Sponsored by:

GT Purely Porsche January Article

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 01:12 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GT Purely Porsche January Article

I do not have the magazine yet as I am in the US. Has anyone read the article on the GT3 / GT2 comparison?

Here is some wording from their web site...Jumping up and down where angels fear to tread, Stuart Gallagher pitches the new GT3 against the turbocharged rear wheel drive GT2. Can the clean-cut athlete in the Porsche household take on the family lunatic without getting a bloody nose?

It's been the burning question for all GT3 fans since the revised version was introduced early this year. Dominic Holtam pits old versus new to find out if the Mark II GT3 can eclipse its illustrious predecessor. And the result isn't as obvious as you'd think either…

2004 GT3 (Jan Prod)
2002 C4S
1994 540i
Old 12-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

i haven't got mine yet either but i'm psyched to see this; i wrote them a letter 5 months ago requesting this comparison, fun -- the 2 greatest Porsches extant!!!!

i wonder if they had an 04 GT2 with the new suspension....
Old 12-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Hi folks.
Was a great read this issue.
Basically a GT3 mk1 v GT3 mk2 v GT2 mk 1 v TT.
Appaling conditions on a very wet circuit meant road tests weren't as conclusive as we'd have hoped. However, usual stuff about the intimidacy of GT2 on wet, accessibility of TT and it's ability to destroy all else on the right road and conditions.
GT3 mk 1 was said to be a better track tool as it appeared to be the more focused, whereas the GT3 mk2 was said to be the better all rounder.

All got fab reviews overall.

Cem
Old 12-26-2003, 11:19 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Can someone post this article somehow? Anyone got a scanner?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:15 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

I received the January edition today in the mail. I am not sure if it we are allowed to scan the article for this forum - someone please let me know.

It was a 2003 GT2 versus a 2004 GT3.
A couple of quotes:
"The GT3 feels like a cart in comparison. While it lacks the GT2's tremendous grunt, power and acceleration, it more than makes up for with a soundtrack to die for and a power unit that revs with such an infectious enthusiasm you can't help but take it to its peak in all six gears. Which can be shifted with more confidence as speed than the GT2's.."

"It's a tough decision, but ultimately it's the GT3 that gets our vote. The Porsche 911 doesn't get much better than this."
Old 01-06-2004, 09:18 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

You can scan it and email it...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Default Re: GT Purely Porsche January Article

Originally posted by GTGTGT
I do not have the magazine yet as I am in the US. Has anyone read the article on the GT3 / GT2 comparison?

2004 GT3 (Jan Prod)
2002 C4S
1994 540i
GT3 Mk 1 best
GT3 Mk 2 not quite as good as MK 1
GT2 Faster in a straight line and on a dry day, otherwise in third place.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:18 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

What did they say made the mk 1 better?

I believe all the stats I've read shows the mk 1 to be significantly slower in a straight line way more than you would expect for a car that only has 20 less horsepower than the mk II
Old 01-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Originally posted by brh986
What did they say made the mk 1 better?

I believe all the stats I've read shows the mk 1 to be significantly slower in a straight line way more than you would expect for a car that only has 20 less horsepower than the mk II
Very little difference in sprint times between Mk1 and Mk2. Maybe one tenth of a second 0-60.

Mk 2 is heavier and understeers a little more than Mk 1. Both fine cars but Mk1 handles better and allegedly will beat Mk2 round a circuit. Suspision is that Mk 2 was made with the American market in mind. The theory is that the RS is the true succesor to the MK1
Old 01-08-2004, 10:14 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

I would have to disagree based on the article. The MK1 handles better in the wet, and the MK2 handles better in the dry. I would be interested to see which tires where on the test MK2 car for the test. Based on previous posts and reading, the new Pirelli tires seam to help resolve the understeer problems. If the Mk1 will beat the MK2 around a circuit, why is it that the MK2 ran faster around the Ring?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:22 AM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Based on my original post, I'm not sure where you got those facts from Madcap.

The article pretty clearly defined the two by giving the final analysis as:

Mk1 was the better track car (albeit with terrible brakes)
Mk2 was the better all rounder, more competent on roads.

I suspect this has something to do with suspension set up?

Cem
Old 01-09-2004, 04:39 AM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The biggest problem with the MK1 was it's brakes. It came with 4 pot calipers as standard, which compared to the MK2's 6 pots cannot endure heavy use on a fast circuit such as the Ring or SPA for very long. The first mod anybody with a MK1 who tracks it is to fit the MK2's 6 pot calipers and discs with Pagid Orange pads.
Another problem with the original GT3 is that it came with 7.5 section front wheels, which in the dry tend to understeer a bit. Again, fitting 8 or 8.5 front wheels and having the suspension and geometry set up properly dials out this tendency to push on, making the car more than a match for the MK2.
Although the Mk2 has 20 odd BHP more, this is somewhat negated by the slight increase in weight, especially true on the comfort models. Head to head, a slightly "improved" MK1 is more than a match for the MK2's.

So now you know!!

Regards,

Steve B
Old 01-09-2004, 05:53 AM
Bruce G
AutoX

HI Guys,

If you read the article closely you'll see that the Mk. 1 had Pirellis, the Mk. 2 was wearing std. issue PS2s, but crucially the Mk. 1 had been set up for the track. Talk to anyone who knows his onions and they'll tell you how much of a difference it makes having this done.

Therefore, I'm afraid the article can only be judged to be inconclusive, other than they're both Great (with a capital G) cars!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

well boys of the Empire,

anyone else care to compare MK II with GT2? i find the MK II superior in every way except power. i think the 04 GT2 suspension twitches may bring it very close to MK II, excepting the 106# weight penalty.

i remain:

Waiting not so Patiently for the f.g Magazine to arrive at Malibu
Old 01-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: GT Purely Porsche January Article

Originally posted by GTGTGT
Can the clean-cut athlete in the Porsche household take on the family lunatic without getting a bloody nose?
I didn't like the article and I'm tried of this "yet another" thinly-veiled advertising rag. This article was another example of the opinion-free crap filling the magazines -- four cars, four winners -- pathetic.

Quick Reply: GT Purely Porsche January Article