Sponsored by:

How Fast in a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 06:13 PM
GTGTGT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How Fast in a GT?

So....How fast has everyone had their GT2/3? With a top speed sooo high, I was curious whether the gearing is warrented? What was the car like at speed? Where did you drive that fast? How long did you hold the speed?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:56 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Speed in GT3

I picked the car up in Germany and on the autobahn in Austria I had the car to 184MPH. It was solid, with the feel that it was not fully spent yet.
One thing is that you must keep both hands on the wheel for it tends to find the road grooves a go with them if you let it.

Picture below is in the Stelvio Pass.

BTW-my license plate number is GTGTGT.

Last edited by LonnieR; 02-12-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:08 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

There are only a few places I'd dare try that here in the US, and they are all more than a days drive out into the great open desert areas of NV - UT. So far, just running in, and getting to know the car I have only seen 105, but it gets there so easily, the motor of the GT3 really is a splendid device, it has sooo much useable torque, and makes power so easily. I am sure that it will do what ever it is Porsche say it will (190?) in still, cool winter morning air way out there somewhere. Looking forward to finding out one day ;-)
Old 01-18-2004, 12:17 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Lonnie, you must be one of the first to get a GT3, no? If I remember you posted pictures like the one here as the mountain pass looks familiar. One of your photos was so good it was my background for a long time while I waited for my car to arrive. I got AS, but my wife actually preferred the speed yellow! Great photos- and where the car begs to be driven!
Old 01-18-2004, 10:22 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Each time I've been over 130 I really felt the rear end twitching"

If you have had that kind of feeling, then there is something wrong with the car's set up. I routinely exceed 130 and I have never experienced that kind of feeling. The car is rock solid at those low-high speeds.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:26 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

SKI-
My car was the second US car delivered. I picked it up in Germany on June 11th and then I got it back to the states on August 1st. I picked it up the week after the cars were released from the port after that problem with the EPA. They had to reprogram the ECUs to conform to the EPA requirements.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:32 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lon, I noticed your sig; think I may have to sell the GT3 and get me a Lotus, too.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Bentley
Banned

As I have mentioned in other posts, the demarcation speed of 200 k.p.h. is typically used for assessment of frailties in set ups of Porsches or other premium vehicles for E & E driving. The fact that most Porsche owners do not typically achieve those speeds on the highway makes the problem not appear. A car lacking all wheel drive is particularly prone to such behavior IF IMPROPERLY SET-UP. Too much toe, at 200+ k.p.h. can ABET the rear end twitching of which you write. You should go to a Porsche professional and check your car's alignment.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:49 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Lonnie, you'll have to tell us about your experiences with the Lotus when it comes if that's legal on a Porsche forum! We saw several a couple years ago on holiday in England and my boys (17 and 20) were salivating about when they'd be available here. Seems like a new version of the 914- light, midengined and like a go-kart for the street. I'd be a little nervous with one in Iowa (probably a day from the nearest dealer) but I've had great luck with my wife's MCS so far and that dealer is 3 1/2 hours away... keep us informed!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Weng
Instructor

288km/h and the car was still pulling - had to lift off for highway traffic. I feel most comfortable with a 180-220km/h cruise although I've had the car in the 230-250km/h range for extended distances without fuss. Need to be careful though of cross winds - can cause the heart rate to rise a bit in a car that already tends to wander a bit on its own.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:21 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

285km/h and still pulling on a 4 lane freeway without any traffic, very stable up to 250km/h.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:16 AM
rsnodgrass
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the fourth day on the cross country trip picking up the GT3 I hit 165 mph on an extremely deserted highway in the middle of nowhere. The car was rock solid stable (even without the front splitter). At that point I just questioned what the hell was I doing and slowed her down a few notches. She was still pulling extremely strong at that speed.

I've had the GT3 over 130 fairly regularly since and it never feels more twitchy than at slower speeds. It does wander a bit, particularly on grooved surfaces. In fact as long as you are feeding some throttle the platform feels really solid, particularly through large sweepers. I only start to feel uncomfortable in slower tight corners where I'm playing more with the throttle for steering. And of course on corner exit where I'm really pushing her with serious throttle, but that is expected.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:49 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

I got in trouble for this once, but got it to 180 so far and it definitely had more. The car only got twitchy when I hit some minor dips or valleys in the road. Other than that car was solid as can be and sounded incredible. I do think when I get to use it more on the track, I will regear the car. Anything over 170 is really unecessary...
Old 01-20-2004, 12:22 PM
LG1
Track Day

Highest I've seen on the digital speedo of my RS has been 322 kmh (don't know the exact mph convertion), and believe it or not the car could pull a bit more (not too much though...).
Car feels very solid, even above 300 kmh.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watch out for random Wildlife at those speeds -
This was some kind of brown field chicken thing which decided to cross the road when i was doing about 130mph in South Dakota on my way out to Seattle.

Quick Reply: How Fast in a GT?