have the sports seats and 6'3. Having the roof down makes you tired. Mileage to fuel is surprising good on highways. it feels like it revs high(manual 6 speed) in cruise compared to other cars BMW 6 series etc. Feels like it needs a 7th gear. cruise control works well. Bluetooth is a must. Bose stereo is good, the pcm1 isn't very good for NAV these days, so use phone. reasonable luggage behind the seats. The lights work well at night. Honestly it is a sports car, and not a GT car. so it is expected not to be as comfortable, quiet as a BMW 6 or other GT like cars. But still fine for 10-17 hrs stints.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:13 AM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Have done many 900 mile trips and can say that my MK1 996 is a good GT car - i am an average size guy and my car has stock suspension and wheels - recently drove my 2003 turbo 1200 miles and it is also pretty good but the stiffer suspension and smaller gas tank are negatives
Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my 99 in Seattle and drove home to Dallas. Only 2 issues - the door armrest is as hard as a rock and Michelin PS2's that were on it then were really, really loud. Otherwise, it was a champ.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:13 AM
2002C2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife and (adult) kids say the seats are uncomfortable on long trips. Trick for me is not to slouch. Move the backrest forward a bit and stay in contact with it and you can drive forever. My car is lowered and a little stiff but still great for long trips IMO.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Wife and I drove from Denver to Dallas with our little girl in a terrible snow and ice storm when we bought it this year. It's not the best long haul driver, but I was honestly surprised by the comfort, room (compared to my expectations) and stability of the car in bad weather.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by c.johnson49
You can get on it to make the dull parts go by faster and slow down for the parts you just want to cruise. Speaking of cruising, the cruise control is effortless and will keep your speed regardless of hill grade. There is more noise but doesn't bother me, the only thing that bothers me is speed limits.
+1. Compared to other comfortable cruisers it may be a little more tiring, but I like to use noise canceling headphones on long drives or flights to stay fresh. Some longer weekends approaching 1k miles have left me a big fan of road tripping the 996. It really shines at mid to high speeds on open roads - enjoy!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I drove from New Hampshire to Cincinnati. I believe it was 1300 miles. As someone else mentioned the arm rest on the door is hard and definitely gets uncomfortable - but it was overall pretty comfy. For a car that you 'occasionally' drive long distances I think you're fine. If it's something you need to do regularly I'm sure there are better options. I'd look for features like adaptive cruise control and lane assist. Auto pilot would be ideal but the 800 mile requirement disqualifies teslas.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:53 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by krazzz
I am currently looking into purchasing a 996. I travel occasionally for business and if the trip is less than 700 miles I prefer to drive rather than fly. Is this a car that would be comfortable and enjoyable for that distance? I am one that only stops for fuel and just like to get where I am going. How do you like the seats after you have been in them for 8 hours? I don't expect it to be as comfortable as my Audi A8 but I don't want to have to visit a chiropractor after each trip either.
If you purchase a 996 with full power seats, which includes lumbar support, you should be able to find a very comfortable position for long trips. Make sure the seats are not worn out (high mileage vehicle with a heavy driver). I had to replace my seats with new seats. Either way replacement seats or reupholstered seats will cost well over $1,000, probably closer to $2,000. Be ready for that expense plus the additional $5,000 in maintenance most 15 year old Porsches need. YMMV.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:01 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2003 C2 with leather seats. I have driven it 12 hours in a day, PHL > ATL. I would say that it is "OK" comfort-wise. Not torture, but not BMW or Mercedes sedan style comfort, either. I do not view 500 mile drives as its strong suit, if for no other reason than the reality that 500 mile of Interstate is simply not where it excels.

I drove from Philly to Atlanta in a day, and it was work. I took three days coming back, and didn't see an Interstate from just north of the SC line to somewhere in Virginia (briefly). That was FUN.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:18 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

We drove my '03 C4S 700 mi day for 4 days from WA state to Hershey, PA, and back. It was a joy, and my wife never complained.5800mi total.

Quick Reply: Long distance driving comfort??