Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a car and negotiating...also GT3 market value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 01:04 PM
offroadr35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a car and negotiating...also GT3 market value?

So i am 99% sure i am going to order a GT3 today. First of all, are these cars selling below sticker? If so, what is reasonable?

I have never special ordered a car before, always just bought off the lot. However, i do not want this car until august anyway so i figured i may as well order exactly what i want. When you order a car are you stuck at MSRP? If not, how does the whole negotiation process go?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I've heard of a few people who have claimed they got the cars for below sticker but I believe most of us paid MSRP. Best chance of getting a discount is to find a dealer with something on the lot they are trying to move. There are a few around but not many. Check AutoWeek ads or the PCNA web site. The negotiation process is like with any other expensive, limited production car, it's a supply and demand issue combined with how much patience the dealer has to wait for someone who might come along that is willing to pay more.

If you want to take delivery in August, you'll want to look for someone with a June/July build date allocation.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:58 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Claxton, Did you buy it off Dealer floor, or was it ordered by you?
Thanks Bill
Old 01-16-2004, 03:29 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Claxton, where are you located? I'm not sure that tactic would work here in Northern CA where GT3's are scarce. All the dealers I've spoken to with allocations won't go below MSRP.

or

Maybe I just suck at Negotiating ?
Old 01-16-2004, 03:48 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default I bought mine last weekend at msrp......

I had been reading the tests, kind of thinking it might be the right car for me to move up to when a friend here who knows Porsches told me he had driven one, and was raving about it, best 911 he has ever been in etc, etc. That did it, I was sold!!

I called to a couple of local dealers here in LA who just laughed at me when I said I wanted a GT3; all gone, and not a chance of finding one. I went to Porsche's own dealer locator on their website, pulled up California, and started dialing. The cars are out there, you've just got to keep calling. I got to M, found my choice of specs and color, all at msrp. Happily it was no more than an hour away, so I went to look at it, and drove it home three hours later!

Just keep dialing, know what you want, and don't be discouraged, they are out there. Claxton may well have benefited from being in a slow sales spot, and being a great negotiator, so take his lead, and ring the midwest too. You can find what you want!

Happy hunting
Old 01-16-2004, 04:44 AM
Hamann7
User

Hey Macfly,

Nice to see you away from the world of BM Trouble U!!!

Congrats on your GT3-- you will absolutely love it. I had one on order until I decided instead to drive a highly modded 996TT.

However, next week I am getting my 996 GT2. We should definitely meet up sometime and go for a drive!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:36 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Ola Hamann, hope you got all the M5 stuff sorted out ok, I haven't been over on that board for a long while. Where are you getting your 996TT from, I saw a very tricked out one at Autohaus the other day, is that yours?

I'm always up for a drive, and am planning to be at the POC DE at Streets of Willow, (Jan 31-Feb 1) which I have never driven before. Are you heading up to that?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:01 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

You did pretty good Claxton. Of course, if the contract is made with a distant dealership, one has to add in the cost of getting the car home. Claxton only has about 70 miles to go for his, so no problem
Old 01-18-2004, 10:08 PM
blustem
Instructor

Claxton, I just put a deposit on a seal grey gt3 in Denver for 122k, 2k over sticker(I had them fax me the window sticker).The car has 650 mi. on it.I live in Olathe and I can't seem to find anything close. Am I crazy for paying over sticker on a 650 mi. car? I would prefer red but I do like seal grey.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Claxton
Track Day

Originally posted by blustem
Claxton, I just put a deposit on a seal grey gt3 in Denver for 122k, 2k over sticker(I had them fax me the window sticker).The car has 650 mi. on it.I live in Olathe and I can't seem to find anything close. Am I crazy for paying over sticker on a 650 mi. car? I would prefer red but I do like seal grey.
blustem, I live in Olathe too. We should get together.

Did you check Aristocrat?
You might check these:
Springfield:Lipscomb Porsche, 800-826-9750
Wichita: Scholfield 800-362-0943
Topeka: Sunflower Motors, 785-266-8480
Omaha: Stan Olsen 402-397-8200

If you are looking for one on the showroom floor you might have a hard time. If they have any in allocation that haven't been spoken for, then you should be able to negotiate a deal.

You aren't crazy for paying any price if the car is worth it to you. It is all up to the individual buyer.

BTW: I went with seal grey as well. I love it.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:58 AM
blustem
Instructor

I would like to get together.2 seal grey GT3's in Olathe,Ks.- who'd a thought? I'm suprised I haven't seen your car.My e-mail is justin@laborpros.net. Do you go to Porsche club? I go sometimes.Actually I live in Overland Park(Crown Chase apartments) but I'm building a house on 139th and Pflumm. I lived in Olathe prior however my ex-wife and my ex-house still live in Olathe.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:07 PM
blustem
Instructor

I did check Aristocrat and they said May build.I don't want to wait.They have been most unhelpful trying to locate one for me,which is suprising.I would like to see your car as I am waffling on the seal grey one in Denver.I did call your #'s and Drew in Springfield is going to try and help.Thanks for the leads.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:43 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

$122K sounds like a highly optioned GT3, and with 650 miles you are DEFINITELY paying too much. The sticker on mine was $108 and change (No PCCB), and I paid $1000 under here in NY. I was lucky in that they had the car I wanted and the dealership is 5 minutes from my house. They gave me the right price being a repeat customer as well.

Take the slot on the other car and then keep shopping. The wait is well worth it to get the exact car you want.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

anyone who needs a Gt3, mine should be for sale soon. AS 3k 104 window, xenon, $98K watt@oakwoodcap.com
Old 01-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I have bought my last several cars more than 100 miles from my home, since what I wanted wasn't available locally. I negotiate over the phone with the dealer's sales manager. I have found the managers to be very accessable by phone, I never ask for a salesman. Once we agree, I confirm the deal with a fax, and drive or in two cases flew to the dealer to pick up the car. Each time the car and paper work has been ready when I arrived and I've been on my way home in around 30 minutes.

I've come to the conclusion it is a disadvantage to walk into the dealer and actually talk to a salesman unless you need them to help with your order. Once you are there, in the showroom, the attitude seems to be: "gotcha, let's play games".

Quick Reply: Ordering a car and negotiating...also GT3 market value?