Europipe for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:34 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by rockitman
Point well taken Colm!!! I will be doing the 2 day PDE at Skip Barber in Birmingham this Spring. It will only enhance the perfomance of the europipe that I'm about to get...
PDE is held at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, no afffiliation with Skip Barber.
BTW:In May you can do back to back begining and advanced courses, if you can swing it it's the way to go, keeps the learning momentum going 4 straight days
Old 12-11-2003, 09:34 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you use your own car at the PDE events or do they have to provide you with a 996?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:03 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ADOGNY
Can you use your own car at the PDE events or do they have to provide you with a 996?
I suppose if you wanted to drive it to alabama at barber motor park, they could accomodate you...give them a call

http://www.porschedriving.com
Old 12-12-2003, 12:11 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PDE provides you with a 996 for the course.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Ordered the EP today, but won't be here in time for the dyno day at AWE 12/22. I may wait to install it when we have some decent weather for me to make the trip to install it at AWE and run a dyno before and after the cat/muffler swap. Stef at EP is very helpful and provided these responses to some of the questions I had asked him...

1) Our 100 cell race cats will not cause a Check Engine Light problem .
We had the original 300 cell GT3 cats chemically analysed . According to this chemical analysis our cats are specially coated for street use . The chemical coating is superior to the coating of regular race cats .
The US GT3 engine is identical to the European GT3 counterpart in terms of Lambda / O2 sensor setup .
You do not need an ECU reprogramming with the new exhaust .
However , an ECU reprogramming will indeed maximize the performance of the exhaust system .

2) The dyno graphs are from 1) stock engine , 2) stock engine with the new
exhaust , stock (not reprogrammed) ECU and stock aircleaner .

Dyno stock pipe: 385.1 PS (Hp)
383 NM Torque

Dyno europipe: 397.7 PS (Hp)
394 NM Torque

In summary: +12 HP, +8 lbs/feet torque

At the wheels before(stock): 278 (PS) Hp
At the wheels after EP: 304 (PS) Hp

That's +26 at the wheels!!! Not to mention the awesome note...

Here's how it looks installed on their demo car in their spotless shop...

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:33 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

what is the gain with ECU change?
Old 12-14-2003, 01:59 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh...Can someone explain to me how RWHP can increase at a rate greater than, in fact more than double, overall HP from an exhaust upgrade? Wouldn't this require a substantial decrease in powertrain loss, etc...?
Old 12-14-2003, 02:17 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by bob_dallas
uh...Can someone explain to me how RWHP can increase at a rate greater than, in fact more than double, overall HP from an exhaust upgrade? Wouldn't this require a substantial decrease in powertrain loss, etc...?
Wish I knew, but those figures come off the charts under "Radleistung" when translated from German, means "Wheel Achievement"...So I took that to mean rwhp....
Old 12-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the numbers don't work, for them to check flywheel hp they must remove the engine and the drive train loss is large. Stock the rwhp is low.

The gain in rwhp with the exhaust compared to stock dose not make sense.

I believe you will gain hp/tq with the exhaust but those figures are no accurate.

Old 12-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bob_dallas
I agree with you Bob -- those numbers have got to be off -- the RWHP will always be less than the crank/flywheel HP. Perhaps they were reversed -- EP should know the exact RWHP gain, since that's what the dyno (graph) should reveal with appropriate corrections. Most tuners will then back into a crank HP figure by using (typically) some unrealistic multiplier.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:20 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Rockit -

I am eager to see how it works out for you. While I agree the numbers do not seem to make sense, your personal experience and seat of the pants analysis will be valuable.

Adam
Old 12-14-2003, 06:56 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Will do...I will question the wheel achievement numbers with Stef to discuss the descrepancy...The crank number at 397 is realistic...however...Either way, I have not seen a finer exhaust that has been made for the GT3, IMO...

The question has been emailed to EP....I will post the reply, so you guys don't lose too much sleep...

Last edited by rockitman; 12-14-2003 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:29 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I found this
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=rwhp

it shows 351 rwhp which seems good, what is the drive train loss % on these cars.
What ever it is i think your dyno testing of stock rwhp to after market exhaust install will bring you gain and you should see up to 360-370 rwhp with some good under/over the curve gains which is what really will be the seat of the pants difference.

I will buy a GT3 this spring and will also look at doing this exhaust change, I will have to import it from the US, one question i have is can you switch from mph to kh/m manually in the car.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2003, 08:20 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

The US model shows only mph for the speedometer guage dial and has a digital reading below it in mph. I am not sure if the digital readout can be changed to kilometers/hour or not...None the less, the dial itself only show's mph. I would think this could be changed by the dealer or yourself, if you could order the parts...
Old 12-14-2003, 10:49 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE: conversion from MPH to KM/H - Haven't done it in my new one but it was easy in my old 996 - I'm assuming you can still do it. It was about as difficult as setting the clock IIRC (in fact, that's how I discovered it ).

Quick Reply: Europipe for GT3