Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finalizing GT3 Order: Should I go SY or AS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 12:06 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finalizing GT3 Order: Should I go SY or AS?

I know this one has been beaten to death...but greatly appreciate your opinions.

I'm down to finalizing my color, going either SY/Blk or ASilver/Blk and wanted to know what other color combinations you guys were considering before you made your final decision.

From what I can see, SY seems to bring out the personality of the GT3 more than any other color, imho. thats not to say other colors are not great, of course, to each his own, I happen to like Rockitman's seal grey, but that color is no longer available, and of course AS too.

I'm not concerned about resale, so any other input pro or con, greatly appreciate. It just seems that Arctic Silver is very popular, I think it works well on a gt2, turbo, c4s, but not so sure about the GT3.

What you guys think?
Old 01-17-2004, 01:29 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I think it is a matter of taste, and needs. Do you want everyone to see you coming, or do you want to be a little less visible?

The yellow certainly seems to be the color Porsche choose to showcase the car, and I think it looks wonderful in silver too. I'm especially keen on the cobalt blue that was shown in another post recently, that looked really elegant on the car. I got slate grey because I wanted to be as steathy as possible, and I think it is the color that best camoflages the car.

You really can't go wrong if you know what you want it to look like in your life, just imagine yourself doing the journies that you want to, and imagine the different colors, then you'll be able to 'feel' which suits you and your life best.

Happy motoring!!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:12 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default color of the GT3?

I have had my GT3 now since June. I can tell you that I also wondered it I was doing the right thing getting SY. I can now tell you that I am so glad that I did. The car always looks spectacular and I love seeing that yellow shine out the windshield of the front fenders. It is the second car I have ever gotten in yellow (the first was a beetle). It is a "happy" color and when I drive the car it definitely adds to the driving pleasure.

Last edited by LonnieR; 02-12-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:31 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: color of the GT3?

Originally posted by LonnieR
I have had my GT3 now since June. I can tell you that I also wondered it I was doing the right thing getting SY. I can now tell you that I am so glad that I did. The car always looks spectacular and I love seeing that yellow shine out the windshield of the front fenders.
I second this.

Speed Yellow, the official colour for the GT3.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:36 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by macfly
I got slate grey because I wanted to be as steathy as possible, and I think it is the color that best camoflages the car.

macfly, I have yet to see slate grey...would love to see a pic of it on your car...
Old 01-17-2004, 09:52 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

If the weather is clear in the am I'll take some snaps of it and post them later on in the day. besides I need to get myself a personalized avatar ready too, since I'll be allowed one of those soon!

There was a seal gray 911 sitting right beside mine in the dealers when I went to get the car, slate looks to be about a 40% step towards black from seal. I think seal will always photograph better than the slate, as slate is moving too close to black and all the inherent problems that come with photographing black cars. I love the way your avatar and signature pix look, the seal is a really photo-friendly color.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks mac...would you say slate looks closer to Atlas grey, but with less of a blue hue???
Old 01-17-2004, 11:52 PM
DealMan
Advanced

I used to have a slate grey '01 TT and the color actually has hints of green and taupe, which creates different hues in sunlight. I really loved the color, and if I had been fortunate enough to order my GT2 I would have chosen the color again.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:10 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

Simple really,

Arctic Silver is by far the most popular color for any current Porsche, therefore if re-sale value/speed is important to you go for that...

SY will show the dirt more than AS (not as badly as black tho' )

As you say relsale does'nt matter to you, get what makes YOU feel best after all you're paying enough for it!!!

Luke,
Black 993 - gone
SY Boxster S - now
Black or SY GT3 next
Old 01-20-2004, 09:29 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Mine is AS and I am very happy with it. I was also concerned with resale, so it was a clear choice there. My 96TT was arena red and while I loved it and Porsche used that color to market the car, its resale was not even close to that of Silver or Black. I will say that I did not feel the Black really brought out the lines of the car (GT3) and with it being a high maintanence color, it was not an option for me.

Adam
Old 01-20-2004, 10:00 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I think color is a matter of opinion and I love the GT3 in Guards Red.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 AM
yongster
Racer

Pick the colour YOU want and move on !!!

Quick Reply: Finalizing GT3 Order: Should I go SY or AS?